Hawaii Book Blog discussion

Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pua (new)

Pua Hawaiʻi Book Blog (hawaiibookblog) | 5 comments Mod
I just realized we don't have a discussion thread where we can get to know one another. This can be that post!

Feel free to tell us who you are, where you're from, and what makes you interested in Hawaii books, or just reading in general; what your favorite Hawaii books are, etc. Also, let us know if you write books and plan on writing or have written about Hawaii!

I'll go first. I'm a website located at www.hawaiibookblog.com that reviews and discusses "local books, local authors, and any kine reads."

message 2: by Lehua (new)

Lehua Parker (lehuaparker) | 4 comments Aloha! I'm Lehua Parker, originally from Hawaii and a Kamehameha Schools graduate. My debut novel One Boy, No Water, is being published by Jolly Fish Press on Sept. 22, 2012. It's the first in my Niuhi Shark series for middle grade readers and is set in Hawaii with some dialogue in pidgin. I'm excited to get to know all of you and read more Hawaii-centric fiction.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex (redunk) | 7 comments Mod
Hi Lehua! Thanks for participating and congrats on your debut novel being published! How exciting, we look forward to reading it.

I should probably introduce myself as well. My name is Alex and I am one of the writers/editors behind Hawaiʻi Book Blog. I live and grew up in "Honolulu" though I really don't consider myself a townie.

I've read local books before, but since joining HBB full-time they've become a passion of mine. My goal is to read as much local fiction and non-fiction as possible and get them reviewed to raise awareness for all our great books.

I love non-fiction (including academic books), but I do enjoy a good fiction story and more recently have been turned on to short story collections.

message 4: by T (new)

T (tcarden) | 11 comments Aloha mai kakou! My name is Tina, born and raised in Wai'anae, and currently living in Salt Lake City, UT. An avid reader, I love to read most anything except horror, but as a Native Hawaiian cultural educator I am most passionate about publications that deal specifically with Native Hawaiians and/or Hawai'i, especially publications such as 'Oiwi, Hulili, Ho`oulu (by Manulani Meyer) and the like.
I follow HBB on FB, so mahalo nunui for keeping everyone apprised of new releases!! YAY!

message 5: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 1 comments Aloha! I was glad to see a group dedicated to Hawaiian literature. Being an aspiring writer for this genre in the young adult market, I'm hoping to gather a recommended reading list as part of my research on what's currently available. Oh, my name, by the way, is Sherri. I live in Oregon but I'm a Hawaiian Nationalist at heart; my father was born and raised in Kauai.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hanan | 7 comments Aloha everyone! My name is Laurie Hanan. I grew up on the windward side of Oahu and now live in Kapolei. I've loved reading mysteries my whole life, especially those that take place in Hawaii. They say to write what you know and what you love. After retiring from the postal service in 2006, I started writing a series of Hawaii-based mystery stories. My debut novel, entitled Almost Paradise, was published by Savant books in September 2011. Now the second in the series is about to be released. My stories take place on the island of Oahu, with an unusual protagonist: a mail carrier who can't seem to mind her own business. Her curiosity and desire to help the people on her route get her into more than a bit of hot water.

message 7: by T (new)

T (tcarden) | 11 comments Laurie wrote: "Aloha everyone! My name is Laurie Hanan. I grew up on the windward side of Oahu and now live in Kapolei. I've loved reading mysteries my whole life, especially those that take place in Hawaii. They..."Aloha mai e Laurie! Sounds so interesting! I'll search for the first book on Amazon!

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex (redunk) | 7 comments Mod
Thanks for the introductions Tina, Sherri, and Laurie!

@Tina: Welcome! We notice there's lots of book bloggers in Utah! Glad to hear you are spreading the culture abroad.

@Sherri: Hi Sherri! Feel free to browse our list of books here or on Hawaii Book Blog. I'm sure if you ask people will provide you with some great recommendations. Good luck with your writing!

