SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > Calibre

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 163 comments Does anyone use it to organise their ebooks? Because I do and I just farked it all up and need some help.

Clever me thought I'd backup my ebooks onto disc and deleted the files from my laptop, including the calibre library file. How do I fix it?

message 2: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 126 comments How did it mess up?

message 3: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 163 comments I opened Calibre this morning to transfer a few new books onto my kindle and there are no books on calibre. Just what's on my kindle.

message 4: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 126 comments When you copied the files to disc, I assume you copied the whole Calibre Library folder.

If so, if you copy the folder back to the same location you had it and reopen Calibre, it should all appear again.

message 5: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments I did that once by mistake but it left everything in my Recycle Bin thankfully. All I had to do was Restore the Calibre file and it was ok

message 6: by Claudine (last edited Nov 18, 2011 01:18AM) (new)

Claudine | 163 comments I deleted the calibre library file and out of my recycle bin too like a total dork. If I make a new one sort of in the same location will it work?

ETA : I couldn't copy the entire file over onto one disc so I split it all up.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith That might work, since Naz was able to just restore her calibre folder. It's worth a shot.

message 8: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 126 comments Click the Calibre icon in the toolbar and go to "Library Maintenance". Then try "Restore Database." It should scan the folder and rebuild the database.

message 9: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 163 comments Thanks Mohammed. I will do that. If it doesn't work, I suppose the only other thing to do would be to reload all the books?

message 10: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 126 comments As long as you left the files and folders in the Calibre Library as they were, it should work fine.

You might get a few books that don't have the right metadata but that is easy to fix with a online lookup.

message 11: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 163 comments Ok that seems to have worked. Next question - I want to back up my books onto disc, taking too much space on my laptop. How do I do that without destroying my library folder again?

message 12: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 126 comments If you have an external hard drive or flash disk you could move or split the library and just work from there.

You won't be able to use the library from a disc but you should still keep a backup there.

I have mine split into 3, books to read, read books and PDFs and books to be converted. I have them all on the same drive for now but plan to move the read books sometime.

message 13: by Claudine (last edited Nov 18, 2011 08:50AM) (new)

Claudine | 163 comments Damn, thought working from a disc would work. So only external hard drive or flash disk will work? I really need to free up space on my laptop!

Another question - where is the metadata for the book stored? In the actual ebook file (mobi, epub etc) or elsewhere?

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kathldk) | 141 comments The metadata is usually stored in the folder that contains the book, as an .opf file, as far as I can tell. It's usually called metadata.opf.

Another thing you could do if your library isn't very big is put it all in dropbox, and make Calibre see that dropbox folder as a library - and that way you can access it from any computer, and share it over several computers if you want.

message 15: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 126 comments As Katherine said, the metadata is stored in the metadata.opf in each book folder but also in the metadata.db file in the main library folder. Calibre uses the db file to work faster.

I think you could access the library from disc, but you won't be able to make any changes to the files or data. Try adding your disc as a new library and see if calibre accepts it.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarahsetar) | 47 comments Hello everyone! I couldn't find a relevant discussion topic for my question, so I just decided to post this up here. I've got a thesis due soon and my research partner and I are wondering if there's a free anti-plagiarism software available that anyone would know of. The university has made an online anti-plagiarism service available to us, but the lecturers needed to set it up so that we could use it but no one has done that ass yet. So, I was wondering if anyone would know of any good anti-plagiarism software out there. I'd really appreciate any help I can get!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarahsetar) | 47 comments I just got my Kindle and have a ton of books and other documents (some in pdf format and others in epub format) which I'd like to convert to .mobi format for my Kindle. I've downloaded Calibre on 4 separate occasions and I was unable to Run and Install the programme each time. I'm not sure why this is happening. I use a Dell laptop, Windows 7 operating system and Google Chrome browser. I could really use some help!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarahsetar) | 47 comments Oh! And the message that pops up on the screen each time I try to Run the programme states that I cannot run it because it's invalid. Hope someone can help!

message 19: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 163 comments I had issues running calibre on Google Chrome. Go back to either Firefox or IE and try it then. Else contact the Calibre site.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarahsetar) | 47 comments Okay, will do that right now. Thanks, Claudine:)

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarahsetar) | 47 comments I opened it in Internet Explorer and was really excited to see that it had downloaded and I could Run it, but then I got a message stating that the publisher could not be verified and asking if I was sure I still wanted to Run it. I clicked "Run" and got this message: "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

So now I'm thinking I should contact the people at Calibre website or post on their forum and, hopefully, I'll find a way to make Calibre work on my PC.

Thanks so much for your help, Claudine:)

message 22: by Claudia (last edited Dec 03, 2011 06:58AM) (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Sarah, the Calibre download almost never finishes completely if you download it without a download manager. It gives those exact errors when it's incomplete. Try something like Free Download Manager - after that it should install perfectly. :)