Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2011-12 - Suspense - What will you read in December?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Wow, are we seriously choosing books for December already? scary!

Well let's see what your going to read in the suspense category

message 2: by Dee (last edited Nov 18, 2011 05:44PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments i was waiting for this thread!!

tenatively:
Undone - because I managed to read the second one in a trilogy before the 1st...lol!
Fallen - to finish out the trilogy
Hot Pursuit
Breaking the Rules - the last 2 in the troubleshooters series

ETA - and possible the next in death book - i think i'm up to 14 or 15

message 4: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1645 comments I decided to read some of those that are on the list and on my bookshelves already, so I'm starting out with:
Smilla's Sense of Snow and
The Pillars of the Earth (which I didn't think was suspense, but it's on that list and my shelves!)

I'm not sure what after those two, but there are plenty I can choose from that look good!!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments Lynn - Pillars is good but long! It was one of the few assigned fiction readings in college that I actually read/finished and enjoyed

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3451 comments Mod
Does counting books for the December shelf start on Dec. 1, or early like all the ROAR stuff? I can see valid reasons for each, and just want to know which way it is.

If it starts early, please see (and answer) the question in message # 16 posted on the December ROAR thread.

message 7: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1645 comments Dee wrote: "Lynn - Pillars is good but long! It was one of the few assigned fiction readings in college that I actually read/finished and enjoyed"

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. When starting a looonnnng book, it's good to know that it's a good read!!

message 8: by Candiss (last edited Dec 07, 2011 06:16PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) I have a big pool from this shelf that I'd like to read, but what I actually do read will depend on what fits in with another group's challenge that starts December 1 and ends mid-February.

These books fit both the shelf and challenge tasks:

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie
Harbor - John Ajvide Lindqvist
The Brief History of the Dead - Kevin Brockmeier
The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith

I'd love to read these, as well, but they don't fit my challenge tasks. Perhaps I can read them for future months' shelves.

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafón
The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood
Out - Natsuo Kirino

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments and then you can watch the mini-series ;)

LynnB wrote: "Dee wrote: "Lynn - Pillars is good but long! It was one of the few assigned fiction readings in college that I actually read/finished and enjoyed"

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. When starting ..."

message 10: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1645 comments Dee wrote: "and then you can watch the mini-series ;)
LynnB wrote: "Dee wrote: "Lynn - Pillars is good but long! It was one of the few assigned fiction readings in college that I actually read/finished and e..."

lol! Good idea!

message 11: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leo23) I am going to start with The Mermaids Singing I love the Wire in the Blood series so this should be good and then move on to Shutter Island. Looking forward to December - suspense is one of my favourite genres and haven't read any books from it for a while.

message 12: by Bea (last edited Nov 20, 2011 04:10AM) (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
I am planning to read Room and The Eight.

message 13: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Bea wrote: "I am planning to read Room and The Eight."

Ah, I didn't even notice The Eight on this shelf. That book is on my Favorites, being one I loved when it came out in my Senior year of high school (1988-1989.) I might have to try a re-read this month to see if it still does it for me.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3451 comments Mod
Oh, this is way too good a choice for me for this month. I'm having no luck narrowing down my list!

With all the activity December includes, I'm sure I won't get to all of these, especially since a bunch of them are more than 500 pages, and too heavy to take on trips. But what I'd like to read in December:

The Blind Assassin
House Rules
Scorpia (chain gang pick)
Knots and Crosses
The Crow Road
A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul
Foucalt's Pendulum
Winter in Madrid
The God Project
The Curse of the Blue Tattoo
The City and the City
Deadline
The Double
The King's Bishop

But all these from the shelf are already loaded on my Nook, so I read some of them instead:

Throwaway
The Time Machine
Footsteps in the Dark
The End of Marking Time
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
Murder at the Vicarage
The Red House Mystery
Blood Safari
Blood Ties
Invisible

And now several of you have been talking about The Eight, which I'd never heard of, as well, so I feel like I should add it.

