Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books Just Finished/Now Reading > I'm reading this week.....

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenrt) | 18 comments I am reading Carved in Bone by Jefferson Bass. I'm having a little problem getting into it, but determined to stick with it. I love forensic science mysteries. I'm listening to The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson-one of the funniest lines in a mystery, when asked when he expected to wrap up the case, the sheriff said, "Well, I could write a confession and arrest myself." (I have been laughing aloud listening to this book.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments Sounds interesting Ellen, I think several here have read Bass's books before. I have read Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab the Body Farm Where the Dead Do Tell Tales. Forensic mysteries are some of my favorites too, along with audio books that make me laugh out loud!

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Raffety (jraffety) | 16 comments Just finished Margaret Maron's The Buzzanrd Table. I am a fan of her Deborah Knott series and really enjoyed it.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments Julie, I just finished Burn Marks which helps me along as I work through Sara Paretsky's back list of VI Warshawski books. I haven't read Margaret Maron's books (yet)

message 5: by Shomeret (last edited Dec 23, 2012 08:52PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments I've been very dis-satisfied with the fact that I've read zero mysteries so far this month. I tried to read one yesterday and ended up abandoning it. It's The Devil's Trill, the first book in a series by Gerald Elias that sounded fascinating. It started off with a historical scene, but when it switched to the contemporary plot line, I lost interest. The protagonist is very interesting (a blind violinist who solves mysteries),but the plot wandered away from him and I had no interest in those people. Has anyone read any of this series?

I'm hoping to have time to read Freaks
by Tess Gerritsen on my Kindle before this month ends, so I'll have a mystery to report at the mystery F2F club.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments JF Vengeance in Death by J.D. Robb. Slowly working my way through this series. Stories are a bit competitive, but the audio reader is excellent, so am using as my filler in between other better audio books.

Btw, I am remembering we are starting a group read of The Twelve in January. I will set up the discussions posts in the next couple of days for anyone who wants to start before the 1rst.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I'm reading The Black Box by Michael Connelly

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments Shomeret wrote: "I've been very dis-satisfied with the fact that I've read zero mysteries so far this month. I tried to read one yesterday and ended up abandoning it. It's The Devil's Trill, the first book in a se..."

besides gone girl and maybe a few other's I haven't read that many either this year. next year is going to be alot different when picking out books. I know I've said that in the past but I need more of a mix.
I would also like to do some catching up with certain series I have started for different mystery authors (child, coyle, coben etc.)

message 9: by Cphe (new)

Cphe I'm reading The Collaborators by Reginal Hill

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments in addition to my current audio and Kindle library loan of It Happens in the Dark and Leave a Message for Willie respectively, I am reading Saturn's Return to New York as I am working my way through Sara Gran's books.

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Am almost done with the audio of The Grave Tattoo by Val McDermid. That woman sure can write!

After that am looking forward to digging into my newly- purchased-from-Audible audio of Louise Penny's newest, How the Light Gets In. There is nothing like the soft French Canadian lilt of the reader of this series.

message 12: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments I'm reading The See-Through Leopard, a YA novel that takes place in Kenya which I received for review.

Next up:The Ghost Brideby Yangsze Choo

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments Ahh, Carol - there is not!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "After that am looking forward to digging into my newly- purchased-from-Audible audio of Louise Penny's newest, How the Light Gets In. There is nothing like the soft French Canadian lilt of the reader of this series. "

message 14: by annodluvsbks (new)

annodluvsbks | 101 comments I'm reading How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny. It takes place during the winter which is a nice change from our 90 degree heat.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I'm reading Compound Fractures by Stephen White.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments Shomeret: I look forward to hearing more about these, they both look very interesting!
Shomeret wrote: "I'm reading The See-Through Leopard, a YA novel that takes place in Kenya which I received for review. Next up:The Ghost Brideby Yangsze Choo"

message 17: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments I've been looking a The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo The Ghost Bride, Shomeret. Will look forward to seeing what you thought about it!

message 18: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments Because of school, I'm reading The See Through Leopard more slowly than I expected, and I'm not certain that I'll have enough time to read The Ghost Bride. I may need to return it unread. This is the story of my life these days. I never know what I'm actually going to read until I do. I hope to read The Ghost Bride, but I may not get a chance to do it for some time.

message 19: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments I'm always reading something on the nook that seems to be my nighttime reading. but in PBs currently I have sweet thunder by Ivan Doig which I'm reading and reviewing for the bookstore at the shore and I need to start the next f2f book grp read The sense of ending by julian barnes. has anyone read either of these books. especially the doig books. I've never read his books before and I'm having a hard time getting into this one. It seem good but I guess my problem is I'm reading other books at the same time so nothing seems to get a good amt of reading done at one time. I almost want to put that one aside and jump to one of the other books I need to review which are seen for a secret by lyndsay faye and Rosarito beach by M. A. Lawson. they all seem to be mysteries that was why I took them when she handed them to me.

message 20: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments I'm currently reading Sanctity of Hateby Priscilla Royal which is a medieval mystery.

