Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Reading Challenges > An Aficionado’s Guide to the top 100 Fantasy Books of All Time: The CHALLENGE!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Nov 18, 2011 02:35PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I couldn't resist! :-D

Now that we've spent all of this time creating our "best of" list - I say we do something with it! I propose a challenge.

The goal is to read X amount of books from the "An Aficionado’s Guide to the top 100 Fantasy Books of All Time" list. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

To Participate: Just sign up to the group challenge and read at least one (1) book from the list and read that book from 11/18/2011 - 11/18/2012.

Want a real challenge? Let's make it more difficult! There are [bragging rights] levels that you can reach for:

Read 1-5 books - Just dipping my toe in
Read 6-10 books - This is my thing
Read 11-15 books - I also craft book covers in my spare time
Read 16-25 books - Should I do this before or after lunch?
Read 26-45 books - I also defy gravity
Read 46-75 books - Sleep? Who needs sleep??! I have BOOKS!
Read 76-100 books - Aficionado

The Challenge link: http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/l...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Evil, evil woman

message 3: by Traci (new)

Traci Lol. We'll be doing this anyway. Might as well make it official.

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments :-D

message 5: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (drasticali) | 22 comments is there a time limit to these levels or do we just pledge to read them in our lifetime?

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Right now I have it set up for 1 calender year...but we can always change the challenge to make it for a shorter amount of time. Say....6 months?

message 7: by Rusty (new)

Rusty A year sounds better to me!

message 8: by Rusty (new)

Rusty A year sounds better to me. Notice that I have read many on the list in the past two years. What does that say?

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Hmm how should be go about acknowledging what we've already read before? Or should that count?

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (drasticali) | 22 comments yes a year then I can go for the higher levels. I knew I had some catching up to do as havn't read a lot for a few years due to illness. Thanks for making the choices easy for me :) How exciting

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Nov 20, 2011 04:10PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Doesn't count, I would guess, as the system won't count it. It's all based upon what you have read during the dates set up.

But...that means re-reads are fair game! ;-)

If you are really wanting to already count the books you have read, just re-shelve the book via "currently reading" so that the "read" date changes. Or you can just change the "read" date on that book to show some time between 11/18/11 - 11/18/2012.

Note: Make sure that all of these books land on the shelf you have specified for the challenge or it won't count!

message 12: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments I have already read 35 of the books on the list. But i will try reading some more.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I'm glad to say I did read a pretty good amount of them before :) Lets see about the ones I haven't gotten to before I reread those I have.

message 14: by Temi (new)

Temi (temisol) | 39 comments It's like MrsJ thinks up new ways to torture us all the time!! Sigh.

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments How fortuitous that some of the books on that list are also in my owned-unread pile! >.> <.<

message 16: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments Also, how are books within series counted? Are individual books from series counted as separate entries, or do we have to read an entire series for it to count as one entry?

message 17: by Traci (new)

Traci I'm counting first book only...but for series I've already started is it a cheat to count the one I'm on instead of reading the first again? Malazan for example. I've already read Gardens of the Moon twice within a years time. Currently I'm on Reaper's Gale, so I'd like to count that instead of Gardens.

message 18: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I'm at 31 but there are some that I still want to read so I'll give this a go.

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments Awesome challenge. I'm in!

message 20: by Kevin (last edited Nov 19, 2011 03:25PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) As I have said, I have read about 65 books on the list, going to sign up to try to read the rest.

message 22: by Linette (last edited Nov 19, 2011 05:43PM) (new)

Linette Count me in too - if I read 15 this challenge, that will bring me to having read almost half the list. Almost. So much great reading ahead of me :)

message 23: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments Yeah...so how do we count series books?

Let's say I have already read Game Of Thrones 1-4 but haven't read #5 yet. If I read #5 during the year that the challenge takes place, I am assuming Book 5 counts as 1 book.

But let's say I haven't yet started The Harry Potter series but decide to read all 7 during the challenge year. Would that count as 7 books or just 1? I would think under the parameters of the original vote, a series counts as a single entity. So in fact even though HP is 7 books it only counts as 1 of the 100.

