The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 15.8 - What's IndieNext?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17484 comments Mod
15.8 What’s IndieNext? Read a book that has appeared on any Indie Next List at IndieBound.org Required: Please indicate the list your book appeared on when you post

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Dec 05, 2011 05:40PM) (new)

Be sure to check out the Top 10 and Teens lists under the book scroll in the Kids' Lists

Indie Bestseller lists are NOT included

UPDATE- Since it can be confusing- books on the Indie Notable lists may be used.

Under the Reading Group lists, the subgroups such as Outstanding Debuts, Visiting Other Worlds, Memorable Women, etc. may be used.

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments I've been maintaining the Indie Next list over at ListsofBests.com for a while now - it's a quick cheat sheet for the last two years of primary selections and is up-to-date through November 2011:

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/7572...

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Jessica wrote: "I've been maintaining the Indie Next list over at ListsofBests.com for a while now - it's a quick cheat sheet for the last two years of primary selections and is up-to-date through November 2011:

..."

Handy!

chucklesthescot Dlmrose wrote: "Be sure to check out the Top 10 and Teens lists under the book scroll in the Kids' Lists"

Thanks for pointing that out-I hadn't even noticed the teen list so now I have more to choose from! x

message 7: by Bucket (new)

Bucket | 369 comments I've never used IndieNext before and in looking at the website I see there's special lists like Reading Group lists and Poetry lists for each season. Do books on these lists fulfill the challenge requirements or should we stick to books just on the monthly IndieNext lists?

Thanks!

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Bucket wrote: "I've never used IndieNext before and in looking at the website I see there's special lists like Reading Group lists and Poetry lists for each season. Do books on these lists fulfill the challenge r..."

You can use any list in the green shaded box titled: "More Indie Next Lists". The seasonal reading group, poetry, and kids' lists are included.

message 9: by Bucket (new)

Bucket | 369 comments Great - thanks!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Can we use the indie Best sellers lists? I was thinking 11/22/63? Or would this not work?

message 11: by Dlmrose (new)

☆Rebecca G. wrote: "Can we use the indie Best sellers lists? I was thinking 11/22/63? Or would this not work?"

Your book needs to be from an Indie Next list not the bestsellers list, but there will be December, January, and February lists. You may want to check back to see what shows up then.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

ok, thanks :)

message 13: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco Its from this month's list. I hope that's okay.

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Anomander wrote: "The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco Its from this month's list. I hope that's okay."

Sure

message 15: by Felina (last edited Nov 24, 2011 04:45AM) (new)

Felina I've chosen Ready Player One. It was on the August list. I've heard it's excellent.

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15683 comments Mod
Felina wrote: "I've chosen Ready Player One. It was on the August list. I've heard it's excellent."

I really, really liked it!

message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina Sandy wrote: "Felina wrote: "I've chosen Ready Player One. It was on the August list. I've heard it's excellent."

I really, really liked it!"

Sweet!

message 18: by Rosemary (last edited Nov 26, 2011 09:58AM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments I am still confused by this website!

Looking at the November 2011 page, there are three sections. The first shows just one book. The second is headed "November 2011 Indie Next List" and has a horizontal scroll. The third is headed "Now In Paperback".

Do all of these books count for this task, including "Now In Paperback"? Or is it only the horizontal scrolling ones?

Also, under the earlier lists, e.g. November 2008, instead of "Now In Paperback" they have a whole other section of books under various genre headings, headed "Indie Notables". Do these count too?

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Rosemary wrote: "I am still confused by this website!

Looking at the November 2011 page, there are three sections. The first shows just one book. The second is headed "November 2011 Indie Next List" and has a hori..."

The horizontal scroll (November list) showing The Lady of the Rivers, Zone One, Aloha from Hell, etc is the November list and it includes the "feature" book The Angel Esmeralda

The paperback list are selections from past Indiebound.org lists newly released in paperback ex.After the Falls was on the November 2010 list, but you will need to double-check to make sure they were on an Indie Next list. If you click on a title, the Indie Next list it appeared on is in red under the cover image.

The past lists are in the green shaded box titled "More Indie Next Lists"

The Indie Notables are not included.

message 20: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Dlmrose wrote: The horizontal scroll (November list) showing The Lady of the Rivers, Zone One, Aloha from Hell, etc is the November list and it includes the "feature" book The Angel Esmeralda

Thank you, that makes it clear! I have found two from my TBR, Black Water Rising (July 2009) and A Visit from the Goon Squad (June 2010).

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments yay found a book and I can use it for my around the world challenge...I wish they would do like a yearly pdf or something to make it easier than having to search through every month...

message 22: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments I'm still confused about which books count.

When I search for a specific book, it tells me if it was on a list, but sometimes when I look at the list, I can't tell if the book is on the part of the list that counts.

I was thinking of A Long Way Gone. At the book's own indiebound page: http://www.indiebound.org/book/978037...
it says the book is on the Fall 08/Winter 09 Reading Group List.

But if you go to that list, you only see the book if you click on the memoirs section, not the Top 10 section. Does that mean it's a "notable" (i.e., doesn't count)?

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

Joanna wrote: "I'm still confused about which books count.

When I search for a specific book, it tells me if it was on a list, but sometimes when I look at the list, I can't tell if the book is on the part of th..."

Since Indie bound considers all the titles on the sublists of the Reading Groups list to be Indie Next titles, all the books under those titles- Outstanding Debuts, Visiting Other Worlds, Memorable Women, etc. may be used. All those books should have the Indie Next List stamp. Since it can be confusing, I'll let the Indie Notables in as well.

message 24: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Thank you Dlmrose. I was confused too. I didn't realize that the book I picked was an Indie Notable because it had that Indie Next List Stamp on it. It's very confusing.

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

I hope it is less confusing now- I think the site changed some over time.

message 26: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments I think it will be. :) Thanks again!