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I'm reading The Cuckoo Calling.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments I am trying to time my audio books to be ready for Doctor Sleepnext Tuesday (24th) and The Dream Thieves just released today (17th). I am galloping through Let it Burn which is enjoyable except for the male narrator's female voice for a character (annoying bad)

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments i'm reading Get back Jack by Diane Capri - get jack back by diane capri.

message 24: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Anyone interested in my ARC of Critical Mass (V.I. Warshawski, #16) by Sara Paretsky Critical Mass?? Let me know and I'll send it out!

message 25: by Melodie (last edited Sep 18, 2013 09:53AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Ann wrote: "I am trying to time my audio books to be ready for Doctor Sleepnext Tuesday (24th) and The Dream Thieves just released today (17th). I am galloping through Let it Burn which is enjoyable except for..."

My copy of The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater The Dream Thieves arrived yesterday. Hope to get to it possibly this weekend.

message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Melodie wrote: "Anyone interested in my ARC of Critical Mass (V.I. Warshawski, #16) by Sara ParetskyCritical Mass?? Let me know and I'll send it out!"

me, if no one else has claimed it yet!

message 27: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Shomeret already beat you to it!!

message 28: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Melodie wrote: "Shomeret already beat you to it!!"

no problem, mel!

message 29: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 7 comments I'm reading Wild About You (Love at Stake, #13) by Kerrelyn Sparks for a paranormal reads challenge. :)

message 30: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments I'm reading a book on Hinduism as a read4review. I hope to finish it this weekend.

The Maid's Versionby Daniel Woodrell is coming up on my library TBR.

message 31: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments I'm "reading" (listening to) The Pawn by Stephen James.

message 32: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments ha, the big question what aren't I read since I currently have a few books going.

Seven for a secret by lyndsay faye, (arc to review for the shore bookstore)
The secret papers of madame olivetti by annie vanderbilt (a buddy read)
deeper by megan hart (a just because I want to read)

on the nook

Second honeymoon by james patterson (the library book I started last week which my sister is now reading so I'm reading my nook copy)
Julibee's journey by bette lee crosby (hopefully will finish it soon so I can get some reviews up on it)
Me before you by Jojo moyes (really need to start this book for the f2f book grp on the 20th of November)

okay I think that is enough. I try and get the at least 20 pages or wherever the chapter that 20 pages lands on ends read a day but that doesn't seem to happen alot hopefully today it will. both the next 2 books I only started yesterday deeper is a library book and really I should see about finding the nook copy and putting it off to the side for the time being until I finish the other books first. that way I can return the library book at least. so it would bring the pile down some. we shall see. it just seems sometimes that everything is on the nook so I do like a pb at some times while charging the nook even though I do have 3 nooks (original, tablet which I usually use the most, and the new simple touch) the problem is then the book has to be sideloaded on each of the nooks which it a pain at times. the ST I do have JJ and me before you just not the patterson book.

message 33: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 7 comments Just finished reading a mystery set around a book club: A Killer Read (An Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1) by Erika Chase

message 34: by Sue (new)

Sue | 3 comments I am reading Pretty Girls, by Karin Slaughter. So far, so good. Only 100 pages in......

message 35: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments Wow. This is a really OLD thread!! Carol, could you close this one and direct to J/F, N/R thread??

message 36: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Sue wrote: "I am reading Pretty Girls, by Karin Slaughter. So far, so good. Only 100 pages in......"

Sue, I recently read Pretty Girls too. I liked it, but it is one of those Slaughter books I find too graphically violent. It was a group read here back in 2013. Look back if you want to discuss it. (I confess I haven't added to that head yet, but maybe it will motivate me if you do!)

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14205 comments Hi Sue! I enjoy reading Karin Slaughter's books too. Our group read discussion for it is here - feel free to jump in on the comments
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...
Our current thread for discussing what we are reading is here ;)
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

>Sue wrote: "I am reading Pretty Girls, by Karin Slaughter. So far, so good. Only 100 pages in......"

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.