Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Discussions about books > What's your Best Fantsy book for 2011

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry Simpson | 261 comments For me, it is Prince of Thorns. A close second was The Wise Man's Fear. PoT beat out TWMF for me because he didn't wander, and Lawrence's prose just made me hang on his words. I felt like Jorg was talking to me personally and it's hard to make me feel like that. I have never rooted for an anti-hero or villain to win as much as I rooted for Jorg. Right now, he is probably my favorite character in any book, right there with Tyrion Lannister.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Terry wrote: "For me, it is Prince of Thorns. A close second was The Wise Man's Fear. PoT beat out TWMF for me because he didn't wander, and Lawrence's prose just made me hang on hi..."

I was so happy my kid sister let me read her giveaway copy of Prince of Thorns! I have Todd reading it now and he's loving it. Its been such a long time since I found a character I instantly loved like that in any genre. Can't wait until I can get my hands on the sequel! I think he said its it'll be coming out next summer.

message 3: by Traci (new)

Traci I just finished it but I think my favorite book that was released this year was The Alloy of Law. My kind of book.

A close second would be The Map of Time. I loved this fantasy/science fiction/steampunk/historical/mystery hybrid.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Of what I've read, probably Alloy of Law followed by Dresden. TWMF was good, but rambled too much to be a favorite. And ADwD was just kinda meh.

Guess I should read this Thorns book at some point, though.

message 5: by Terry (new)

Terry Simpson | 261 comments Ala wrote: "Of what I've read, probably Alloy of Law followed by Dresden. TWMF was good, but rambled too much to be a favorite. And ADwD was just kinda meh.

Guess I should read this Thorns book at some point,..."

Agree of ADwD. I gave it a bit better rating than it deserved because I was just so happy he actually wrote it lmao. Was that worth a star?

message 6: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 143 comments Books PUBLISHED in 2011?? Hard to choose, but these are the ones I've read this year in order of current preference.

Phoenix Rising
The Wise Man's Fear
Of Blood and Honey
Spectyr
Heartless
Prince of Thorns

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments The best "fantasy" books I have read and published in 2011 are American Gods: The Tenth Anniversary Edition which has been revised an expanded; and Willy a psychology horror that operates on a number of levels and leaves one wondering. These are my only 5* "fantasies" so far this year, though there a many I have yet to read which might be included.

The best fantasy I have read in 2011, but published earlier include all of Janny Wurtz Wars of Light and Shadow series. This has taken up most of my fantasy reading this year.

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 572 comments There are two that stand out for me so far this year, Beauty and the Werewolf and The Wild Ways Very different, but both are additions to series I particularly like.