Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
This topic is about Anne of Green Gables

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stacy (stacylienemann) Why does Anne Shirley stand out in YA lit?

Kathryn | 60 comments I think for her "scope of imagination" and her spunk and heart.

Tien (tiensblurb) | 18 comments THE WAY SHE TALKS!
oh my goodness - could you imagine any child speaking the way she does?! (btw, if you're wondering how old I am to say stuff like this, I'm 28)

message 4: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace (Candybum) It is a happily-ever-after kind of story. She is an orphan, an out cast, a unique "strange" girl and yet she finds acceptance, love, friendship, family. That probably doesn't really make her stand out but she is extreemly out spoken, free spirited, and imaginative... I think I basically said what everyone else has already said.

I grew up reading this book. I loved it and she made me feel a bit better about my life.

message 5: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I just started this book, I am about on chapter 5, so far I think the character would stand out because mainly of how she talks. It is a feel good kinda of talk, makes me wish that every time I looked at a tree I gave it a name. In fact, I think I am going to name all the tress in my yard today!

I have had this book since junior high, my mom bought the collection for me but I never took the time to read them. So I am so glad to finally be cracking this book open.

Christine | 147 comments Anne Shirley is such an amazing girl. She is very relatable, and she makes life so amazing.

Demi (demim) Stacy wrote: "Why does Anne Shirley stand out in YA lit?"

She a strong, female character who doesn't let anyone get the best of her. She speaks her mind and I like that. One of my favorites characters. Loved the miniseries with Megan Follows too.

message 8: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djcummings) missmoppet wrote: "I totally agree. I think its also because shes a kind hearted character in book, that isnt corrupted by the world. Shes a character that people of all ages can enjoy.

Candace wrote: "It is a h..."

I agree. I love strong, female characters in books. So many of them are such wimps and only caught with boys/men, vampires or werewolves.

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I wish more people would read classics.

message 10: by Christine (last edited Jan 22, 2012 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine | 147 comments Angie wrote: "I wish more people would read classics."

Most people I know think they're poor literature and are stupid and boring compared to today. NOT TRUE!!!!!
Anne is so sweet! Why do people have to be so discriminatory? Wait, I'm acting like she's a real person. Whoops.

Christine | 147 comments I don't really remember that much of rxacly what h

Christine | 147 comments I don't remember the exact details of the movie, but I feel like they were relatively similar to the books.

message 13: by Jade (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jade Varden (jadevarden) I always liked her because she's not beautiful. It made her easy to root for.