Around the World discussion

closed topics > Half of a Yellow Sun (Nigeria) group read

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I see there are about half a dozen of us reading Half of a Yellow Sun. How about a group read in February?

message 2: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter I enjoyed reading this novel so much :) great choice !

message 3: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments i've wanted to read this for a long time...i'm in!

message 4: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn Me too!

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Great, it's a plan! I'll see if Jenny will add it to the master list for February.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1297 comments Mod
Starting Feb 1 I imagine?

I'm looking forward to this one, and already have it on my shelf. (I'm actually breaking one of my rules for it, because I read The Thing Around Your Neck this year, which means I've read the author before, hehe).

message 7: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn Awesome! I've got it as an audiobook, hopefully it's nicely read and a good experience.

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia (jujulia) | 28 comments I'll try to participate as well - it's been on my TBR for a long time, so it'd be a great opportunity...

message 9: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 182 comments I might join this as well.

message 10: by Parsa (new)

Parsa | 101 comments I read this book, last yr I think. Its a good book. Hope you guys have fun :)

message 11: by KayG (new)

KayG | 5 comments I'd like to read this with the group as well.

message 12: by Chel (new)

Chel | 186 comments I'm in for February!

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 130 comments I might be in not sure though it all depends when I get the book from the library :)

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 49 comments Count me in too!

message 15: by Christie (new)

Christie | 15 comments I'll be reading this too, so I would love to join this group!

message 16: by Chel (new)

Chel | 186 comments I can't wait to start!

message 17: by Maude (new)

Maude | 34 comments Add me in, too, please. Thanks!

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shiari) | 132 comments I'm in as well! Looking forward the the discussion. Do we start on the 1st?

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 130 comments I'm in! I'll probably pick up my copy of it tomorrow since my library branch has it :) I can't wait to start reading it with everyone.

message 20: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 253 comments I'm all set, the book is on the shelf. :)

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shiari) | 132 comments "illogically pretty" I keep running those words through my head. What does it mean?! What a curious expression.

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 130 comments I picked this one up today and hope to start it tomorrow (maybe).

message 23: by Muphyn (last edited Feb 05, 2012 01:11PM) (new)

Muphyn Oops, I think I missed that this was going to be a February read - luckily it's only Feb 3 now! :D It's a whole month read, not just a week one, yeah?

message 24: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 04, 2012 10:18PM) (new)

Stephanie | 42 comments Just started this one last night and I am only about 50 pages in but I am already loving it.

message 25: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments Muphyn wrote: "Oops, I think I missed that this was going to be a February read - luckily it's on Feb 3 now! :D It's a whole month read, not just a week one, yeah?"

Oh gosh me too. I better go find it. Oh man i'm a champion at overextending my reading life!

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 42 comments Marieke wrote: "Muphyn wrote: "Oops, I think I missed that this was going to be a February read - luckily it's on Feb 3 now! :D It's a whole month read, not just a week one, yeah?"

Oh gosh me too. I better go fin..."

ME TOO!

message 27: by Friederike (new)

Friederike Knabe (fknabe) | 117 comments I read this quite a while ago, but it stays in my mind. A great read. Looking forward to reactions here. I reviewed it on amazon. and will check whether i posted the review here too.

message 28: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shiari) | 132 comments I just finished this last night and just loved it. I'm still digesting but will write a review shortly. I do hope this discussion takes off because I would love to hear what others thought of it. For me, it was a poignant celebration of a county that existed for only a blink in time, but within that blink, so many people experienced so much. Who has not heard of Biafra? It's short life was certainly complex, and I thought this book did a good job of capturing that through the various characters and stories.

message 29: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments Sharon wrote: "I just finished this last night and just loved it. I'm still digesting but will write a review shortly. I do hope this discussion takes off because I would love to hear what others thought of it. F..."

i'm jealous! :D

i just put a hold on it at my library and am waiting for it to arrive at my branch. I know a tiny bit about Biafra, but i'm more familiar with the history and peoples of Northern Nigeria. Learning about Biafra and those dynamics is something i've been meaning to do for quite some time. i'm also excited for this discussion!

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue Sharon wrote: "I just finished this last night and just loved it. I'm still digesting but will write a review shortly. I do hope this discussion takes off because I would love to hear what others thought of it. F..."

Reading your comment makes me wish I could join in right now but I'm in the middle of several books right now. I'll definitely plan to read this now.

message 31: by Friederike (last edited Feb 11, 2012 03:20AM) (new)

Friederike Knabe (fknabe) | 117 comments Has anybody heard Chimamanda Adichie's lecture/talk "The danger of a single story"?

It is brilliant and adds additional depth to her fiction like Half of a Yellow Sun. It was a TED talk and is also on YouTube. Just google her name and it comes up pretty quick.

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shiari) | 132 comments Friederike wrote: "Has anybody heard Chimamanda Adichie's lecture/talk "The danger of a single story"?

It is brilliant and adds additional depth to her fiction like Half of a Yellow Sun. It was a TED talk and is al..."

Thanks for pointing us to this talk, Friederike. I was intrigued while listening because one of the aspects of her book that I appreciated was how she was able to capture a variety of voices and perspectives in one book - especially in her depiction of the Biafran government which is at once naive, idealistic, well-intentioned, and corrupt. And she presents us with all that without imposing her own bias.

message 33: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments i love that talk! i'll have to rewatch it after reading the book, which i get to pick up from the library today!

message 34: by Friederike (new)

Friederike Knabe (fknabe) | 117 comments Great that you are getting the book today! Better make the time to delve into it... it IS captivating.

Yes, I love that talk. I listen to it from time to time to remind me.

message 35: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments Friederike wrote: "Great that you are getting the book today! Better make the time to delve into it... it IS captivating.

Yes, I love that talk. I listen to it from time to time to remind me."

Yeah here is my problem:Agaat, Samarkand, a book about Guinea-Bissau, and I think I'm forgetting something. But I guess Agaat is something I can take frequent breaks from. Anyway, I'm super excited about half a yellow sun.

message 36: by Christie (new)

Christie | 15 comments It's March 5, and I haven't finished yet- anyone else not done?

message 37: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments i finished.... sorry... :/

message 38: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 5 comments I'm about 1/3 of the way through. Loving it!

message 39: by Friederike (new)

Friederike Knabe (fknabe) | 117 comments Marieke wrote: "i finished.... sorry... :/"

And? A first one sentence reaction?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, you wore me down and I've just started it.

message 41: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 209 comments Osho wrote: "Okay, you wore me down and I've just started it."

yay!

Friederike: i loved it. i especially love Ugwu.

message 42: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn I'm about 1/2 way through. Listening to the audiobook, it's really well read (yay!)...

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, the audiobook reader is wonderful.

message 44: by Christie (new)

Christie | 15 comments I have finished. This was an incredible book! I am going to post a link to my blog for this project here, as it has my review of Half of a Yellow Sun- a bit long to post here. Link--> http://circleofbooks.blogspot.com/
This book was really really good- graphic, but memorable. I do believe that it is currently standing as my favorite book thus far of this challenge. Considering how terribly behind I am, that may not be saying much, but this is definitely one to get your hands on!

message 45: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn Don't worry, Christie, about being behind... I am still to finish it, two more CDs to go! :D