@Laurie: We have your book in our queue to read. Looking forward to it!

message 9: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hanan | 7 comments Good to know you received my book and have it in your queue. I now have a second book out, the second in the series. If you like the first I'll send you the second one too.

message 10: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments My name is AJ Llewellyn and I write gay erotic romances mostly set in Hawaii. I have had over 100 books published. I am a kama'aina at heart and spend half my year in Oahu, the other half in LA. I live and breathe Hawaiian books and music!
I made my first trip to Hawaii when I was ten and stayed at the Princess Kaiulani Hotel. I have been obsessed with her ever since. I have collected about two thousand Hawaiian books. I'd like to post a bibilography here on the group of some of my books - and the ones I recommend. Does anyone object if I do?
Thanks! It's so nice to be here!

message 11: by Pua (new)

Hi A.J., great to meet you! We would love to view your bibliography and your book recommendations...that's why we're here!

We envy your two thousand Hawaii books!!!

message 12: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments LOL thank you Pua!!! They are like my children!

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Rz | 2 comments Aloha! I'm a hauli girl married to a Lana'i boy, living in southern California. I dance with a traditional hula halau, Ka Mele Wai O Ke 'Anuenue (7 yrs), and pursue independent study of the language and culture. I've loved reading since I was first introduced to books, and historical novels are my favorite. I'm excited to be part of the Hawaii book blog. A hui hou! Sherry R.

message 14: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (mayaswords) Aloha,
I live in Makaha Oahu Hawaii for 35 years and last year my memoir was published "From Agoraphobia to Zen" which takes me from my Brooklyn NYC housing project to Hawaii in search of healing from anxiety and abuse. My book is in the library in Hawaii and I have talks on Utube. I have also been a teacher at Stevenson Middle School and worked with homeless and mentally ill women. I have a blog on Wordpress too. If anyone wants information on writing memoir or wants to start a group (free) let me know. I love to read mysteries and memoirs Me ke aloha Marilyn Maya

message 15: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments I your book available for purchase online, Marilyn? I'd love to buy a copy.

message 16: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments Marilyn I was just in Hawaii in April. We went to Makaha and Waianae...I was so sad to see so many families in Makaha living on the beach...

message 17: by Toby (new)

Toby Neal (tobyneal) | 6 comments Aloha! My name is Toby Neal & I'm a writer and therapist from Maui. I write mystery suspense with a local girl detective (Lei Texeira) who travels to different islands solving crimes. I blog on living a creative life in Hawaii at www.tobyneal.net. Check out Blood Orchids, my debut novel for fast twisty plot with local-kine flavor.

message 18: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (mayaswords) Aloha again,
My memoir has Hawaiian words and ends with a local older man speaking pigeon to me. My book is in the Hawaii Public library as well as Amazon and other book sellers. "From Agoraphobis to Zen" uncovering the core of my anxiety and reclaiming my life Mahalo

message 19: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments Aloha Toby! Going over to check out your book now. You too, Marilyn!

message 20: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments Toby, reading your blog now. Amazing!

message 21: by T (new)

T (tcarden) | 11 comments Toby wrote: "Aloha! My name is Toby Neal & I'm a writer and therapist from Maui. I write mystery suspense with a local girl detective (Lei Texeira) who travels to different islands solving crimes. I blog on liv..." I finished your book and I LOVED IT! As a Native Hawaiian cultural educator, I'm normally a pretty tough sell when it comes to how Native Hawaiian culture and our people are portrayed in books, movies, etc. But I really enjoyed this book. I loved the 'ohana dynamic between Lei, her father and her aunt. I loved the expanded role of her partner Pono, which would be completely normal and expected for Hawaiians, even to the seemingly non existent barriers between neighbors, which serve to uplift and strengthen as much as they can sometimes frustrate as well. I'm absolutely looking forward to reading more. Ua ho'ole'ale'a au i keia puke, a pihoihoi loa au e heluhelu i ka puke a'e!

message 22: by Toby (new)

Toby Neal (tobyneal) | 6 comments Awesome!!! AJ, Tina...thanks so much. TORCH GINGER, the sequel, where Lei goes to Kauai and uncovers a new mystery, will be out in a month or two. Great to meet all of you Hawaii kine folks!

message 23: by Violetta (new)

Violetta Vane (violettavane) Aloha! My cowriter and I have written a gay paranormal romance based on Hawaiian mythology called Hawaiian Gothic. It just came out today from Loose Id Publishing.