Yeah? No?

message 24: by Craig (new)

Craig (nipo) | 4 comments Tina wrote: "Yeah...so how do we count series books?

Let's say I have already read Game Of Thrones 1-4 but haven't read #5 yet. If I read #5 during the year that the challenge takes place, I am assuming Book 5..."

That is how I would interpret it. You'd need to have read the whole series to get credit for a number but if you've already read all most/all of them you'd only need to read one to check it off.

message 25: by Traci (new)

Traci I'm going to count the first book only of new or reread series and current books for series I've been reading.

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) I'm in! I'll start as soon as I get caught up in my Nanowrimo story. Since it's a year long challenge, I'm going for the Aficionado level.

message 27: by Viv (new)

Viv JM I've set myself a modest target of 15 :-)

message 28: by Scarlet (new)

Scarlet well for me I was planing to read books in the list, challenge or not,now it's more fun...I even happen to be reading a book on the list and might finish it today..my goal is 20..but I already have more in my to read list, not sure the time would allow it through.

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy (confessoramy) Do the books that are beginning of series mean we have to read the whole series? Like Daughter of the Forest is there, do we read the whole Sevenwaters series?
I'm marking some as read already as I have read them and have no intention of re-reading as I didn't enjoy them so much the first time! But it's only a handful of books.

message 30: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I think I could craft book covers in my spare time. I'm in for 15!

message 31: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 114 comments I'm in for 15 too! Have so many of these books lying around waiting for me, hope to get through more of them this year :)

message 32: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments If we have read them do we have to reread them to count?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Kernos wrote: "If we have read them do we have to reread them to count?"

answered in message #11 by MrsJ.

tl:dr - yes but where do you get a giant banana?

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I went with 50 because I do have a bunch of those on my owned but unread shelf and I should be able to do that :) Not that I won't shoot for more :)

message 35: by Traci (new)

Traci I went for 30 but with so many books to read outside of the challenge and series to finish I will aim for more and probably read less.

message 36: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I was going to go for 12 but will try for 15....

message 37: by Bill (last edited Nov 21, 2011 08:31AM) (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments Ala wrote: "Kernos wrote: "If we have read them do we have to reread them to count?"
answered in message #11 by MrsJ...

Opps —Oh well, perhaps I will read some I have neglected without really playing the game. I have just too many other new things I want to read and are piled around me.

I'd rather discuss books rather than do point & page contests.

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Kernos wrote: "Ala wrote: "Kernos wrote: "If we have read them do we have to reread them to count?"
answered in message #11 by MrsJ...

Opps —Oh well, perhaps I will read some I have neglected without really play..."

It's not a "point and page contest" Kernos. :-(

It's simply a fun way for us to read the books on the list as a group. Its cool if you don't want to join in. Sort of why there is no "requirement" to join other than to read at least 1 book. It's all personal preference.

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky I've read 25 complete series (or will have by the time its 2013).... I'm going to count at least the last book in the series, I feel thats fair.

My goal is 70 because I really don't want to re-read anything. There are so many EXCELLENT books on here that I've been meaning to read, or have just heard about and trust your opinions, that I just couldn't reread anything.

So excited for this list. I sent it to my younger brother as well (sophomore in college) he was beside himself with joy.

message 40: by Craig (new)

Craig (nipo) | 4 comments This list lines up pretty well with my goal of reading
NPR's top 100 fantasy/science fiction in 2011. I'm shooting for 50 just because there are so many books that were already on my to read list.

message 41: by Trinity (new)

Trinity (snappingturtle) | 10 comments I shall attempt 25. "Before or after lunch" sounds just about right for me, and I'm not some filthy lawbreaker to go about defying gravity. ;)

message 42: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments So I've figured out the books/series I'm going to try to finish up:

