Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Graveyard Book
This topic is about The Graveyard Book
Previous BOMs - Authors; E - H > Gaiman, Neil - The Graveyard Book - December PNR/UF BOM-Start Date December 21st 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 21, 2011 03:58PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Be prepared for Spoilers.
 The Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Goodreads Description
After the grisly murder of his entire family, a toddler wanders into a graveyard where the ghosts and other supernatural residents agree to raise him as one of their own.

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family . . .

Beloved master storyteller Neil Gaiman returns with a luminous new novel for the audience that embraced his New York Times bestselling modern classic Coraline. Magical, terrifying, and filled with breathtaking adventures, The Graveyard Book is sure to enthrall readers of all ages.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 27, 2011 01:11PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod

Date Chapters Pages PPDQs*
December 21 1 - 2 1 - 60 Rachel
December 22 3 - 4 61- 143 Rachel
December 23 5 - 6 144 - 210 Sashana
December 24 7 - 8 211 - 305 Vi

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★✩★

Discussion Questions

Chapter 1-2
1. First of all, do you beleive in ghosts? Why or why not? Have you ever had a ghostly encounter?
2. First impressions so far?
3. Who is Jack? Why did he kill Nobody and his family?
4. Quite a creepy beginning! What part is creepiest to you so far?
5. Why in the world would a baby crawl to a graveyard? Is there some underlying meaning that we don't know of yet?
6. So, can Nobody see all the ghosts? (I would assume so since he talks to them) Any theories why he can see them and Scarlett and others can't?
7. The ghosts gave Nobody Freedom of the Graveyard. Thoughts on what exactly this might entail?
8. Who in the world is Lady on the Grey? She must be pretty powerful to sway the graveyard's decision to keep Nobody.

Chapters 3-4
9. Where do you think Silas went?
10. Mrs. Lepescu is an interesting character. Why was she so mean and why can she only come during high summer? What is she?
11. I didn't know exactly what a ghoul was. It's wikipedia, but it helped. I thought it interesting that the ghouls' home was surrounded by desert and the definition of a ghoul was pretty much what they were in the book. http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoul
12. The antique-pawnshop-black market-untrustworthy shopowner guy was really interested in that gem. What do you think it does and why did the apparition say "It always comes back?" Has it been stolen a lot before?
13. I thought Bod's attempt at getting Liza a headstone was sweet and her trying to save him was too.
14. How do you think the shopowner (can't remember his name and my book is in the car!) knew Jack?
15. Jack lives with his GRANDMOTHER?! What? I thought that was a interesting fact to include...

Chapters 5-6
16. Silas acted like he didn't know that Bod danced with the Lady on the Grey and he was oddly sad about the whole thing. I feel like this was a pivotal moment but I don't know why. What did you think was the significance of the scene?
17. I think its great that Bod has a thirst for knowledge, especially at such a young age. But do you think it's wise for Silas to allow him to roam around outside of the graveyard after what just happened with school and knowing that the man who killed his parents (Jack) is still on the loose? How would you have handled the situation if you were Bod's guardian?
18. From what I can understand the people at school didn't remember Bod because of some magic, but why wasn't Mo and Nick affected? Will they be the ones to lead Jack to Bod?
19. Our boy is quite the humanitarian. What did you think of his efforts to stop the bullying at his school?
20. Am I the only one having trouble getting through this book? It's so hard for me to get through even a page.

Chapters 7-8
21. Well, quite a number of revelations in Chapter 22. A welcome return of Scarlett. Did you think you would be seeing her again? Also, was I the only one who found that Mr. Frost had too many coincidences going for him?
22. Wow, Bod is good. He's grown enough to be able to defend his home so cleverly. I thought the character growth was very well done - from a child to a clever, young almost-man. What do you think?
23. What is with that All Jacks-secret gang? The reason of the murders fell a little flat for me. I sort of expected more. Was the explanation sufficient for you?
24. Scarlett let me down. I kinda expected more but she wasn't upto it, I guess. But the reason Silas gave to Bod: “People want to forget the impossible. It makes their world safer.” was very good. Did it strike any chord in you?
25. Now that we've finished the book, what is overall opinion of the book? Was this your first Gaiman? Will you be picking another of his?