Ori and Kalani were childhood friends too afraid to be lovers. Now in their darkest hour—Ori disgraced and Kalani a wandering spirit—they’ll fight the world and death itself for a second chance.

The link has a long excerpt, if you're interested.

I'm not from Hawaii but my father lives in Hilo and I have a lot of love for there :-) Our heroes are from Nanakuli, but Hilo makes a short appearance in the story.

message 24: by A.J. (last edited Jun 12, 2012 08:16AM) (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments Congratulations on your new release Violetta and Heidi! I'm an erotic romance author too and most of my books are set in Hawaii! I divide my time between Makiki Heights (Oahu) and Los Angeles. Planning to move full time to Oahu next year. Just checked your link and your book looks great!
I wrote a book with a similar theme about a boxer in a coma (!!) but my character goes to Hawaii and finds redemption there. "Xu" was released two years ago by Amber Allure and it's still one of my favorite books.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/91...
Going to snap up your story now!

message 25: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments Just bought your book Violetta. We share the same cover artist! LOL

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Belleau (heidibelleau) | 2 comments Thanks AJ! We'll have to pick up your book too. How funny how sometimes there are similar themes and concepts between books. And to share cover artists too!

message 27: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments I know. I am reading your book and loving it!

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Belleau (heidibelleau) | 2 comments Aw yay, thank you! That means a lot :D

message 29: by Pua (new)

Thanks to everyone who has commented! Welcome!

message 30: by M.K. (new)

M.K. Ka'ana'ana (princessmk) | 5 comments Aloha All ♥

So cool to see a nice Hawaii thread here. I'm a local girl, Kamehameha 1993 and just finished my first novel, its like Clash of the Titans or The Odyssey but set in ancient Hawaii and starring 2 beautiful young women.

I'm giving away 3 free copies in the giveaway going on now...thanks to all who enter!

Any feedback very appreciated. Best Wishes and Aloha to everyone. ♥

“Huna Magic” is an exotic, suspenseful, myth and magic infused story, of love lost and found, of quests and quandaries, of epic danger and life changing epiphany, of supernatural horror and delight.

In ancient Hawai‘i, a lovely, high-spirited young woman, Ku’ulei-ke-Ānuenue (Ku’ulei of the Rainbow), a talented surfer/hula dancer/sorcery student, is sentenced to death, after meeting an irresistible young man, a chiefess' love slave, and falling into love at first sight.

Her best friend, Mahina, a sorcery student who is catnip to men, springs Ku'ulei from jail, and the fugitives set off with a mysterious dog in search of absolution at a Place of Refuge. They face a fantastical odyssey across rainbows, through the Underworld and against lizard demons, with aid from the Goddesses and Gods of ancient Hawaii.

Huna Magic Huna Magic by Dawn Star

message 31: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments Hi Dawn your book sounds great! I just entered your contest! Thank you for the opportunity.

message 32: by T (new)

T (tcarden) | 11 comments Ke welina mai nei e Dawn, looking forward to reading it! Am especially intrigued with the 'mysterious dog'....a manifestation of Ku perhaps? :)

message 33: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments I was thinking the dog has to be Pele's companion actually...

message 34: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (gizmo_lilo) Ahoha everyone. My name's Alissa, and it's good to meet you all. I'm not a resident of Hawaii, as are many of you, but my husband and I were married there (on Oahu) this past summer and I fell in love with the place--with how warm the people are, with how beautiful the land is, with how rich the culture is, with everything. It was a wonderful and life changing experience for me. I'm interested in reading more about Hawaii and Hawaiian culture--or even fictonal books set in Hawaii. I would love any recommendations! Mahalo :)

message 35: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Llewellyn (ajllewellyn) | 14 comments Aloha Alissa, I don't live there either, but I visit twice a year. I have over 150 published books, many of them set in Hawaii. They are gay erotic romances but filled with Hawaiian culture - the Kahuna, hula etc. if that is not too much for your tastes, please check out my website: www.ajllewellyn.com and if something appeals to you I'd be happy to send you a free book!

