The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 5.5. All Around the World

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Nov 18, 2011 09:11PM) (new)

Sandy | 15607 comments Mod
5.5. All Around the World
The British empire reached its peak during the reign of Queen Victoria, perhaps most dramatically when she declared herself Empress of India in 1876. At her death, it was said that Britain had a worldwide empire on which the sun never set.

Read a book that was published in or set during the reign of Queen Victoria (1837-1901). Here are a couple lists to get you started: Best Victorian Historical Fiction , Victorian Mysteries
(There are about 40 Listopia lists that involve "Victorian" in some way - Victorian lists)
The usual caveat applies to all lists - check to make sure your book of choice actually fits.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Sandy (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Heartless (The Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger Would this work?

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Anomander wrote: "Heartless (The Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail CarrigerWould this work?"

I haven't read it, but if it's set between 1837 and 1901, it works.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "Is this one okay?
Victorian Diaries: The Daily Lives of Victorian Men and Women

Thanks"

sounds right on target!

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments So if it is set during the civil war it will work? I can read My Name is Mary Sutter?

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments I know in the first parasol protectorate, Queen Victoria makes an appearance, I just don't know about the later ones

message 10: by Sandy (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "So if it is set during the civil war it will work? I can read My Name is Mary Sutter?"

yes, that would fit the time frame

message 11: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Does it have to be Victorian or can it be from the American Civil War which is in that time period?

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Does it have to be Victorian or can it be from the American Civil War which is in that time period?"

anything set or written during the time period will work

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: Or The Murder at Road Hill House - Kate Summerscale?"

The description starts out by saying it's set in 1860, so that's fine.

message 15: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I would like to read Camille by Tess Oliver for this task. the book never states what year but it states in the summary its set in England during the Victoria Era. Will this be ok?

message 16: by Sandy (new)

JennRenee wrote: "I would like to read Camille by Tess Oliver for this task. the book never states what year but it states in the summary its set in England during the Victoria Era. Will this be ok?"

that works. Please note in your task posting that this was approved in the help thread, so that Dlmrose doesn't have to try to track down the date.

message 17: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Sandy wrote: "JennRenee wrote: "I would like to read Camille by Tess Oliver for this task. the book never states what year but it states in the summary its set in England during the Victoria Era. Will this ..."

Great Thanks!