Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > What are you making/having for Thanksgiving Dinner (for those who celebrate)?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
Have you decided what you're making/eating for Thanksgiving?

We have the same general menu, but it doesn't get old. The usuals:

Turkey
Dressing (with nuts/fruit)
Waldorf Salad (my job)
Potato Salad
Homemade bread rolls
Some green vegetable
Macaroni and Cheese (my job)

I hope my mom will make her Sweet Potato Pie. It's so good.

message 2: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Roast Turkey
Dressing
Green Beans
Greens (callard or tunip) depends on what I can find
butter beans
rolls
cornbread(husband doesn't like dressing)
Macaroni and Cheese
potato salad
Carrot Cake
sweet potato pie

All prepared by me.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
Sounds yummy, AM. I hope it's not too much work for you!

message 4: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments I'll be exhausted. But it's worth it. This year I've even invited my mother, sisters, nieces and their kids over.

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

You better not be doing the cleanup!

message 6: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments We're using paper plates, cups and utensil. I trend to cleanup pots and pans as I cook.

I'll do all my baking the night before.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

It helps a lot to clean as you go. That's my style, because I hate having to clean up a dirty kitchen after doing a lot of cooking.

I took the day after Thanksgiving off just because it can be rough doing all that and having work the next day.

message 8: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments I'm taking off the whole week. I'm also helping out at church the day before, we're doing what we call Feed the Needy meal that involves other churches.

People can come get a meal, pick up clothes, and a get a haircut if they want.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That sounds really awesome, AM. These services are needed more than ever.
I am taking Wednesday off as well.

message 10: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Yes, they are.

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 128 comments Husband is from a family of 7, so we all bring various foodstuffs...the e-mails have been flying for weeks! I'll be making a peach pie, 2 pumpkin pies, and cranberry sauce (with maple syrup and walnuts). My daughter will make a vanilla bean cheesecake and brownies. Husband is making his signature stuffing, because his sister is supplying one turkey and his brother a second one.

My favorite wines to bring are nouveau beaujoulais (French wines that are bottled then shipped out every November, fresh tasting and fruity), and gewurtztraminer, a German white wine with a hint of sweetness, kind of like a Reisling, but better.

message 12: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) It's just me and my dad as usual. We're ordering a Thanksgiving dinner so I don't know yet what's gonna be in it except the turkey. LOL! I used to cook for the holidays but it took too much time to cook especially for just two people. We'd always have so much food left over. We don't go out of town to be with the family much anymore. Neither of us feel like it, LOL! I am the type where I don't wanna spend the night at folks' houses these days. If I went somewhere I wanna come right back. I'd rather be comfortable at home. LOL! I can relax and eat all I want in peace. Anyway, Thanksgiving and Christmas are just days to me. Since my mom passed they aren't nearly as special. At least I have my dad though and the best thing of course, FOOTBALL!

Happy Thanksgiving!

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Nov 22, 2011 07:09AM) (new)

I don't like traveling for Christmas or Thanksgiving either, Stacy.

It's a bit of a hassle, but I love a home cooked meal. There are four of us. I could totally see you buying a dinner if there are just two folks though.

message 14: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Yeah, Danielle. LOL! I am so darn lazy too. I don't wanna have to even get up and pack to go, especially if it's only for a few days. My dad is the same way. We'd rather just chill out at home and the good part is we have that good food and those desserts to ourselves. LOL! We don't have to worry about someone else eating up all the food. I have a large family on my dad and mom's side and no matter where you go to eat, those country folks fill up their plates and they don't care if you got some food or not! One time I was left with a biscuit only. ROFL! No, just kidding but in my family you better be there when they first start eating or you ain't getting none!

And don't dare just pop up unannounced at one of the gatherings expecting to eat, they turn you away in a minute. LOL!

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Wow! They do like their food, don't they? We always cook a lot of food, but we have a neighbor who is a real sweet guy. We make him a plate.

message 16: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Yep, well we're southerners. LOL! You're from Texas too right? You know the deal. LOL! Southerners eat!!!! Ha, ha!

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Nov 23, 2011 08:57AM) (new)

I am actually a Midwesterner by birth, but my family is Southern, more or less. But, yes, we like our food!

message 18: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
I'm probably going to have chinese food tomorrow. My family is celebrating Thanksgiving later on a day when we can all get together.

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

You can't go wrong with Chinese food. Yum!!

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara Neale (tara_neale) | 39 comments We might be half a world away from our American roots, but even in London we keep the traditions alive. My adult children and friends will be joining me this evening. I have been cooking since Tuesday and am almost done with...

Turkey
Ham
Stuffing (cornbread, sage and onion)
Dressing (sweet bread with apples, nuts and raisins)
Mashed potatoes
Sweet Potatoe Souffel
Green Bean Casserole
Baked Beans
Carrots, brocolli and zuccini
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie (3)
Apple Pie
Pecan Pie
Pink Stuff

Happy Thanksgiving one and all!

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

That sounds yummy, Tara! What is Pink Stuff?

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

My mom made pork loin and roast beast (beef), and we're having turkey. I love all three. Happy Camper here!

message 23: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "My mom made pork loin and roast beast (beef), and we're having turkey. I love all three. Happy Camper here!"

That sounds good to me!!!!

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Gonna have some good sandwiches!

message 25: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Gonna have some good sandwiches!"

That's the best! Post-Thanksgiving sandwiches, yummy!!! If you can have at least one made with some homemade bread......... now I'm getting jealous, LOL!

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I think my sister is making bread too!