AJ

message 36: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hanan | 7 comments Hi Alissa, I've written a set of 3 mysteries that take place on Oahu. I was born and raised here but my main character is a mainlander who moved to the islands as an adult.http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_...

Other series I've enjoyed are by Deborah Atkinson (Storm Kayama series), by Douglas Corleone (Kevin Corvelli series) by Toby Neal (Lei crime series, by JoAnn Bassett (Islands of Aloha mystery series, and by Chip Hughes (surfing detective series). HONOLULU by John Brennert is good for some history of the city.

Aloha!

message 37: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (gizmo_lilo) Thank you for the suggestions Laurie and AJ. I'll check them out :)

message 38: by Brian (last edited Feb 14, 2013 01:34PM) (new)

Brian Reeves | 1 comments Aloha everyone,

My name is Brian Reeves, former resident now living in Portland. My novel, A Chant of Love and Lamentation, was reviewed last year in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser by Misty-Lynn Sanico of hawaiireads.com. It was also a Finalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award last year. It's a pretty political book, about three characters involved a push for secession that follows after a hotel bombing and the subsequent economic downward spiral.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

I'm here to get more familiar with Goodreads and to meet some fellow authors of fiction set in Hawai'i. I'm going to look into some of the suggestions in this thread!

message 39: by Alvin (new)

Alvin Koo | 3 comments Aloha,
My name is Alvin Koo and I am an alcoholic. No, no, I mean I am a writer. It's great we have a blog for Hawaii books. My 5 books are on Amazon.com. My big book is being carried in serial form at Goodreads. It is a story now and I will change it to a book later. It's called Hawaii: Beyond Dreams -- about the last great voyage of the Hawaiians.

I am one of the simple kind of people... I used to be complex... but now my favorite authors are Louie Amour, Larry McMurtray and John Griffin. I also like Robert Parker, Mike McConnelly, and Sue Grafton. And I think the ultimate book about Hawaii is still James Michener's version. So, if you think like me, check it out.

message 40: by Hermann (new)

Hermann Schachtschneider | 4 comments Aloha Book Blog -

First time author Hermann Schachtschneider here. My eBook is on 99 cent promotion this month at amazon.

Details: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...

Would LOVE to have your feedback if you decide to read it.

Sarah's Kine Justice A Story of Modern Hawaii by Hermann Schachtschneider

message 41: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Hutchins | 1 comments Aloha mai kākou!

My name is Brooke Leilani, and I'm excited to be a part of this group! Very cool that there is a Hawai'i Book Blog, and the discussion of Hawaiian fiction. To my knowledge, there aren't many out there so it'll be nice to hear/see what's new and what others think of it!
I am currently a Hawaiian Studies lecturer at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. I graduated from there as well with my love being Hawaiian Akua.
Ummmmm . . . I don't read too much Hawaiian fiction. I do read stories/myths/histories from the Hawaiian language newspapers as well as those in english. Love, love, love our great epics. Should read more of them. I have read historical/academic readings by Kānaka Maoli while going through school. I should read more of them too. I also love YA novels!:-)
I do teach, but what I really love to do is write! I write a story series blog at my website, www.brookehutchins.com with a new episode or installment every Wednesday. I wanted to fashion it after the Hawaiian language newspapers where they used to publish parts of the great epics monthly/bi-monthly or what have you. Check it out if you like! Keeps me sane and my imagination going.
Currently, my tag line for the story blog is: A boy is given life and cared for by two Hawaiian Gods only to find that his life is going to be anything but simple. With a heavy responsibility and an old threat moving in, will he be able to rise to his birth right or is he going to fall under its weight?
Still working on it! Anyways . . . Glad to be here!:-)
Brooke

message 42: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Presley | 2 comments Hello!

My name is Lydia and I run a book review blog at http://thelostentwife.net. I came across this group through the Hawaii Book Blog after I found the review of Written in the Sky. I just recently read This is Paradise as well and love learning about the history of Hawaii.

