Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
This topic is about Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > Taylor, Laini - Daughter of Smoke and Bone - December YA BOM-Start Date December 12th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30807 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Be prepared for Spoilers
 Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini TaylorDaughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini TaylorDaughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Goodreads Description
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 11, 2011 05:44PM) (new) - added it

50 pages seems like too little while 100 pages seems like too much. How does 75 pages a day sound? Here's the breakdown:

Date Chapters Pages
December 12 1 - 11 1 - 76
December 13 12 - 21 77 - 148
December 14 22 - 31 149 - 221
December 15 32 - 41 222 - 298
December 16 42 - 54 299 - 373
December 17 55 - Epilogue 374 - 418

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 18, 2011 10:39AM) (new) - added it

Discussion Questions

Chapters 1-11
1) This is a very different book. In some ways it's a little hard to follow. I wish it had a glossary. All the K names are rendering me confused and I have to go back and check to make sure the character is who I think they are. Anyone else?
2) What do you feel is the age range for this one? I almost feel Karou is more in college and should be at least 18. If I'm not mistaken YA only goes through characters who are 17 and when they reach 18 the books enter the adult category. Is that correct?
3) Case in point, how many students do you know would have an art class which feature nude Models? You know I always hear about such classes, but have never actually encountered any that do this. Has anyone known anyone who has taken this type of class or know of a class that has this? I'm just curious.
4) What did you think if Kazimir's & Karou's past relationship? Do you think there's more to it then we know? Why does he seem to be pursuing her now?
5) Did you like itch spells? I did laugh. If you had access to spells would you like to use this on anyone? What would use your wish for? I think we've all met someone we'd wish something not hurtful, but sort of along the lines of what Karou did to Kazimir to happen to someone.
6) Karou calls Brimstone a Wishmonger. What all do you think that entails?
7) What is the significance of the eyes on the palms? Does it ward off evil?
8) Brimstone seems to worry Karou will leave him. Why do you think he ended up with her? Do you think she might not truly be just a human?
9) What do you think Brimstone is hiding from her? Is he truly the devil as the passage states, "She had been innocent once, a little girl playing with feathers on the floor o a devil's lair."?
10) Thoughts on the world building? Do you like the Poison Kitchen and Brimstone's house?
11) So do you think the angel's and Karou's paths will cross?
12) What's with all the teeth and wishes? Could we be dealing with a tooth fairy. Sorry, I'm guessing not, but it is interesting. Wonder if there is some connection?

Chapters 12-21
13) Well, Karou and Akiva finally meet and it's definitely not love at first sight.
14) Do you think Karou is part Chimera?
15) Karou means hope. Any ideas of what she was hoped to bring about or do?
16) Do you think Kazimir will bother her again after she flipped him through the window?
17) So now she has access to wishes? Think she's going to wish for a portal?
18) Kashmish is dead. Do you think everyone else is okay?
19) What do you think the wishbone is for? Why did Brimstone send it? I kept wondering why she didn't wish to know what Brimstone was trying to tell her.
20) Do you think Brimstone would have eventually let her return if the portals had not been destroyed?
21) At the beginning of the book was a page that said, "Once upon a time an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well." Was that referring to Brimstone and someone else? Could Karou really be his daughter or do you think it was referring to Karou and Akiva?
22) What did you think of the "other" world? What were they doing with all the chimeras?
23) Were you surprised Zuzana believed Karou?
24) What did you think of the fallen angel?
25) Do you have any clue what is going on--besides a war?

Chapters 22-31
26) Brimstone left Karou a lot of money and real estate; do you think he foresaw the portals closing? He certainly prepared her financially for life alone.
27) Do you think Razgut really knows where another portal is, or is he just being mischievous and looking for company?
28) Will Bain hold true to his threat and make Karou's life difficult?
29) Was I the only one who thought of Edward Cullen while Akiva watched Karou sleeping?
30) If being close to Karou's hands harmed Akiva during the fight scene then why can they be close comfortably now that they are amiable? *sniff* I smell a discrepancy.
31) So the hamsas are also called revenants' marks -- worn only by chimaera soldiers. How could Karou be a soldier if she barely knows what is going on and why would Brimstone hide her? Thoughts? Comments?
32) Can we just assume (with 99% surety) that Karou is Madrigal reincarnated? Agree or disagree? I suspected that we were dealing with reincarnation (or something of the sorts) when Brimstone said that her body was a "shell" for her soul.
33) Akiva says that the price of magic is pain. Whose pain do you think it is: the angels, the chimaera, or humans?