1 Mistborn: The Final Empire – I really need to read this, too
2 Robin Hobb Collection: Farseer Trilog - Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest – read the first one need to finish the rest
3 The Dark Tower Series Collection: Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three, Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, the Dark Tower – read the first 4 and need to read the rest…probably need to start over again
4 Gardens of the Moon – really need to start
5 Daughter of the Empire
6 Wizard's First Rule
7 The Color of Magic – started but I never get far
8 Good Omens
9 Elric of Melniboné
10 Magic Bites
11 The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition
12 The Dragonlance Chronicles/Dragons of Autumn Twilight/Dragons of Winter Night/Dragons of Spring Dawning
13 Howl's Moving Castle
14 The Fionavar Tapestry – really need to read
15 Chronicles of The Black Company – read the first book, need to finish the rest
16 Magician - read about 1/3 of the first half. Will try again
17 Daughter of the Forest
18 Daughter of the Blood
19 The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition
20 Perdido Street Station
21 The Way of Kings
22 Dead Witch Walking
23 The Lions of al-Rassan
24 Moon Called – need to finish series, read the first 2
25 Darkfever
26 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
27 Storm Front – need to finish series
28 The Night Angel Trilogy – will start soon! 2012
29 The Neverending Story
30 Sabriel
31 The Deed of Paksenarrion – read one and ½ and need to finish up
32 Night Watch
33 American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret 2 volumes
34 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
35 The Curse of Chalion
36 The Once and Future King
37 The Talisman
38 Hounded – read the first and need to finish series
39 Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set
40 His Majesty's Dragon
41 The Black Prism
42 The Odyssey
43 Mary Poppins
44 Neverwhere
45 Stardust
46 Tigana
47 Fool's Errand
48 Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
49 The Liveship Traders Trilogy: Ship of Magic + Mad Ship + Ship of Destiny.
50 Elantris
51 Furies of Calderon
52 The Children of Húrin
53 Redwall
54 The Dragonbone Chair
55 The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1
56 Dead Until Dark
57 The Divine Comedy
58 Graceling
59 Black Sun Rising
60 Dragon Wing
61 Priestess of the White
62 Swords and Deviltry
63 The Book of Three
64 Dreams Underfoot

message 43: by Valerie (last edited Apr 17, 2012 03:31AM) (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 357 comments Let's see. I own volumes from the following, but haven't read them yet:

1 The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings - I know for a fact we have the LotR trilogy somewhere in the house, I just need to get around to finally starting Fellowship
7 Farseer - read the first 70 pages of Royal Assassin months ago, put it down, haven't picked it back up yet
8 The Dark Tower - own The Gunslinger, haven't read it yet (finished 12/29)
9 Gardens of the Moon - own Deadhouse Gates, haven't started it yet
13 The Color of Magic - there's a ton of Discworld books around
17 The Great Book of Amber - own a volume of the first two books, haven't read it yet
35 Perdido Street Station - own it, haven't read it yet (finished 4/15)
49 Sabriel - own the first book, haven't read it yet (finished 2/12)
51 The Deed of Paksenarrion - downloaded the first book for free a while ago, but still need a new e-reader
59 The Once and Future King - own it, haven't read it yet
61 The Lies of Locke Lamora - own Red Seas Under Red Skies, haven't read it yet (finished 2/9)
70 Neverwhere - own it, haven't read it yet (finished 12/27)
80 Beowulf: A New Verse Translation - ebook form, need new e-reader
81 Furies of Calderon - own it, haven't read it yet

These are at my library:

5 Mistborn: The Final Empire - have The Well of Ascension checked out now (finished 1/14)
21 A Wizard of Earthsea
36 The Way of Kings
38 The Chronicles of Narnia
55 Queen's Own
65 Watership Down
66 His Majesty's Dragon - read the first four, need to read the next two
87 Best Served Cold
88 Dead Until Dark (finished 3/18)
95 Black Sun Rising

And I don't have access to these yet, but they interest me:

11 Daughter of the Empire
18 Magic Bites
39 The Lions of al-Rassan
48 The Neverending Story
58 The Curse of Chalion
72 Tigana
97 Priestess of the White

message 44: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I like the way you broke up your list! I think I'm going to have to massage my list to see what happens.

message 45: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) Valerie wrote: "Let's see. I own volumes from the following, but haven't read them yet:

1 The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings - I know for a fact we have the LotR trilogy somewhere in the house, I just need to g..."

Valerie I really like the way that you broke up your reading challenge. I am going to try something similar, I hope you don't mind. But thanks for the great idea.