I live in Waipahu, O'ahu - just moved here last May and am planning to go to UH-Manoa next year to pursue my M.A. in English. I've always wanted to study folklore in literature and am passionate about Native American literature, so Hawaiian literature appeals as well to me since it bears many similarities (as evidenced in Written in the Sky).

Recommend away! I love reading and reviewing. I do not read/review erotica/romance though, unfortunately. So sorry =( but I welcome recommendations of everything else!

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaydee777) | 1 comments Lydia wrote: "Hello!

My name is Lydia and I run a book review blog at http://thelostentwife.net. I came across this group through the Hawaii Book Blog after I found the review of Written in the Sky. I just r..."

Aloha Lydia: Have you read anything by Kirby Wright? I have just finished his Molokai Nui Ahina. Punahou brothers Bobby and Jeff are sent to spend summers with their grandmother on Molokai every year. A wonderful evocation of contemporary Hawaii. Great dialogue, a young male coming of age story and so much more. I had things to do but couldnʻt put this book down.

message 44: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Presley | 2 comments Kate wrote: "Lydia wrote: "Hello!

My name is Lydia and I run a book review blog at http://thelostentwife.net. I came across this group through the Hawaii Book Blog after I found the review of Written in the ..."

That sounds fantastic - I will check it out. I picked up a collection of short ghost stories my last trip to the library.

message 45: by Alvin (new)

Alvin Koo | 3 comments Since you like Hawaiian history, you may like my book, Hawaii: Beyond Dreams, about the last voyage of the Hawaiians in 1815 when the people were dying like flies, from introduced diseases like the common cold, syphlis, measles, cholera, dysntery, a little village in Molokai decides to steal a war canoe and voyage off where the death does not lie.

message 46: by Toby (new)

Toby Neal (tobyneal) | 6 comments Pua wrote: "I just realized we don't have a discussion thread where we can get to know one another. This can be that post!

Feel free to tell us who you are, where you're from, and what makes you interested i..."

Hi Lydia (and other HBB lovers!) I'm Toby Neal from Maui and I have a line of bestselling mysteries, the Lei Crime Series. But I'm really excited about my newest book, a suspense set in Haleakala called Unsound. Here's the blurb: Dr. Caprice Wilson, police psychologist, has spent her life unraveling the mysteries of the human mind—only to find herself in a deep crisis. Caprice prescribes herself a walkabout and goes hiking on Maui—but the solitary retreat she has in mind does not go as planned. Caprice faces an enemy she never knew she had and wrestles with questions of hope, identity, loss, and the nature of psychopathy in a cat-and-mouse game with survival at stake.
**CONTAINS BONUS CONTENT PHOTO SCENES FROM SETTINGS IN THE BOOK** (my husband is a professional photographer and we put scenery from book locations in) Aloha!

message 47: by Doreen (new)

Doreen | 1 comments Hi, I'm new to the group and excited to be part of this online community. I grew up on Oahu but moved to California as a young adult, got married and raised a family here. I'm building up the courage to get my biography out but my family in Hawaii may not be too happy about what I've written about them ... Anyone else out there facing the same dilemma? Changing names or altering circumstances still make them recognizable...

message 48: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Maya (mayaswords) Doreen wrote: "Hi, I'm new to the group and excited to be part of this online community. I grew up on Oahu but moved to California as a young adult, got married and raised a family here. I'm building up the coura..."

Hi Doreen,
I wrote my memoir in 2011 and only recently have had fall out from a family member. My children refuse to read it; said they lived it but my half sister didn't like what I wrote about her mother. I changed her mother's name. My advice. If it's the truth and you can handle any critical comments, write it. I wrote my memoir for healing and it worked Aloha. ps, I'm in Hawaii too

message 49: by R. (new)

R. Flowers (authorrbarriflowers) | 6 comments Aloha! I'm R. Barri Flowers, bestselling author with several Hawaii based thrillers, including MURDER IN MAUI, MURDER IN HONOLULU, and SEDUCED TO KILL IN KAUAI.

You probably guessed by now that I love the islands, dividing my time between there and the mainland.

All my titles are in print, eBook, and audio.

Mahalo!

Barri