Chapters 32-41
34) So using magic causes self inflicted pain? Am I understanding this correctly? That sounds very sadistic to me. And why can't Karou feel the pain when she makes wishes? I'm confused x_x
35) Oh, hell. Must. Mate. Immediately."
Zuzanna is a laugh a minute, bless her fictional soul. She and Karou had the 'girl talk' in front Akiva and assumed that he couldn't understand them; he had a bemused expression on his face the whole time. Do you think he understood the conversation but chose to act like he didn't?
36) Brimstone gave Karou her hamsa, I'm assuming he did this to give her a way to defend herself against angels. Is it possible that he also gave them to her as a way to keep her from Akiva?
37) I'm surprised that Karou didn't promise to meet Akiva in Marrakesh instantly upon his suggestion (even though she did in the end). I know her feelings are growing for him but I can't help but wonder if she will have to choose between her family and him. She did make a promise to Brimstone. Do you think she'll have to choose between him and her family? And if so, who do you think she will choose?
38) You mentioned you wanted a glossary, Lisa. I think I'd settle for some illustrations. It's hard for me to visualize some of the chimaeras, especially Madrigal. Also, I'd love to see a prequel.
39) Liraz and Hazael didn't approve of Avika's 'relationship' with Karou, and that is understandable. After the initial shock factor wears of do you think they'll let sleeping dogs lay, or will they report him to the higher ups?
40) Akiva keeps saying that when Karou breaks the wishbone she'll remember who she is/was and won't think of him the same. Is the wishbone storing Karou's memories from when she was Madrigal (assuming that she is Madrigal of course)?

Chapters 42-54
41) Once upon a time, there were two moons, who were two sisters. Nitid was the goddess of tears and life, and the sky was hers. No one worshiped Ellai but secret lovers.
I think it's interesting how Laini Taylor uses these quotes to hint at what is to come in each section. Of course I've seen it done before, but I think she does it extremely well. In what ways did this quote relate to the chapters you just read?
42) Thoughts and/or Comments on the teeth and Brimstone being a resurrectionist and what the teeth are really used for? Did guess correctly about either of them?
43) Madrigal's sister, Chiro, is obviously very jealous of her. We know that Madrigal's relationship with Akiva will be revealed to the chimaera. Do you think Chiro will have something to do with this?
44) What do you think of the slight hierarchy in the chimaera society where high-humans are considered more beautiful? Can you think of any examples of how this prejudice(?) applies to out society?
45) In the opening scene it said that Ellai was 'worshipped by secret lovers.' I'm assuming that Chiro is the modern version of Ellai, so who do you think is her secret lover? Could it be Thiago? That would explain her jealousy.

Chapters 55-Epilogue
46) Looks like a prequel won't be necessary. Seems like this last bit was actually the beginning and sadly the end. I had no clue what he'd done. Gah! Totally shocked.
47) Any idea what the sequel will hold? I'm thinking it's too long since her family was killed to glean any souls. :( Could they have found pre-made bodies?
48) You were pretty close to what happened with Chiro. So I'm guessing Chiro did not get reincarnated?
49) Do you think they killed all the chimaeras or just Karou's family?
50) Is there any hope left?
51) Why did Brimstone think she'd leave them? I'm confused.
52) So each race had their story of where Chimera came from. Looks like the chimaera legend had to do with the verse we previously saw about the moons.
53) What is your overall thoughts of the book?
54) Do you feel this was one of the most original books of 2011?

