The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

124 views
WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 15.4 - Go Green

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 19, 2011 10:59AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
15.4 Go Green: Is it easy being green?
Read TWO books from the options below- You MAY choose the same option twice.
A. Read a book with "green" in the title, subtitle, or series title- "green" should be found intact in any word.
B. Read a book by an author named "green"- "green" should be found intact in any name
C. Read a book with a green cover
D. Read a non-fiction book shelved as Environment, Climate Change, Global Warming, Nature, Sustainability, Green (be careful, many here are fiction) Your book does not need to appear on these "popular" lists, but the genre should appear in your book's genre list.

OR

Read ONE book that fits 2 of the above categories
Required: Please identify the option you used when you post


message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Dec 02, 2011 03:47AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
green covers
The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1) by Daniel Abraham Green Darkness by Anya Seton These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3) by Jan Karon Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver 1022 Evergreen Place (Cedar Cove series, #10) by Debbie Macomber Nobody's Princess (Nobody's Princess, #1) by Esther M. Friesner The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning #1) by John Stephens Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1) by Yvonne Woon

Fulfills ONE book option
non-fiction environmental & green cover
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver Silent Spring by Rachel Carson In Defense of Food An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan The Plot to Save the Planet How Visionary Entrepreneurs and Corporate Titans Are Creating Real Solutions to Global Warming by Brian Dumaine
Green in title, green cover:
These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3) by Jan Karon Green Darkness by Anya Seton Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates 1022 Evergreen Place (Cedar Cove series, #10) by Debbie Macomber Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2) by Laura Childs Zelah Green by Vanessa Curtis The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green by Joshua Braff Green Angel (Green Angel, #1) by Alice Hoffman Green Witch (Green Angel, #2) by Alice Hoffman Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3) by Debbie Viguié
Green author, cover
Bloodroot by Amy Greene


message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
placeholder


message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina Do these work for a green cover?

The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1) by Daniel Abraham


message 5: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments would this work for green cover?
Green Darkness by Anya Seton


message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Felina wrote: "Do these work for a green cover?

The Stolen Child by Keith DonohueA Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1) by Daniel Abraham"


They do


message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Aleksandra wrote: "would this work for green cover?
Green Darkness by Anya Seton"


it will


message 8: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Is this cover green enough?
These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3) by Jan Karon


message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Kathy G. wrote: "Is this cover green enough?
These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3) by Jan Karon"


yes, quite green


message 10: by Felina (new)

Felina Dlmrose wrote: "Felina wrote: "Do these work for a green cover?

The Stolen Child by Keith DonohueA Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1) by Daniel Abraham"

They do"


Thanks!!


message 11: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Is this green enough?

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward


message 12: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Is this OK for a green cover? - Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner

I'll be reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (for a combination of C/D) for my other book.


message 13: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "would this work for green cover?
Green Darkness by Anya Seton"

it will"


Thank you :)


message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Gayla wrote: "Is this green enough?

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward"


sure


message 15: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
mstan wrote: "Is this OK for a green cover? - Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner

I'll be reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (for a combination of C/D) for my other book."


Both are green enough

You only need to read one book for this task if your book fits C & D


message 16: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Ooh I missed that part - thanks for pointing it out, Dlmrose!


message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily | 653 comments What about Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green ? I know it will work for author's name, but is the cover green enough to work for both options?


message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "What about Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green? I know it will work for author's name, but is the cover green enough to work for both options?"

That edition doesn't look green, but the french edition does. If your edition is green, please state that when you post.


message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily | 653 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Kate wrote: "What about Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green? I know it will work for author's name, but is the cover green enough to work for both options?"

That edition doesn't look g..."


