Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Joe Hill
This topic is about Joe Hill

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1094 comments Mod
Stephen King Recommended Author.

message 2: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) Love Joe Hill, he ranks right up there with his dad for me. I hope he has a long, long career with lots and lots of published works :)

message 3: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A I'm a big fan of Joe Hill. I've read Horns, currently reading Heart Shaped Box, and hoping that NOS4A2 is the group read for this month! ;)

message 4: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments The apple didn't fall far from the tree when it comes to Joe Hill. I really liked HSB and loved Horns. Horns had a lot of heart and that's what really reeled me in. I read NOS4A2 as soon as it came out and was not disappointed. Since it was a longer novel it gave Hill the necessary time to flesh out the characters (much like his father does) and made diving into the story that much more rewarding. I still need to read 20th Century Ghosts and want to check out Locke & Key.

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Yep, like father, like son. I have enjoyed everything I've read of his!

message 6: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments I'd love to see a full-length novel collaboration between father and son in the future. Now that would be epic.

message 7: by Tammy (new)

Tammy A full-length novel collaborated between father and son in the future would be incredibly awesome!!!

message 8: by Debra (new)

That would be awesome!

message 9: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Tammy wrote: "A full-length novel collaborated between father and son in the future would be incredibly awesome!!!"

Duane wrote: "I'd love to see a full-length novel collaboration between father and son in the future. Now that would be epic."

Debra wrote: "That would be awesome!"

Are you sure? Then you'd have to settle for one incredible book instead of getting two incredible books!:)

message 10: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments Absolutley. I'm not greedy. King has given us two lifetimes worth of great work and Hill is well on his way. To have the two of them putting their creative noggins together to compose a new novel would be mind blowing. The expectations would be quite high. I think they could pull it off.

message 11: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Have any of you read the short story collab they did?
Throttle. I have it on my kindle, it's only 47 pages, I haven't read it yet though.

message 12: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments I have Throttle but have not read it yet. I did read In the Tall Grass and it was pretty creepy, although the second half kind of fell a little flat. Still pretty good. I do know that Hill suggested the idea for the ending of 11/22/63 which I thought was amazing.

message 13: by Debra (new)

Thanks for the tip about Throttle, guys. I just purchased it for my Nook!

message 14: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments Also of interest, there's a movie adaptation of Horns starring Daniel Radcliffe coming out in October. The main worry I have about a Horns movie is the how the physical appearance of the horns will translate to film. It could come off as corny, unless they manage to play the dark comedy aspect really, really well. We shall see.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1528071/

message 15: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Duane wrote: "Also of interest, there's a movie adaptation of Horns starring Daniel Radcliffe coming out in October. The main worry I have about a Horns movie is the how the physical appearance of the horns will..."

Have you seen the horns yet, Duane? They don't look like I pictured them at all. I'm rather disappointed.

message 16: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-c...

^^ There is a sneak peak. I am not happy with them.

message 17: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments Samantha wrote: "http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-c...

^^ There is a sneak peak. I am not happy with them."

Forgot that I did see that pic. I guess they would look silly regardless of how they were designed. I was thinking more along the lines of how the horns are going to come off in the context of the flick. Like how the other characters react to them. If that makes any sense. That's why I think it will have to played as a dark comedy. While reading the novel you never even think about that aspect because your imagination takes over and it just makes sense. Seeing it on screen may not work as well.

message 18: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Ahh I understand, yeah I agree.

As far as the horns go, I didn't picture them twisting backwards, or being so rough and black. And didn't he say they were supposed to be about the length of a pinky or something? Those are basically double.

Hopefully the movie does it justice, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

message 19: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments Yeah I pictured them as tiny little nubs, Samantha. Still pretty cool that JH has his first movie adaptation coming so soon. You're going to love NOS4A2. I read it as soon as it came out.

message 20: by Debra (new)

This is the first I've heard that Horns will be a movie. Can't wait. As far as the horns go, yeah, they are going to have to play that right. We'll see. Daniel Radcliffe is a good actor, so he just might be able to pull it off!

message 21: by Tara (new)

Tara Riley (terrorrose) I started with Nos4atu- amazing!!! Now I'm heard

message 22: by Debra (new)

It's looking like NOS4A2 is going to be our group read for July-August, so you can join in on the discussion threads when they are set up, Tara!

message 23: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A I'm ordering NOS4A2 tonight off Amazon! (Along with Joyland, which i've already read, and a Lisa Gardner book).. So excited to read it!

message 24: by Debra (new)

Excellent, Samantha!

message 25: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

I'm number 10 in the library queue!!!