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments Don't have the book..:-(

Sashana Did you check your local library?

message 6: by Jex (new) - added it

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments #94 in line at the library. *sigh*

message 7: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I by passed the long line by going through a very stingy library that hoards all their new books. If you go in and it's on their shelves they'll let you have it otherwise it's reserved for their patrons alone.

message 8: by Melissia (new)

Melissia Bruehl (melissiabruehl) | 0 comments I'm next on the list at the library! Hoping to join in!

Sashana I'm excited to have you, Melissia! It's always nice to see new faces.

Jennifer Provost (parthalan) | 6 comments I'm so excited to have this as the BOM!

Sashana Will you be joining us, Jennifer?

Jennifer Provost (parthalan) | 6 comments I'm going to try. This is a really great book and I'd love to discuss it with the group.

Aneeqah | 322 comments I think you all will really love this book. I wanted to read it with the group, but then I got it from the library, and I couldn't resist! It's really something different.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 696 comments Just got this book from the library.

message 15: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Question to everyone who is going to read this. 50 pages seems like too little while 100 pages seems like too much. How does 75 pages a day sound? Here's the breakdown:

Date Chapters Pages
December 11 1 - 11 1 - 76
December 12 12 - 21 77 - 148
December 13 22 - 31 149 - 221
December 14 32 - 41 222 - 298
December 15 42 - 54 299 - 373
December 15 55 - Epilogue 374 - 418

message 16: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Should we start today or should we wait? I'll start reading shortly.

message 17: by Sashana (last edited Dec 11, 2011 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana I'm good for today. Can you post this at the top too, Lisa? Please and thank you :)

Valorie I finished this book a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of the YA genre, I just can't stomach the high school angst and drama that seem to go hand in hand with that genre. This book seemed more fantasy than YA, and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much. I hope everyone likes it! I can't wait for the next book in the series!

message 19: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I am still reading. Got caught up in another book I couldn't put down till I finished and am currently 30 pages into this one.

Sashana Let's make the official start date tomorrow then. I haven't started yet.

message 21: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Done. :)

message 22: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Writing Questions

message 23: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 12, 2011 02:21PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapters 1 - 11
Karou - main character
Kazimir - ex-boyfriend
Kashmish - works for Brimstone
Brimstone - Karou's guardian
Zuzana - Karou's best friend

Wish levels
Scuppy
Shing

1) This is a very different book. In some ways it's a little hard to follow. I wish it had a glossary. All the K names are rendering me confused and I have to go back and check to make sure the character is who I think they are. Anyone else?

2) What do you feel is the age range for this one? I almost feel Karou is more in college and should be at least 18. If I'm not mistaken YA only goes through characters who are 17 and when they reach 18 the books enter the adult category. Is that correct?

3) Case in point, how many students do you know would have an art class which feature nude Models? You know I always hear about such classes, but have never actually encountered any that do this. Has anyone known anyone who has taken this type of class or know of a class that has this? I'm just curious.

4) What did you think if Kazimir's & Karou's past relationship? Do you think there's more to it then we know? Why does he seem to be pursuing her now?

5) Did you like itch spells? I did laugh. If you had access to spells would you like to use this on anyone? What would use your wish for? I think we've all met someone we'd wish something not hurtful, but sort of along the lines of what Karou did to Kazimir to happen to someone.

8) Brimstone seems to worry Karou will leave him. Why do you think he ended up with her? Do you think she might not truly be just a human?

9) What do you think Brimstone is hiding from her? Is he truly the devil as the passage states, "She had been innocent once, a little girl playing with feathers on the floor o a devil's lair."?

10) Thoughts on the world building? Do you like the Poison Kitchen and Brimstone's house?

12) What's with all the teeth and wishes? Could we be dealing with a tooth fairy. Sorry, I'm guessing not, but it is interesting. Wonder if there is some connection?

message 24: by Sashana (last edited Dec 12, 2011 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana Answers for Chapters 1 - 11

1). This is a very different book. In some ways it's a little hard to follow. I wish it had a glossary. All the K names are rendering me confused and I have to go back and check to make sure the character is who I think they are. Anyone else?
Surprisingly I'm keeping up with everything. I can't pronounce the names but I know who is who. A glossary would be nice though. The problem that I'm having is that my eBook doesn't have chapter numbers, only chapter names. So today I read to chapter 14 without realizing it.

