The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Jane Eyre- No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10108 comments Mod
Please be careful when posting. There is a seperate thread for spoilers.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments i really really need to read this. It's been on my list of must read books..so i should probably just do it now so I can discuss it with everyone else!

message 3: by Marsha (new)

Marsha It's a wonderful book. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments That 1983 adaptation is the best I've seen, Fiona.

message 5: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I just started yesterday....It's probably will take me awhile because it takes me awhile with this style of writing....

message 6: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) I've only seen the 2006 version but I'd love to see the other version as well. I love the one that I saw

I read this in October and loved it very much. It'll be fun to discuss this as well with everyone else :) It's still fresh in my memory

message 7: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments This was much easier for me to read than Pride and Prejudice. I feel like more actually happened in this story (much more suspenseful) than Austin's books.

Enjoy everyone! I just read this for THE FIRST TIME in September

message 8: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I've seen the William Hurt version (who cast him as Rochester?) and the Orson Wells version (much better) but never the Timothy Dalton or the 2006 version.

I read this for the first time in February-can't believe it waited this long!

Petra going to Mexico to hospital again, so hiatus (petra-x) My son has to do Jane Eyre for A-levels. We have the dvd (I forget whose in it) but its deadly boring and I am sorry for him. Its just not his kind of book. It was mine though, when I was little I loved it especially the Lowood school scenes.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm guessing that most literate guys can like this book. It is probably not so easy if forced upon them in high school, though.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It's like trying to force feed good food to kids.

I enjoyed some of the reads forced upon me in school, but it usually was not the same as the books I chose. I imagine that sometimes we can enjoy them more from a perspective later in life.

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 510 comments I personally love Jane Eyre, but when my son was a senior in high school, he preferred a related novel, Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. I won't say anymore because it will spoil Jane Eyre.

message 13: by Corinna (new)

Corinna (coekoemo) | 40 comments I'm up to chapter 18 now (reading a translation so the page # are different).

I actually do not know the story because I never saw a movie adaptation.

I haven't read a classic pretty much since I graduated from school. I should have read this one long ago. I really like it so far!

message 14: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments Yeah, I looked up the connection between Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea when I read JE for the first time and it spoiled the surprise for me. Don't look into WSS until you've finished JE.

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan (megburr) | 4 comments Hey!! Just going through past threads and I just wanted to say: I LOVE JANE EYRE. I've read it a couple times. I can totally relate to Jane's character and seriously Rochester is sooooo intriguing!!

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I have had this on my bookcase at home for ages.
After reading this thread and since I want to do another classic this summer......this might be my next read.

message 17: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (goodreadscomcharlene_freedman) | 3 comments Jane Eyre is my favourite book of all. I have read it at least 4 times over the years (I read it for the first time when I was a tenager), have watched all the TV/Movie adaptations (that I know of) and have listened to the audio book as well!

message 18: by Monique (new)

Monique | 15 comments I've just started Jane Eyre...hopefully I'll finish it!

Petra going to Mexico to hospital again, so hiatus (petra-x) I loved Jane Eyre as a child, but Wide Sargasso Sea is a much more adult book. I once stayed in the house that Jean Rhys grew up. It was a very grand house that had been converted into a guest house in Roseau, Dominica. I don't know if it still exists.

message 20: by Liz (last edited Nov 02, 2009 08:04PM) (new)

Liz Julianne wrote: "This was much easier for me to read than Pride and Prejudice. I feel like more actually happened in this story (much more suspenseful) than Austin's books.

Enjoy everyone! I just read this for THE..."

Julianne, that's a great point, but Austen's stories are also meant to be largely character driven.

Oh, I need to re-read Jane Eyre soon. I really enjoyed it the first time around and it's been calling to me lately.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol What makes Jane Eyre so intriguing is the era in which it was written. I would say it is the precursor to the Gothic Romance novels. One of the first books I read as a youth teen. It was so good.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wide Sargasso Sea (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jean Rhys (other topics)