I will definitely read at least one book that I have not read already, and will probably do at least one re-read also.

message 46: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (last edited Nov 22, 2011 04:24PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) This is where I am so far with the list:

Key:
Strike-Through=Read
PTR=Plan to Read
NPR=No plans to Read
RPS=Read part of series

Total Read: 17/100 (doesn't include partial reads for series noted)

1 The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
2 A Game of Thrones
3 The Harry Potter Collection
4 The Name of the Wind
5 Mistborn: The Final Empire
6 The Eye of the World
7 Robin Hobb Collection: Farseer Trilog - Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest
8 The Dark Tower Series Collection: Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three, Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, the Dark Tower
9 Gardens of the Moon
10 The Belgariad, Vol. 1: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit
12 Wizard's First Rule
13 The Color of Magic
14 The Sword of Shannara Trilogy
15 Good Omens
16 Elric of Melniboné RPS
17 The Great Book of Amber
18 Magic Bites
19 The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition
20 The Dragonlance Chronicles/Dragons of Autumn Twilight/Dragons of Winter Night/Dragons of Spring Dawning
21 A Wizard of Earthsea
22 Howl's Moving Castle
23 The Last Unicorn
24 The Fionavar Tapestry
25 Kushiel's Dart
26 Chronicles of The Black Company
27 The Malloreon, Vol. 1: Guardians of the West, King of the Murgos, Demon Lord of Karanda
28 Magician
29 His Dark Materials NPR
30 The Mists of Avalon
31 Daughter of the Forest
32 Daughter of the Blood
33 The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition
34 Legend
35 Perdido Street Station
36 The Way of Kings
37 Dead Witch Walking

40 The Dark Is Rising Sequence RPS
41 Moon Called
42 Darkfever

43 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
44 The Princess Bride
45 Storm Front
46 The Night Angel Trilogy
47 The Blade Itself
48 The Neverending Story
49 Sabriel
50 The Iliad
51 The Deed of Paksenarrion
52 Night Watch
53 Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy
54 American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret 2 volumes
55 Queen's Own
56 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
57 Interview with the Vampire
58 The Curse of Chalion
59 The Once and Future King
60 The Talisman
61 The Lies of Locke Lamora
62 A Spell for Chameleon
63 Hounded
64 Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set RPS
65 Watership Down
66 His Majesty's Dragon
67 The Black Prism
68 The Odyssey
69 Mary Poppins
70 Neverwhere
71 Stardust
72 Tigana
73 The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales RPS
74 The Warded Man, Demon Cycle #1
75 Fool's Errand
76 Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
77 The Liveship Traders Trilogy: Ship of Magic + Mad Ship + Ship of Destiny.
78 Elantris
79 Eragon, Eldest & Brisingr
80 Beowulf: A New Verse Translation
81 Furies of Calderon
82 The Children of Húrin
83 The Eyes of the Dragon
84 Redwall
85 The Dragonbone Chair
86 The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1
87 Best Served Cold
88 Dead Until Dark
89 Alanna: The First Adventure
90 On a Pale Horse
91 The Last Herald-Mage
92 Charlotte's Web
93 The Divine Comedy
94 Graceling
95 Black Sun Rising
96 Dragon Wing
98 Swords and Deviltry
99 The Book of Three
100 Dreams Underfoot

I signed up to read 10 for next year, but that doesn't include other fantasy novels in my tbr pile that didn't make this list.

message 47: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments I signed up for 12:
TBR:
2 A Game of Thrones -- Book #5
4 The Name of the Wind -- Book #2
5 Mistborn: The Final Empire -- Book #2 & 3
13 The Color of Magic -- Snuff
15 Good Omens
32 Daughter of the Blood
36 The Way of Kings
40 The Dark Is Rising Sequence
63 Hounded
87 Best Served Cold
95 Black Sun Rising