I fear I'll end the year with many more added to my TBR than subtracted from it.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments Lacy - if you read catching fire, you might want to have mockingjay on hand

message 18: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments I put The Shadow of the Wind on hold at the library. I've been wanting to read it for quite some time, so I'm glad to have a good excuse to bump it up in priority.

I would also love to get to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

message 19: by Mish (new)

Mish I think I might start off with Don't Tellby Karen Roseand then take it from there....

message 20: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) | 44 comments I've been sadly neglecting this group recently. I'm ready to get started again and this seems like the perfect genre to get started in!

I'm going to go with something I already own, so I'll pick from one of the below:
Show No Mercy
Beautiful Lies
The Host
A Reliable Wife
The Weight of Silence
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
A Great and Terrible Beauty
Her Fearful Symmetry
Soulless

Wow - I had no idea how many I would have from this list when I started! I'll definitely be reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children as it is a book club read for my local group for next month. I'll see if I can't add at least one more from the list.

message 21: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (readundercovers_nancyrapp) | 3 comments Is "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson on the list? I've been wanting to read it but it keeps creeping me out and I put it down.

message 22: by Parsa (new)

message 23: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Nancy wrote: "Is "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson on the list? I've been wanting to read it but it keeps creeping me out and I put it down."

It is. Looks like 16 people have shelved it as "suspense."

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (readundercovers_nancyrapp) | 3 comments Luann wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Is "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson on the list? I've been wanting to read it but it keeps creeping me out and I put it down."

It is. Looks like 16 people have shelved it as ..."

message 25: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (readundercovers_nancyrapp) | 3 comments Thanks!

message 26: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1645 comments I went through the shelf and came up with this list:

Smilla's Sense of Snow
The Pillars of the Earth
Live Bait
Sister
Faceless Killers
The Terror
Cover Her Face

I've already read the books chosen my two f2f clubs for December, so I am devoting the month to Suspense!

message 27: by Arlene (last edited Nov 29, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

Arlene | 145 comments I pulled up the shelf and have already read the first 3! And I have #4 on my bedroom bookshelf so I will read The Girl Who Played With Fire to start. Then I'll probably read The Hunger Games and the newest J.D. Robb book, Indulgence in Death, and I don't even have to buy any of them!

message 28: by Diana S (new)

Diana S I'm reading for December:

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments do we have a new picture for suspense??

and ugh, the book i'm reading right now - shelved under suspense-action; rom-suspense...just not just plain suspense...seriously!!

message 30: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgzsydney) Bea wrote: "I am planning to read Room and The Eight."

Room is fabulous!

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments I liked Room as well, but I think the audiobook made it for me, I don't know if i could haev read it!

message 32: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Dee wrote: "do we have a new picture for suspense??

I messaged Amy to choose one. Thanks for the reminder, Dee.

message 33: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4659 comments Mod
Well, she chose an eerie picture/icon for the month!

message 34: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments hehehe.....love it! Super suspense full, will she go into the room? I do not know, I do not know :0)

message 35: by Luann (last edited Dec 05, 2011 09:59PM) (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Yep, very suspenseful! Is she the villain wielding that knife? Or the victim ready to protect herself? Nice choice, Amy!

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments it looks very psycho-ish...

message 37: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments I thought so too Dee :0)

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments kinda like, did anyone see dancing with the stars this season and the dance that rikki lake did to the psycho theme - they used a shadow screen for some of it - totally freaky

message 39: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I dropped off the face of the "Pick a Shelf" earth for awhile, but I am back.
So I think I will go with Black. I almost picked it up instead of the book I am reading so it will give me a reason to start it.

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Luann wrote: "Yep, very suspenseful! Is she the villain wielding that knife? Or the victim ready to protect herself? Nice choice, Amy!"

Thanks! Was worried it might be too dark (color-wise), but glad everyone thinks it captures the theme.