Rated YA-MA discussion

Reading Challenges > Seasonal Challenges: Info, Questions, Suggestions, etc.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 157 (157 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments Hello Everyone!

For 2012, we have decide to add some Seasonal Challenges to the group.
We will have a total of 4 challenges per year, which will last 3 months each.

Challenge 1: January- March
Challenge 2: April- June
Challenge 3: July- September
Challenge 4: October- December

Each challenge will be of a different topic, like for instance, challenge 1 is named The Capirotada Challenge.
Where I come from, Capirotada, is a traditional Lent dish that involves lots of different ingredients. Toast, cheese, nuts, raisins, and more. So our first challenge is going to be the same...but with books!
For Challenge 1, you will have to read a book for each of our Folder's Genre:
Science Fiction
Fantasy
PNR/Urban Fantasy
Historical Fiction
Realistic Fiction
Other:
This one includes Graphic Novels, non-fiction and Adult(Preferably with a YA tone, but it doesn't HAVE to be.)

For a total of 6 books to read in a period of 3 months, January 1st to March 31st. Averaging 2 books per month.

We already have some more ideas for the coming challenges(which will also be added here with more information), but we love hearing suggestions.
If you have any questions, suggestions or need more info, please let me or one of the other Mods know and we will gladly try to help.
Everyone one is invited to join in. The more, the merrier!

message 2: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Yay Challenges!!!

message 3: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments Yesssssssssssssssss!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome love challenges!!

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 828 comments I love reading challenges! :D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

oooo this looks fun :D

message 7: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments God...more challenges...that I can't resist *sigh*

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) Yay!! The more challenges the better :D

message 9: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments So glad so many of you are already on board!

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie  (stack-i-e) I'm totally on board, I've never done a reading challenge. I'm still a noob but I'm really glad I joined this group, that is so active and interesting.

message 11: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments Stacie wrote: "I'm totally on board, I've never done a reading challenge. I'm still a noob but I'm really glad I joined this group, that is so active and interesting."

We're happy to you too Stacie! I love all the diversity and activity in the group too, I'm glad you're enjoying your self here!

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 149 comments I love challenges, I always pick up new styles/authors that I wouldn't have picked up before and I usually really like what I find

message 13: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Dec 05, 2011 02:20PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments That is a great bonus of challenges. Sort of shakes things up a bit.

Just a note that we added another category to our Other Books folder. Along with the current categories : Graphic Novels, Non-Fiction, Adult books that read like YA, etc. we also now have a Classics category that people can pick from if they can't find something else they want to read for Other.

message 14: by Shanna (new)

Shanna (gt-teach) | 16 comments I'm in! Sounds like fun!

message 15: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments For the second challenge of the year, we're going with a colorful theme. The Rainbow Challenge will again involve 6 books, which will have to each have to feature a primary rainbow color on its cover.

I think the only restriction I would like to have on this challenge is a limitation of only 1 Adult book per member who is participating.
I have NOTHING against Adult books. I am actually an avid Adult book reader, but since our group is a YA based group, I would like to keep the majority of its interest in the challenge that way.

If you guys have ay questions, feel free to ask. Really looking forward to all your picks!

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 149 comments Love it! Can't wait.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 358 comments Awesome idea! Can't wait to start picking out colorful covers!

message 18: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments Challenge 2 is now open for everyone to post their choices!
I will be keeping track of participants and their progress in the second post of that topic. If I fail to update you correctly, please feel free to correct me ;)

message 19: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments Challenge 3!!!!
I belive it was Emily, who shared this great idea for this new challenge.

For #3, we're going to do a "Recommendations Overload" challenge. Everyone who wants to participate in the challenge, will send me a message with a book that they absolutely love and want more people to read it too. It must be a YA book, no matter what Genre, that is in your Fav shelves.
I will gather all the books and make a list of the choices(Eliminate doubles) and post them by the middle of June for everyone to check them out and pick their 6 choices from the list. We encourage everyone to read more than 6 books and read as many as they want.

