Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Re-covers of books.

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bex (new)

Bex (kiltedtwizzles) | 23 comments What's the done thing regarding books that have had their covers changed due to re-prints?

I was going through a bunch of my books today & found quite a few of my Alex Rider & Artemis Fowl books have had their covers changed to the new version. Would it be okay for me to revert them back to the original cover which goes with the isbn I have shelved?

I've owned the books for years & I know roughly when they were re-covered as half of my copies are with the new style & the others not.

EX1: Point Blanc

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 18434 comments If cover art is updated, but the ISBN remains the same, an alternate edition should be created, rather than changing the existing image for the edition. I've used a revert if someone else has changed the cover when they should have created an alternate. Is that what you mean?

message 3: by Bex (new)

Bex (kiltedtwizzles) | 23 comments Yeah that's exactly it, the cover has been switched to the updated one rather than a new edition being made. Looks like some are an "import from Amazon" issue too.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
If the cover has switched because Amazon's info has changed, I suggest just making a new alt-cover edition. Amazon's data will likely keep messing with it otherwise.

message 5: by Bex (new)

Bex (kiltedtwizzles) | 23 comments Yeah that's a good point, I will if it changes again. I'm just a stickler enough that I want the actual isbn listed wherever possible.

message 6: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Is there any way of deleting an erroneous cover (from Amazon) that does not belong to the book in question?

The book is Target for Tragedy. The cover showing is actually from a Detective Book Club 3-in-1.

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments If you have a copy of the correct cover you can upload that and it will over right amazon. Otherwise you could add the no image picture.

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Paula wrote: "Otherwise you could add the no image picture."

Is there a place on GR that I should copy the no image picture from?

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments No - I would just look for a book with no cover and see if you can save and load that one

message 10: by Bex (new)

Bex (kiltedtwizzles) | 23 comments here it's only little because the actual missing cover looks like this :)

message 11: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Bex wrote: "here it's only little because the actual missing cover looks like this :)"

Thank you very much.

message 12: by Bex (new)

Bex (kiltedtwizzles) | 23 comments Not a problem :) The other option would be to check wiki/google for a better cover for it.

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Bex wrote: "Not a problem :) The other option would be to check wiki/google for a better cover for it."

I had already searched with 5 different search engines for a non-copyrighted image. No luck, and my copy is missing the dust jacket, so that doesn't help either.

message 14: by Bex (new)

Bex (kiltedtwizzles) | 23 comments Ah, that's unfortunate. I'd say if you can scan/take a photo of your cover if it has the title on. Better to have that there than a placeholder, even if it's just the title on a cover.

message 15: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Peter wrote: "I had already searched with 5 different search engines for a non-copyrighted image. No luck, and my copy is missing the dust jacket, so that doesn't help either."

Who has the copyrights for the images? If they are copyrighted by the publisher are they not included under fair use?

message 16: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Vicky wrote: "Who has the copyrights for the images? If they are copyrighted by the publisher are they not included under fair use? "

The bookseller copyrighted their photo of the book. This is becoming more common.

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott | 18434 comments You mean there is a watermark? If it's a clean image I wouldn't worry about it. No one can tell what book it came from, and no one but the publisher can copyright the cover itself.

message 18: by Peter (last edited Nov 19, 2011 12:49PM) (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Scott wrote: "You mean there is a watermark? If it's a clean image I wouldn't worry about it. No one can tell what book it came from, and no one but the publisher can copyright the cover itself."

This is more that a watermark. It is a copyright notice that has been added (in white against a dark portion of the cover). It is just like a picture of a book that appears in your newspaper; the picture is copyrighted with the rest of the paper.

While it is true that "no one but the publisher can copyright the cover itself", photographers can copyright any image or set of images that they take, and do do so. It is just like a picture of a book in your newspaper: the picture is copyrighted as part of the contents of the paper.

message 19: by Scott (new)

Scott | 18434 comments Sure, but then I could take a scan or photo of my own copy of the book and it would look exactly the same, so it's kind of meaningless.

message 20: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments To the best of my knowledge, a scan, is no more copyrightable than a photocopy, which has to abide by the rights of the original copyright holder; so, a scan is the way to go.

On the other hand, your photo would not have the copyright tags that professional photographers can use. Unless GR is stripping out the metadata from JPEGs, the photographer could recognize their work, or even search for it using a search engine. (This is one of the way that RIAA finds pirates.) So, even though you could take a "photo of my own copy of the book and it would look exactly the same," it is not "kind of meaningless".

message 21: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Do you mean a notice like the one on this cover from Amazon?

Covers like that are imported from Amazon all the time.

I'm fairly (99%) certain that book covers are considered fair use for Goodreads' purposes, just as we are able to copy the summaries of the books straight from the publishers. I think it's safe to use the copyrighted image for our purposes here.

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Vicky wrote: "Do you mean a notice like the one on this cover from Amazon?"

Sorry it took so long to get back.

No, I mean like this:

http://pictures.abebooks.com/MWBOOKS2/744374488.jpg

Notice the copyright notice from the bookseller. They are copyrighting their photo of the book.

message 23: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Here are more from other websites from the same seller:

http://images.alibris.com/imageid/2009237911.jpg http://c2.bibtopia.com/h/173/720/237720173.0.l.jpg