Readers and Reading discussion

Tips for using GoodReads board > To see all the folders

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 1608 comments Mod
When reading through comments on a topic, to see/return to all of our folders/threads -whatever you call them - click on the word DISCUSSIONS to the right and that will return you to the list. This is quicker than using the back arrow.

I have no idea why you click on DISCUSSIONS in order to see FOLDERS, but mine is not to reason why.....

message 2: by Leslie/cloudla (new)

Leslie/cloudla | 71 comments Thank you thank you, I was getting ready to really bitch about this. After reading a folder, I would have to scroll back up to the top and then do the back button to get to the next subject. And you are telling me to just click on DISCUSSION. I think my life will be happier now.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Apr 09, 2009 12:25PM) (new)

Sarah (sarahreader) Leslie said: After reading a folder, I would have to scroll back up to the top and then do the back button to get to the next subject.

Leslie - I don't have to do any scrolling back. I just hit the "back arrow" on my toolbar, which is always visible regardless of where I am in the folder. It takes me right back to the folder list.

In my case, I have it set for "unread" posts only, with newest on top, so I can get through the whole board very quickly.

message 4: by Alias Reader (last edited Apr 09, 2009 01:19PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader)

To see all the all the folders
- Click on Discussions

To only see topics that are unread,
- click on new topic.
- After you read that look on the right hand side of the page for the Search Posts Box.
- Under that you will see a link that says: Unread Topics. Click on that.
- you will get a list of all unread topics.
Click on one, when you are done, once again click on Unread Topics to go back to the page that lists the unread topics.

If none of the Unread topics interest you, on the page that lists all the unread topics at the bottom you will see a link to mark all topics read.

* note only 5 topics show up for each folder.
To see all the topics in a folder look to the right of the folder name and click list all.

Kim (Kimsrdnbks) (kimsrdnbks) | 10 comments Does anyone know the differance between friends and top friends?

Kim (Kimsrdnbks) (kimsrdnbks) | 10 comments Never mind I got it.

message 7: by Schmerguls (new)

Schmerguls | 257 comments Whar I read in January thirty years ago (1981)

1611 Buggies, Blizzards, and Babies, by Cara Frear Hawkins (read 2 Jan 1981) This is a laudatory book about Dr. Edwin Frear, who practiced in Sloan and Sioux City, Iowa, from 1882 to about 1924, written by his daughter. But I found the book touching and I was moved at times by the good sentimentality in the book, though at times the book was rather pedestrian. It is a good book for the people who knew the doctor, but not otherwise likely to be read by many.

1612 Waverly Novels--Volume VII: The Fair Maid of Perth - Anne of Geierstein - The Surgeon's Daughter - Castle Dangerous, by Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (read 11 Jan 1981) I found The Fair Maid of Perth (published in 1828) quite interesting. It tells of Henry Smith, an armorer in love with Catherine Glover, the Fair Maid. The son of King Robert III strives to abduct her from her home but is foiled by Henry, who cuts off the hand of one of the Prince's followers. This follower seeks to have Henry killed but by mistake kills another. Henry then defeats the murderer in trial by combat, but the murderer escapes death by hanging through the connivance of the hangman. Two Highland clans meet in a deadly field at Perth. The chief of one of them is also in love with the Fair Maid, but is a coward. As one looks back over the plot it does not seem like much, but like all Scott novels while one is reading it seems absorbing.

Anne of Geierstein is one of Scott's last novels. It has quite a bit of Gothic in it, starting out quickly in the mountains of Switzerland where Philipson and his son meet Anne and her uncle, as well as Rudolph. There is a duel between Arthur and Rudolph. Then they accompany Swiss ambassadors to the Duke of Burgundy, with many far-fetched adventures along the way. Anne's father, Albert, usually appearing as the Black Priest of St.Paul's, helps and hinders, alternately. The Swiss defeat Charles the Bold three times--and the Earl of Oxford seeks help for Margaret of Anjou, widow of King Henry VI of England. All in all, it is a lively story, and not bad reading. The novel first appeared in May of 1829. [Christopher Sykes says Anne of Geierstein is "Scott's worst novel" but my choice for Scott's worst novel is Count Robert of Paris, which I read 8 Aug 1983.].

The Surgeon's Daughter is a rather slight story about a man who was raised by a Scotch doctor and sought to betray said doctor's daughter to an Indian prince. The story was published in 1827.

Castle Dangerous is a story about the time of 1300 and involves the effort of the Scotch to retake Douglas Castle. Scott changes, as usual, historical facts to suit his fancy, and the story is a far-fetched one,involving a woman who said she'd marry whoever managed to hold Douglas Castle for England for a year and a day. Having read these four Scott novels I have had enough of Scott for now.

1613 Henry Edward Manning: His Life and Labours, by Shane Leslie, M.A. (read 21 Jan 1981) I was quite disappointed din this book. It is not chronological, and apparently relies only on letters. It makes no attempt to use other sources to portray Manning's actual life. It assumes a far more knowledgeable person than I am as to 19th century events. It is a poorly done book and I was glad when I reached the last page.

1614 Cardinal Gasquet: A Memoir, by Shane Leslie (read 25 Jan 1981) Gasquet was born in London on 5 Oct 1846 and died in Rome on 5 Apr 1929. He was created a Cardinal in May of 1914. He wrote some English history in the late 19th century, but I cannot believe his work is still worth reading. But English Cardinals are interesting, and Cardinal Gasquet is no exception, even though this book is loosely put together, repetitious, and not a biography