What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Two Sisters Sent To Girls Foster Home And Get Bullied

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 2 comments I read it forever ago, and from what i can remember, it's about two young sisters being taken away by CPS because the police went to their house and it was unlivable (i want to say the cops showed up and the kids were abandoned eating dog food, possibly naked) and they were sent to either a woman's home/foster care/adoption house, where all the other girls are mean to them, later cutting off the younger sister's hair. the older sister wants to beat the girls up, but she doesn't.

i can't remember much else! i don't even know how it ends.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 32 comments You might be thinking of the true story of Sylvia Likens, which has been fictionalized in several books, including By Sanction of the Victim. The girl and her younger sister are left with a stranger while their mother and stepfather travel related to work. There are two dogs in the story, and I think the main character eats dog food at one point because she is starving. It's a sad and miserable story.

message 3: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 2 comments Noooo that's not it. But thanks for responding! I don't think it was a true story.....

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 32 comments I guess I should have added that the main character is abused by the other children living in the house, particularly the other girls. Since the true story was made into several different fictionalized stories, you might try looking for at all the versions of Sylvia Likens' story. Some of the titles are:
By Sanction of the Victim
The Basement: Meditations on a Human Sacrifice
Let's Go Play at the Adams'
The Girl Next Door

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
Kristin, are you still looking for this book?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
No response, moving to Abandoned.