Midu Hadi | 2744 comments In!

message 4: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Got this book so here's to hoping this one is first :-)

message 5: by Sashana (last edited Dec 01, 2011 10:58AM) (new)

Sashana It's actually going to be last. Sorry :/

message 6: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I want to request this one but I've maxed out my library requests. I'm going to see which book I can eliminate to make room for this one.

willaful I have it an audio. Need to finish up the book I'm listening to right now.

message 8: by Sashana (new)

Sashana We'll probably start this one December 20th (I'm just estimating here) so you can take your time, Willaful.

message 9: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Sad day :-(

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Around the 20th sounds good. With 309 pages, starting on the 20th, that is approximately 30 pages a day. As far as chapter break down I don't know. I might run up to the library right now and get it. Anyways, gettingt o where I was going with this post... I was thinking if there was enough time we could take Christmas Day off from reading and posting?

message 11: by Sashana (new)

Sashana This isn't your month (BOM wise) at all, Jex.

Melissia Bruehl (melissiabruehl) | 0 comments I've got this one from the library! I'm in!

message 13: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments It's probably a good thing I'm not doing many BOMs. Finally have time to read other things on my list :-P

Beth (Beth~a~holic) (bethaholic) I'm in! This will be my first challenge since joining the group.

Jacalyn | 2 comments I just noticed this group was reading this... my new book club read this for October because the person that started it chose it...

So I've read it. And already tossed it up on paperback swap to get rid of it. Wish I could have sent it to one of you!

I'll be interested in what you far more well read than my book club people think of it.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Are you saying it was bad? I've heard good things and always wanted to read it. I hope it is good.

message 17: by Sashana (last edited Dec 17, 2011 10:37PM) (new)

Sashana A little pre-reading musing: Based on the blurb the book seems mature for children (it is a middle grade book, isn't it?). Also, I've flicked through the book and I love the illustrations.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments It is a middle grade book and I've heard that it is mature for some. Then again, Coraline to me was creepy and I am 24. Lol.

message 19: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I've never read or seen Coraline. Must get to it...

message 20: by Sashana (last edited Dec 21, 2011 02:09PM) (new)

Sashana Okay, Rachel (and anyone else reading with us), if we start this book on the 23rd it's going to run through Christmas so I think we should change the start date to the 19th (tomorrow). Any objections? Let me know what you guys think about the chapter break down, it's my first time doing it :)

Date Chapters Pages PPDQs*
December 21 1 - 2 1 - 60 Rachel
December 22 3 - 4 61- 143 Rachel
December 23 5 - 6 144 - 210 Sashana
December 24 7 - 8 211 - 305 Vi

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 21: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I put myself on the wish list at the library... let's see if I get it in time to join you.

message 22: by Sashana (new)

Sashana That'd be great, Lisa Kay. What # are you?

message 23: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Drat! I just checked; I'm 3 of 3. Doesn't look good.

message 24: by Sashana (new)

Sashana We'll let you know how it goes if you can't get it in time (I noticed you marked it as 'to-ponder'). There's always a next month :)

message 25: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments True!

message 26: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments I think I'll join in as well either from today or tomorrow. I do have the book.

message 27: by Sashana (new)

Sashana YAY! Awesome, Vi :)

message 28: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Just waiting on Rachel to get the green light. We might have to push this one back a day.

message 29: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Okie then. I just started today - one page or so I guess. I'll wait for the green signal before proceeding further.

message 30: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Vi wrote: "Okie then. I just started today - one page or so I guess. I'll wait for the green signal before proceeding further."

We're starting tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Sorry y'all for the delay! Tomorrow is Day 1!

Chapter break down looks good, Sashana. I will take tomorrow's questions. Will try to post them late tonight.

Depending on everyone else's schedules I can also take the 22. However, I have to work the 23 and 24 so I probably won't be able to post questions those days, but I can answer eventually...after 8PM.

willaful I've been listening to the audiom but also have the book, so I can join in on the questions.

message 33: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Sashana wrote: "We're starting tomorrow. Sorry for the delay."

