Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

An Abundance of Katherines
This topic is about An Abundance of Katherines

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heidi (yabibliophile) (hmz1505) | 27 comments Do you feel that this story is realistic? Do the characters behave like real teens? Can young adults relate?

Beth (bethwerling) I don't think the characters are like real teens at all, but it would be fun if that's really how witty and hilarious teens were. Maybe I would be able to relate to them better. Wait, that sounds conceited, like I am so incredibly witty and hilarious--but you know what I mean. I hope.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Well, there are so many different realities, as many as there are people. But I'm happy to find another book I can recommend to teenage boys, and girls & women & men too. Funny and sweet and very smart.

Anna I do think the characters are realistic. I work with middle schoolers--I help with community service so I have students from the entire realm of the school. They really can be quite funny--I think I get to see more of it since I am not their mom. Since the characters are all out of HS--I found the lack of parental "hovering" refreshing--that part is probably not realistic. Living in a Midwest suburb I can't imagine any of my friends allowing a recent HS grad to "road trip"--maybe that is why kids don't seem witty--we don't give them the chance?

Diane (dianes) That's hard to say, because teens are all so different, but I'm sure there are teens out there who are similar to the ones in this book.My kids are 18 and 20, and I've learned from getting to know all of their friends when they are at my house that there is mo one stereotypical teen- they are all different.A few of my daughter's friends are very funny,but I haven't met any teens as smart as Colin, although there was one guy who could recite from memory any type of information you could ask about any of the presidents, their families, ect. And he was a little awkward in social situations, similar to Colin in the story.

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I thought the characters were realistic. The difference is that these particular ones are smart. Otherwise, they joke with each other like teens do, have boyfriend/girlfriend troubles like teens do. Though I don't know how my parents would feel about me living in a strangers house in a strange town for a long period of time. That was unrealistic to me of a good parent.

Stephanie Beth wrote: "I don't think the characters are like real teens at all, but it would be fun if that's really how witty and hilarious teens were. Maybe I would be able to relate to them better. Wait, that sounds c..."

Your comment made me laugh - since I teach mostly freshmen, I can't even make great use of my outstanding sarcasm. I have to reserve it for my upperclassmen who actually get it. I have had a couple of students who had some Colin in them, but not many! Man, it would sure make the classroom interesting!