To me it reads like a YA geared towards older teens. I disagree that YA characters should stop at 17, I would like to see more YA for older teens (17-18-19) but sadly there aren’t a lot of those. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire is a great example of YA for an older crowd, the main characters are college freshman and sophomores. On the other hand, just because a book has young characters doesn't make it YA either. I heard someone say that The Night Circus was an adult book disguised as a YA book.

I have a friend who draws live portraits to help pay for his tuition but everyone is clothed. He does go to art school so I'll ask him if the naked model is a myth lol

From what I can understand Kazimir cheated on Karou and is trying to get her back because she's being aloof. I think that's all there is to it.

I liked it because it was creative and did it's purpose without being malicious. I have on person in mind: I would make her grow a uni-brow that instantly grew back (similar to what Karou did), or have long lasting bad breath, or a bad case of acne, or....let me stop while I'm ahead.

I think his job is to convince people to make wishes (sorry, I couldn't get more creative)

I looked it up on Google and it (the palm tattoo) is called a Hamsa. In addition to warding off evil (you were right) it “also represents blessings, power and strength.” The Hamsa is usually jewelry though, not a tattoo.

I don't think she is human. If she was human then Brimstone could just use anyone off the street and not worry about Karou, she's too valuable to him. I also think he might genuinely love her in the way that a parent loves a child, so maybe he wants to keep her close in a paternal way too. As for how he ended up with her here are my theories: her parents died and left him as her caregiver or he is her father.

9) What do you think Brimstone is hiding from her? Is he truly the devil as the passage states, "She had been innocent once, a little girl playing with feathers on the floor to a devil's lair."?
I don't think he's the devil, maybe he's a demon? I really have no clue as to what he is hiding.

They sound like very interesting places. I'm enjoying the writing and the plot. The book is living up to my expectations.

Yup. I'm guessing he's supposed to be the male love interest. He reminds me of Patch from Hush, Hush.

Can you imagine how offended Brimstone would be if someone called him the tooth fairy to his face? Lol. I don't think he's a tooth fairy per say, but you have been known to make accurate guesses Lisa.

message 25: by Sashana (last edited Dec 12, 2011 05:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana Hamsa Tattoos (The palm tattoo)
Palm tattoos tend to fade quickly and are really painful (more so than other tats) because of the nerve endings so a lot of people get the Hamsa on other parts of their body.
description

description

Hamsa Jewelry
To be worn on your palm. Apparently it's big in Arabic and Jewish culture.
description

Sashana Can you do today's set of questions, Lisa? I'll take the 14, 15, and 16 and you can take the last day. How does that work for you?

message 27: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Yep, was already planning on it.

message 28: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 13, 2011 03:33PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for chapter 12 - chapter 21
Wow! So much going on.

13) Well, Karou and Akiva finally meet and it's definitely not love at first sight.

16) Do you think Kazimir will bother her again after she flipped him through the window?

19) What do you think the wishbone is for? Why did Brimstone send it? I kept wondering why she didn't wish to know what Brimstone was trying to tell her.

20) Do you think Brimstone would have eventually let her return if the portals had not been destroyed?

21) At the beginning of the book was a page that said, "Once upon a time an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well." Was that referring to Brimstone and someone else? Could Karou really be his daughter or do you think it was referring to Karou and Akiva?

22) What did you think of the "other" world? What were they doing with all the chimeras?

Sashana Answers to chapter 12 - chapter 21

It's refreshing not to see instalove in a YA Paranormal (or is it UF?). Their instantaneous dislike for each other reminds me of Starcrossed.

I'm 50/50 because she was raised by Chimeras so it would make the most sense but where is her weird animal body?

It could be hope to win the war or hope to stop the war and unite the angels and Chimeras.

Yes, he doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the box.

I think that's too big of a wish.

I think so. I just think they can't communicate because of the closed portal. I really hope that I'm right.

Maybe the wishbone is the highest level of wishes.

Yes, I think that's why he sent Kashmish. Maybe the wishbone was a peace offering and a way to apologize.