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments I think I'm one of the few who haven't jumped on the JH bandwagon. Needless to say, I'm boarding this afternoon.

message 27: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments Amber wrote: "I think I'm one of the few who haven't jumped on the JH bandwagon. Needless to say, I'm boarding this afternoon."

It's not a bandwagon if you happen to be discovering a good writer that others are also starting to read for the first time.

message 28: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments Interesting interview with the director of the forthcoming Horns film.

http://www.fearnet.com/news/interview...

message 29: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments I read Heart-Shaped Box and really enjoyed it. I haven't finished NOS4a2 yet, but I am firmly in the Joe Hill camp.

message 30: by Duane (last edited Jul 08, 2013 05:23PM) (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments Janice wrote: "I read Heart-Shaped Box and really enjoyed it. I haven't finished NOS4a2 yet, but I am firmly in the Joe Hill camp."

I've read all three of his novels and I would vote Horns as my favorite.

message 31: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments Short article about the Horns premiere in Toronto. It is set for an October 11 release date. I'm excited!

http://ca.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/tiff...

message 32: by Debra (new)

Yep, I'll be forking out the dough to see Horns in the theatre!

message 33: by Tara (new)

Tara Riley (terrorrose) Me too! I'm reading it now, almost finished! It is soooo good!

message 34: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments Interview he did with USA Today Books

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/20...

message 35: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments Amber wrote: "Interview he did with USA Today Books

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/20..."

Nice interview, Amber. Thanks for sharing.

message 36: by Josée Leon (new)

Josée Leon (join_bookland) | 144 comments Very cool, thanks Amber! I see he compares Christmasland to the place boys go to in Pinocchio. I had actually commented on that similarity when we were reading NOS4A2 :)
I have yet to read Horns - it's waiting for me on my tablet. I'm looking forward to it and the movie too. Nice that it premiered at TIFF last week! One of these days I'll be attending...

message 37: by Amber (new)

Amber | 126 comments I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but 'Horns' is one of the Kindle daily deals on Amazon today. Only $1.99!

message 38: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Sep 21, 2013 05:02AM) (new)

Josee wrote: "Very cool, thanks Amber! I see he compares Christmasland to the place boys go to in Pinocchio. I had actually commented on that similarity when we were reading NOS4A2 :)
..."

I thought more of Peter Pan's Never Never Land. I'm getting ready to read the original story soon. I understand that it is darker than the Disney version.

NOS4A2 and The Child Thief are making me curious.

message 39: by Jill (new)

Jill Jepson I feel like I'm way behind everyone else here--haven't gotten to Joe Hill (or many of the authors people are discussing). That's all right: I'm excited about the coming year, when I'll be delving into some great new reading. So, thanks!

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I read NOS4A2 a few months back and thought it was amazing. The first book that I've read in a while which really creeped me out and gave me nightmares! What a result for a horror book!

I am really looking forward to reading some more of his stuff.

I didn't realise there was going to be a film for Horns - I will have to read the book soon so I can watch the film!

message 41: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 801 comments Apparently there are references to Joe Hill in King's newly released Doctor Sleep. I'll be watching for them when I get around to reading it.

message 42: by Debra (new)

NOS4A2 certainly did have some creepy moments, Sarah. Glad you liked it!

I think my copy of Dr. Sleep is in my mailbox. Got to read The Shining again, first! Will watch for those references to Joe Hill, too, Janice.

message 43: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments I posted a picture of my signed copy of Doctor Sleep I received at the Boulder event. :)

message 44: by Debra (new)

Where's the pic, Duane?

message 45: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments I supposed a link would help.
http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/1...

message 46: by Akira (new)

Akira (miyakobunny) | 2 comments Have we done The Fireman as a group read yet? I know it was one of the options before will it be revisited as a group read option again?

message 47: by Almeta, co-moderator (new)

Pearl wrote: "Have we done The Fireman as a group read yet? I know it was one of the options before will it be revisited as a group read option again?"

Yes, It was the July - August Group Read. Its not too late for you to give us your comments though. We'd love to hear your thoughts.☺