The edition I have is the one I posted. Kind of tinted green in places, but not nearly as green as the French edition. No worries, I was planning on using it as one of two books and using a different book as the second. Just figured it couldn't hurt to ask if it would count for two. :)


message 20: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Is this green enough for a green cover? Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates


message 21: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Nov 19, 2011 02:39PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Are these covers green enough? 1022 Evergreen Place (Cedar Cove series, #10) by Debbie Macomber Nobody's Princess (Nobody's Princess, #1) by Esther M. Friesner


message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1495 comments Is this green enough? Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2) by Laura Childs


message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Rosemary wrote: "Is this green enough for a green cover? Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates"

yes


message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
★Meghan★ wrote: "Are these covers green enough?1022 Evergreen Place (Cedar Cove series, #10) by Debbie Macomber Nobody's Princess (Nobody's Princess, #1) by Esther M. Friesner"

yes (without my reading glasses the Macomber still looks green)


message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Sue T wrote: "Is this green enough? Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2) by Laura Childs"

yes


message 26: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments If you like YA don't forget about the wonderful John Green
John Green


message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments KAren - i'm debating reading Will grayson will grayson by him but not sure yet - I have a couple of other green options that i'm looking at


message 28: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments How about Zelah Green by Vanessa Curtis for cover color and word in title?


message 29: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments What about The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green by Joshua Braff The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green

for the one book option (fits A & C)

or what about Green Angel Green Angel (Green Angel, #1) by Alice Hoffman fitting the same categories?


message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Fran wrote: "How about Zelah Green by Vanessa Curtis for cover color and word in title?"

That works as one book


message 31: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Sassafrass wrote: "What about The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green by Joshua Braff The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green

for the one book option (fits A & C)

or what about [book:Green Angel|4106..."


Both work


message 32: by Lahni (last edited Nov 19, 2011 11:42PM) (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Would Bloodroot by Amy Greene by Amy Greene work for both B and C?


message 33: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 325 comments Since Green Angel works for both green in the title and the cover, would Green Witch (Green Angel, #2) by Alice Hoffman ? Thanks! :)


message 34: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Lahni wrote: "Would Bloodroot by Amy Greene by Amy Greene work for both B and C?"

Yes


message 35: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Meghanly wrote: "Since Green Angel works for both green in the title and the cover, would Green Witch (Green Angel, #2) by Alice Hoffman? Thanks! :)"

yes


message 36: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Thanks! I'm usually not lucky enough to find one book that fills two options on my tbr!


message 37: by Hettie (new)

Hettie | 131 comments Hi would this be enough green in the cover. I was hoping to to use this for A and C. Thanks.
Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3) by Debbie Viguié


message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Hettie wrote: "Hi would this be enough green in the cover. I was hoping to to use this for A and C. Thanks.
Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3) by Debbie Viguié"


green enough!


message 39: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments I just want to double check that Silent Spring by Rachel Carson will work for options C and D?


message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Angie wrote: "I just want to double check that Silent Spring by Rachel Carson will work for options C and D?"

That works


message 41: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 70 comments Would The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning #1) by John Stephens and Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1) by Yvonne Woon work for Option C?


message 42: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Aneeqah wrote: "Would The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning #1) by John Stephens and Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1) by Yvonne Woon work for Option C?"

They would


message 43: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 70 comments Thanks!


message 44: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1495 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Sue T wrote: "Is this green enough? Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2) by Laura Childs"

yes"


Thank you!


message 45: by Cassie (last edited Nov 21, 2011 05:24PM) (new)

Cassie | 133 comments I'm thinking about option C to begin with. The problem is, I bought Zelda A Biography by Nancy Milford from a second hand shop. The copy I bought is hardback, but the dust cover is gone, and sans dust cover the book is covered in spring green-color cloth. Would this work? Do I need to take a photo and post it with my finished task post? Or is that just totally unacceptable?


message 46: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Cassie wrote: "I'm thinking about option C to begin with. The problem is, I bought Zelda A Biography by Nancy Milford from a second hand shop. The copy I bought is hardback, but the dust cover is gone, and sans..."

Sorry, a green front board won't work


message 47: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Okay--thanks!


message 48: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) Can we use the group read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley ? I had it on my to-read list and added it for something green before I realized it was a group read.


message 49: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
Debra wrote: "Can we use the group read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley? I had it on my to-read list and added it for something green before I realized it was a group read."

Sure, you may use a past Group Read or one of the two that you're not using for this season's 20.10


message 50: by Debra (last edited Nov 22, 2011 07:58AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) Thanks! Now what's the 20.10?


« previous 1 3
back to top