I have a theory. When I read tomorrow's set of chapters I'll ask the question :)

I thought it was great. Reminded of something out of Narnia and Lord of the Rings. Why do you think the chimeras were acting dead?

No, because she didn't believe Karou at first until she saw Kashmish (who she recognized from the stories) dead. If she had believed her with no proof then I'd be skeptical.

He reminded me of that guy with the purple turban from Harry Potter (the one who Voldermort was attached to) because of the way he hangs on to Izil.
description

Nope. I just no there is a war. I don't even know why there is a war.

message 30: by Shay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shay | 923 comments 2) What do you feel is the age range for this one? I almost feel Karou is more in college and should be at least 18. If I'm not mistaken YA only goes through characters who are 17 and when they reach 18 the books enter the adult category. Is that correct?

I think older teens, too. No graphic sex, but something about it would make me uncomfortable letting my daughter read it at 12 or 13.

Not hurtful... maybe make it so that the elevator doors always closed a split second before they could reach it. Or, they always get in the line that takes the longest time to reach the front.

I don't think she's human, but I can't put my finger on why exactly. More like if she was human, Brimstone probably wouldn't have taken her in.

I thought tooth fairy too. I guess because I always found the concept of the tooth fairy kind of creepy as a kid. Wondered what happened to the millions of teeth collected. Yuck.

message 31: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Shay said, "Not hurtful... maybe make it so that the elevator doors always closed a split second before they could reach it. Or, they always get in the line that takes the longest time to reach the front."

Exactly or the food fall off a fork before it gets to their mouth. lol

She also said, "Wondered what happened to the millions of teeth collected. Yuck."

What a thought. *Shudder*

message 32: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sashana answered "25. Do you have any clue what is going on--besides a war?
with
Nope. I just no there is a war. I don't even know why there is a war.

Good then I'm not the only one.

message 33: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sashana asked, "Why do you think the chimeras were acting dead?"

I thought only the one was alive. Didn't even occur to me the rest could be as well. Wonder why they all had hamsas on their palms?

Silly sidenote I typed hamas instead of hamsa in a search and the two are definitely two different things. lol Thanks for posting the pictures.

message 34: by Sashana (last edited Dec 14, 2011 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana I might be over analyzing (I've been known to do that) but I've been thinking about the significance of the title. Titles often give clues about the plot, right? So here is my theory: we know that Karou is an orphan, so what if her parents are an angel and demon (chimera)? Hense, the daughter of smoke (seraphs are also known as the burning ones according to Google: burning+smoke= angels) and bone (the wish bone is what got me thinking). I might be far off but I just wanted to put that out there.

No problem, Lisa. I wanted to find out more about the tattoos, pity I couldn't find any on the actual palm.

message 35: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sashana, You're not crazy that is exactly why I asked, "At the beginning of the book was a page that said, "Once upon a time an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well." Was that referring to Brimstone and someone else? Could Karou really be his daughter or do you think it was referring to Karou and Akiva?"

If he's got something to do with bone the other someone, the person we haven't heard of yet, would be an angel.

message 36: by Sashana (last edited Dec 14, 2011 03:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana So much for my eureka moment lol. I thought that quote was foreshadowing Akiva falling in love with Karou. Might have been more of a reference to the past like you're suggesting then.

message 37: by Sashana (last edited Dec 14, 2011 06:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana Questions for Chapters 22 to 31

26) Brimstone left Karou a lot of money and real estate; do you think he foresaw the portals closing? He certainly prepared her financially for life alone.

27) Do you think Razgut really knows where another portal is, or is he just being mischievous and looking for company?

29) Was I the only one who thought of Edward Cullen while Akiva watched Karou sleeping?

30) If being close to Karou's hands harmed Akiva during the fight scene then why can they be close comfortably now that they are amiable? *sniff* I smell a discrepancy.

31) So the hamsas are also called revenants' marks -- worn only by chimaera soldiers. How could Karou be a soldier if she barely knows what is going on and why would Brimstone hide her? Thoughts? Comments?