The reason we want you to send your choice directly to me, is so that by it being anonymous, it will be more fair to the participants. We all have our friends who we trust for recomendations and this might leave some people out of the loop. To avoid that, we're going blind folded to read a pot of gold! haha

So start sending me your recommendations, but only if you're going to participate in the challenge, and I will gather everything up for later in June.
Can't wait to see whats in store for the future!

message 20: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments Remember, any questions you have, don't think twice about approaching me or one of the other Mods. =)

message 21: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments What if a mod has a question?

Then what?!?

message 22: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments The day that happens, it will be a sign that the Zombie-pocalipse is here! O.o

message 23: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments So I'm never allowed to have a question?

message 24: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments You least of anyone, maddam!

message 25: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Yes, I'm a madam!

Do I get to have a bunch of "ladies of the night" working for me now? I could really use the cash.

message 26: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments I want you to know that whenever I write some thing like "Madam", "Mate", "Ma Lady", I'm actually writting them with the accent in my mind, so that's how I want you to read them from now on.
And I want 50-50 on this ladies of the night business you want to start, lol.

message 27: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Hahaha! You two are great!

message 28: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments We could take our act on the road.

Coming soon! to a retirement home or bingo parlor in your neck of the woods.

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 358 comments Yay! I'm really excited for this challenge! I like the added anonymity of the choices, too.

One question: when you say a book from your fav shelf, does that mean literally? I finally got rid of my favorites shelf because it was too hard to decide what went there. My favorites have to maintain that status over time, not just in the "morning after" glow, and it got too hard to keep up with.

message 30: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments No, not literally ;)
Just one of your favorite books of all time. Maybe something that you wished more people knew about and read more. But it can be anything you consider an awesome favorite book really.

Thanks for the awesome idea Emily! =)

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 358 comments I have literal tendencies, so I thought I better check :)

All I did was take the idea from 2 other people's conversation and figure out how to make it a feasible challenge. I like logistics :D

message 32: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments You and my husband would get along splendidly.

message 33: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I am having a difficult time deciding what book I want to try to force on people for challenge #3!

message 34: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments Challenge 4: Let's Finish What We Started!

That's right people. It's time for the 4th and last challenge of 2012.
For Challenge #4, Let's Finish What We Started, we're going to be reading books from series we have started and for some reason(most likely because we're slackers), we've never gotten back to.

You all probably know the drill by now. 6 books per participant, and I will allow 1 adult book choice if you so desire to move on with an adult series.

I'm thinking that let's say, you have read Vampire Academy, and want to move on to book 2. Then after you finish book 2, you really want to keep going and want to read book 3 for the challenge too. Well that's cool too. Let's just keep it to a maximum of 2 books of the same series. We're trying to push our selves to move on with the series we have abandoned, and I don't want us to get stuck on just one.

The Challenge will take place from the 1st of October to the 31st of December.
The Challenge page will be open for discussions and for members to post their picks by the mid month.
Can't wait to see you there!

message 35: by Katy (new)

Katy | 478 comments Awesome idea! I start way too many series without finishing them.

message 36: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments This one I need.

message 37: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Awesome!

message 38: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments I'm with you guys, lol

message 39: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Good idea. The only thing I will miss is when people comment on the same books I am reading. We always have the group readsfor that though.

message 40: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments We probably have more unfinished series in commonN than we even know Diane. Lol!

message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 149 comments Love it!

message 42: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments This is such a great idea. So many unfinished series for all of us, I'm sure!

message 43: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 828 comments This challenge is just what I needed! :D

message 44: by Katy (new)

Katy | 478 comments Hey Carina I have a question. Does it count if the series is complete or not? Like if I wanted to read Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare ?

message 45: by Carina (new)

Carina  | 1629 comments Nope. The series can be ongoing or finished, Katy. =)

Rachael (pagesofpiper) (piperbunny) This is a brilliant idea :D I have been so bad with the third challenge :(

message 47: by Katy (new)

Katy | 478 comments Me too. I'll need to make up for it with the next challenge!

message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily (librarylil) | 358 comments Any problem with the newest one in a series that comes out during the challenge period and is therefore brand new? (I'm thinking specifically of Days of Blood and Starlight, but I'm sure there are others.)

message 49: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments I think the only time it has to be out for 3 months/older is when nominating something for the group read. :)

message 50: by Katy (new)

Katy | 478 comments Emily that was one I was thinking of haha but it kinda felt like cheating.

« previous 1 3 4