Already read all or part of series:
6 The Eye of the World
7 Robin Hobb Collection: Farseer Trilog - Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest
9 Gardens of the Moon
12 Wizard's First Rule
18 Magic Bites
24 The Fionavar Tapestry
25 Kushiel's Dart
26 Chronicles of The Black Company
27 The Malloreon, Vol. 1: Guardians of the West, King of the Murgos, Demon Lord of Karanda
28 Magician
41 Moon Called
42 Darkfever
44 The Princess Bride
45 Storm Front
50 The Iliad
51 The Deed of Paksenarrion
58 The Curse of Chalion
64 Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set
66 His Majesty's Dragon
72 Tigana
73 The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
75 Fool's Errand
77 The Liveship Traders Trilogy: Ship of Magic + Mad Ship + Ship of Destiny.
78 Elantris
88 Dead Until Dark
92 Charlotte's Web
93 The Divine Comedy

probably won't get to any time soon
8 The Dark Tower Series Collection: Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three, Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, the Dark Tower
16 Elric of Melniboné
19 The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition
20 The Dragonlance Chronicles/Dragons of Autumn Twilight/Dragons of Winter Night/Dragons of Spring Dawning
21 A Wizard of Earthsea
22 Howl's Moving Castle
23 The Last Unicorn
29 His Dark Materials
30 The Mists of Avalon
33 The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition
34 Legend
37 Dead Witch Walking
47 The Blade Itself
48 The Neverending Story
49 Sabriel
52 Night Watch
55 Queen's Own
60 The Talisman
62 A Spell for Chameleon
65 Watership Down
67 The Black Prism
68 The Odyssey
69 Mary Poppins
70 Neverwhere
71 Stardust
81 Furies of Calderon
82 The Children of Húrin
84 Redwall
85 The Dragonbone Chair
90 On a Pale Horse
91 The Last Herald-Mage
94 Graceling
96 Dragon Wing
98 Swords and Deviltry
99 The Book of Three
100 Dreams Underfoot

message 48: by Katy (last edited Nov 22, 2011 05:53PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) I've read 49 of these books (series) and own another 26 that I have not read yet. I am going to work on those I own, 5 at a time.

My first five (to dip in my toe)
9) Gardens of the Moon
42) Darkfever
48) The Neverending Story
72) Tigana
77) Ship of Magic

Own the Book, but Have Not Read (***plan to read for the challenge)
***9 Gardens of the Moon
24 The Fionavar Tapestry
25 Kushiel's Dart
26 Chronicles of The Black Company (book #1)
30 The Mists of Avalon
***42 Darkfever
45 Storm Front
***48 The Neverending Story
50 The Iliad
66 His Majesty's Dragon
67 The Black Prism
68 The Odyssey
70 Neverwhere
***72 Tigana
73 The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
***77 The Liveship Traders Trilogy: Ship of Magic + Mad Ship + Ship of Destiny.
81 Furies of Calderon
82 The Children of Húrin
87 Best Served Cold
93 The Divine Comedy

Read (and amazingly I own most of these books)
2 A Game of Thrones (books 1 -4) (plan to read: Dance of Dragons)
4 The Name of the Wind (plan to read: The Wise Man’s Fear)
6 The Eye of the World (read the entire series that is out, waiting for: A Memory of Light)
12 Wizard's First Rule
13 The Color of Magic
21 A Wizard of Earthsea
22 Howl's Moving Castle
23 The Last Unicorn
28 Magician
29 His Dark Materials
32 Daughter of the Blood
36 The Way of Kings
40 The Dark Is Rising Sequence
44 The Princess Bride
47 The Blade Itself
49 Sabriel
58 The Curse of Chalion
63 Hounded
64 Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set
65 Watership Down
71 Stardust
75 Fool's Errand
78 Elantris
84 Redwall
85 The Dragonbone Chair
92 Charlotte's Web
94 Graceling
95 Black Sun Rising
98 Swords and Deviltry
99 The Book of Three

I’ve tried to read these before with no luck

message 49: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Kathy wrote: "I've read 49 of these books (series) and own another 26 that I have not read yet. I am going to work on those I own, 5 at a time.

My first five (to dip in my toe)
9) [book:Gardens of the Moon|553..."

Wow! I'd love to go digging around in your library.

;-)

message 50: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments There are these 16 books that I have not read and want to, so I will put myself down for 16

13 The Color of Magic
22 Howl's Moving Castle
24 The Fionavar Tapestry
30 The Mists of Avalon
32 Daughter of the Blood
36 The Way of Kings
52 Night Watch
58 The Curse of Chalion
60 The Talisman
78 Elantris