32) Can we just assume (with 99% surety) that Karou is Madrigal reincarnated? Agree or disagree? I suspected that we were dealing with reincarnation (or something of the sorts) when Brimstone said that her body was a "shell" for her soul.

33) Akiva says that the price of magic is pain. Whose pain do you think it is: the angels, the chimaera, or humans?

message 38: by Sashana (last edited Dec 14, 2011 07:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana Like author, like character? I was perusing around, searching for something when I realized that the author of this book, Laini Taylor, has bright pink hair. I wonder if she dyed it before or after the book . At least we kinda know why Karou has blue hair, the author loves color.

description

message 39: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I did notice the color of Laini's hair and did smile. I'm guessing she dyed it pink but would love a couple of scuppies to keep it that color or any other color she'd wish for. :)

message 40: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Answers to Questions for Chapters 22 to 31

I'm not sure. Could be he wanted to make sure she was set if she struck out on her own.

Yes, since Akiva sort of verified it.

I doubt it. I don't think he'd know where to look.

I didn't think that, but perhaps I should have.

The author made quite a point to say what lengths Karou went to make sure she didn't point her hamsas toward Akiva.

When I first saw all the chimaera's I wondered if she was one. Akiva (while thinking aloud so we could hear him) said that is usually done to hide something. I'm thinking angel nature.

I'm not positive that reincarnation is truly what is going on. What if she was "wished" by someone to be made young and be raised by chimaeras in the hope that angels could better understand them. For some reason I'm getting the who vibe of the 2005 movie 'Sky High' where the evil villain was changed into a baby and had to go through life again. If I'm right, Madrigal lost her memory of her former life. I could be totally off. I guess we'll need to read and see.

I do like your shell catch. Perhaps it is reincarnation or body swapping.

I have no idea.

message 41: by Sashana (last edited Dec 14, 2011 08:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana So I was daydreaming about Prague when Niquae told me that someone told her that Laini Taylor's description was inaccurate. Now, I'm not discrediting her because she is a native and I am not, but I wanted to see if I could find any reviews of the book done by someone from the Czech Republic. I couldn't :( but I did find some really great pictures. They might be of touristy areas (who knows) but it lives up to my vision. Now I can sleep peacefully ☺

description

description

description

message 42: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I did the same thing Sashana and look up pictures of Prague.

Sashana It's a new habit of mine, whenever a place is mentioned in a book I try to Google some pictures, especially if the place is outside of the U.S.

message 44: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Same here. You saw me post some with Juliet

message 45: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments What is supposedly inaccurate?

message 46: by Sashana (last edited Dec 14, 2011 08:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana #30: It just doesn't add up to me even though the author mentioned it. You would think he'd be able to feel it even when her hands were averted or enclosed (so much for being otherworldly). I mean, how thick is the skin on her palms?

#32: Great theory, Lisa. I would have never thought of the memory loss/baby thing. It's great to hear other people's opinions and theories because they are so far from mine. But I still think it's reincarnation lol. We shall see. Also, nice connection with Sky High. Never would have made it on my own.

#33: Here are a few of my theories (I'm just full of those) : The magic causes the angels pains and that is why they are fighting or the magic causes the chimaeras pain and that is why they were all knocked out when Karou went though the portal. Yeah, I know, far out lol

message 47: by Sashana (last edited Dec 14, 2011 08:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sashana Lisarenee wrote: "What is supposedly inaccurate?"

Check out Niquae's 'review' and read the comments. I would repost but it's a whole conversation.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Sashana Lisarenee wrote: "Same here. You saw me post some with Juliet"

I remember. Ever since you posted those pictures I've been Goggling my settings. You have unleashed a beast :)

message 49: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I looked at what Isa said, and I think it's be difficult to set an apartment somewhere in a country you've never been and get it right. i can see how that would bother someone who knows the area, however.

Jennifer Provost (parthalan) | 6 comments I've been to Prague, albeit a while ago. I can't really speak as to whether or not the descriptions are accurate but the "feel" of the city seemed spot on to me. Lots of history, brilliant architecture everywhere you look. I can totally imagine angels and chimeras battling in the streets.

« previous 1