It's ok, Sashana. No probs

message 34: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments I can do 23rd or 24th.. But I'm ahead of you all so the questions would probably be early and my answers late depending.

message 35: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Vi, you can take the 23rd and I'll take the 24th. How far ahead are you?

message 36: by Rachel (last edited Dec 21, 2011 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Questions for December 21

1.) First of all, do you beleive in ghosts? Why or why not? Have you ever had a ghostly encounter?

2.) First impressions so far?

3.) Who is Jack? Why did he kill Nobody and his family?

4.) Quite a creepy beginning! What part is creepiest to you so far?

5.)Why in the world would a baby crawl to a graveyard? Is there some underlying meaning that we don't know of yet?

6.) So, can Nobody see all the ghosts? (I would assume so since he talks to them) Any theories why he can see them and Scarlett and others can't?

7.) The ghosts gave Nobody Freedom of the Graveyard. Thoughts on what exactly this might entail?

8.) Who in the world is Lady on the Grey? She must be pretty powerful to sway the graveyard's decision to keep Nobody.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Answers for December 21

1.) First of all, do you beleive in ghosts? Why or why not? Have you ever had a ghostly encounter?

I do and always have. I don't know why seeing as how I have never seen one. I would like to one day as long as it is a nice one.

2.) First impressions so far?

I likeit and found it pretty creepy...especially the first part with Jack. I also liked the paragraphs where the point of view switched to second person. I though it was a cool touch.

3.) Who is Jack? Why did he kill Nobody and his family?

Jack is definitely something supernatural. What I don't know and my thoughts on why he was killing Nobody's family was because they probably got involved in something no humans were supposed to know about. That is usually the way it goes!

4.) Quite a creepy beginning! What part is creepiest to you so far?

The beginning of the book with Jack slinking through the house was creepy to me. Especially when he was sniffing out Nobody. That is creepy...

5.)Why in the world would a baby crawl to a graveyard? Is there some underlying meaning that we don't know of yet?

It said Nobody was one year old... he wouldn't even be able to understand anything. Unless someone was helping him mentally. Maybe the Lady on the Grey? She seemed pretty certain that he needed to stay.

6.) So, can Nobody see all the ghosts? (I would assume so since he talks to them) Any theories why he can see them and Scarlett and others can't?

I'm pretty sure he can and I assume it is like any other book where the person closely associated with the ghosts can see them and no one else can.

7.) The ghosts gave Nobody Freedom of the Graveyard. Thoughts on what exactly this might entail?

I think it encompasses a lot more than just being able to walk around and go where he pleases. I'mm sure there is some huge responsibility he will have later on.

8.) Who in the world is Lady on the Grey? She must be pretty powerful to sway the graveyard's decision to keep Nobody.

She was a mystery to me and really threw me for a loop. My theory is that Nobody's parent some how, some where found out about her and struck a deal. Maybe his parents knew they wouldn't live much longer?

message 38: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I'll answers these later tonight *ducks sheepishly* I kinda sorta haven't started reading yet.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Would anyone like tomorrow the 22? I have no problem doing them if everyone is busy. Just trying to give everyone a chance.

Sashana, can you update the chapter breakdown with you and Vi? Thanks. :)

message 40: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Rachel wrote: "Sashana, can you update the chapter breakdown with you and Vi? Thanks. :) "

I'll try. Let me do it right now.

message 41: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Done!

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments LOL! It's ok. I read last night and then fell asleep right afterwards. I must have been tired. Slept 12 hours! And it was nice... :)

Thanks for updating.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I like the acronym. :)

message 44: by Sashana (last edited Dec 21, 2011 02:19PM) (new)

Sashana I stole it from Lisa Kay lol

message 46: by Sashana (new)

Sashana You should start charging me :p

message 47: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Nah. It's Christmas! (view spoiler)

message 48: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Sashana wrote: "Vi, you can take the 23rd and I'll take the 24th. How far ahead are you?"

Not ahead at all.. I'm trying to follow the BR closely this time.

message 49: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 1421 comments OK, I gotta go work - 8:45 am here. I'll answer questions during lunch.

message 50: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Vi wrote: "OK, I gotta go work - 8:45 am here. I'll answer questions during lunch."

No problem. I'm still procrastinating so I'll be posting much later.

« previous 1