Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Wilkie Collins
This topic is about Wilkie Collins
Sai King's Favorite Authors > Wilkie Collins

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Nov 19, 2011 04:14PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1093 comments Mod
Stephen King Recommended Author.

William Wilkie Collins is sometimes credited to have written the first detective novel. Although this claim is often disputed, his work is a significant contribution to the genre, with red herrings and a final twist, etc.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Has anyone every read a book by this author? I heard several years ago that Stephen King likes this author. Suggestions anyone???

message 3: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

I have never read anything by him before.

The story of The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins was first a serialisation which ran concurrently in All the Year Round and Harper's Weekly in 1859/1860 and has never been out of print since.

I currently have it checked out from the library, so will be reading it soon. I can let you know what I think or we could do another buddy read!!! :)

Oh and we can add it to our challenge.

message 4: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Nov 19, 2011 04:12PM) (new)

Beginning with a collection of documents, an epistolary novel, The Moonstone switches to character narration to make some explanations.

It has been suggested that Jonathan Whicher, a real detective, is the model on whom Inspector Cuff is based, and that the Moonstone has a similar history to the Hope Diamond.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I need to see if I can get it on audio from my library. It may be after Thanksiving for me.

message 6: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Linda wrote: "I need to see if I can get it on audio from my library. It may be after Thanksiving for me."

I can shuffle! Have more books checked out than I should.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Hey Almeta, do you want to do a buddy read for The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins - I found a copy that is available on my Nook. Let me know when you are ready.

message 8: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Linda wrote: "Hey Almeta, do you want to do a buddy read for The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins - I found a copy that is available on my Nook. Let me know when you are ready."

I can start December 1st. Will that work?

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Yes, that will work for me.

message 10: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Dec 01, 2011 04:43AM) (new)

Linda wrote: "Yes, that will work for me."

Hey Linda, I set up a separate discussion topic for The Woman in White under "Sai King's Favorite Books". Join me over there for our buddy read.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Woman in White (other topics)
The Moonstone (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wilkie Collins (other topics)