The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 10.9 - Earth Signs

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10913 comments Mod
10.9 Earth Signs: Read an author who was born under an Earth sign. For the purposes of this task, we will use the following dates: Capricorn (December 22 - January 19), Taurus (April 20 - May 20), or Virgo (August 23 - September 22). Required: Provide the author's birthdate when posting. If Goodreads does not list the author's birthdate, you must provide a link to that information for verification in order to get credit for this task. These websites might help: Author Birthday, Famous Author's Birthdays

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 17, 2011 07:08PM) (new)

I'm going sailing this weekend. Instead of making everyone wait until Monday to see the 10 pointers, the other moderators and I decided to give you a sneak peek of the 5/10/15 pointers instead. The 5 pointers and 15 pointers will make their appearance, as scheduled, on Saturday. In the meantime, have some fun planning your Winter 10 pointers! If you have questions about this task feel free to ask about it here, but it may be Monday before you get an answer.

message 3: by Mabeelle (new)

Mabeelle | 99 comments I was quite surprised that so many authors on my tbr shelf shared the same birthday (01/01).
But then started wondering there might be a problem. My guess is that when someone submits an author's birth year, the website will automatically add January 1st to have a full birth date.

I might be wrong but just in case be careful when Goodreads states January 1st as their birthday.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15858 comments Mod
Mabeelle wrote: "I was quite surprised that so many authors on my tbr shelf shared the same birthday (01/01).
But then started wondering there might be a problem. My guess is that when someone submits an author's ..."

I believe that you are correct that January 1 is a default date.

message 5: by chucklesthescot (last edited Nov 18, 2011 06:28AM) (new)

chucklesthescot Oh great, there go all my options so far. I've just spent an hour going through ten pages of my tbr and now I can't use them. How are we to tell what is a genuine birth date for January 1st and what is default?

message 6: by Sandy (last edited Nov 18, 2011 06:45AM) (new)

Sandy | 15858 comments Mod
chucklesthescot wrote: "Oh great, there go all my options so far. I've just spent an hour going through ten pages of my tbr and now I can't use them. How are we to tell what is a genuine birth date for January 1st and wha..."

Have you looked at either of the lists provided in the task description? I looked at the first list, and it's very easy to pull up the relevant months and take a look at who's listed in the appropriate date range - I found lots and lots of options.

I'm sure Kristi will give a definitive answer on this when she gets back on Monday.

chucklesthescot These lists are great for readers who like crime, classics and general fiction but for urban fantasy fans like me, it's not really helpful. Not your fault, just one of those things! I'll have to go back to looking up the UF writers manually when I have more time.

message 8: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments For everyone having trouble, wikipedia often has the birthdays of authors, particularly those who've written a lot of books or have bestselling novels. If you've got a few favourite authors perhaps do a quick wiki search and see what you can come up with.

message 9: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I have a list that I have done for the Happy Birthday site. If I can just figure out how to get them from my spreadsheet, your are welcome to use that.

message 10: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I have found some I can maybe use:

Rachel Caine:April 27th
Eoin Colfer:May 14th
Jeffery Deaver:May 6th
Philippa Gregory:Jan 9th
Alyxandra Harvey:Dec 26th
Jean Plaidy:Sep 1st

message 11: by Dee (last edited Nov 19, 2011 06:43AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7582 comments if anyone has read the beekeeper's apprentice (which is a GR) and wants to read another in the series - the author's birthday fits in september

@Donna Jo - could you post the spreadsheetin googledocs and share it

message 12: by Felina (new)

Felina Stephen King is 9/21. I was excited about that. :)

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7582 comments ohh, i do have the new stephen king on the pile...hmmm

message 14: by Felina (new)

Felina Dee wrote: "ohh, i do have the new stephen king on the pile...hmmm"

Me too, which is why I was so excited to find he was an earth baby. :)

message 15: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Earth baby lol

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7582 comments but its soo long...lol! I can do the audiobook of the king one...decsions decisions ;)

message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina Anomander wrote: "Earth baby lol"

Ha ha. You know, as opposed to a non-earth baby. >.<

message 18: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments A few popular Authors I've found that fit this task:

Scott Westerfeld - 5 May
Agatha Christie - 15 Sept
Haruki Murakami - 12 Jan

message 19: by Fran (last edited Nov 20, 2011 06:47AM) (new)

Fran | 736 comments Janet Evanovich- April 22
Jennifer Echols- Sept. 15

message 20: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Dee wrote:

@Donna Jo - could you post the spreadsheetin googled..."

message 21: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Dee, I would, but I just compared my list with the Authers one and everyone on my list is covered there.

message 22: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17580 comments Mod
There are a lot of birthdays listed in this old help thread Eye of the Tiger. The focus of the task was different, but someone may find something. I would suggest double-checking the dates- info might have been updated sine 2009

message 23: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) A couple more popular authors:

David Sedaris - Dec 27
JRR Tolkien - Jan 3
Roald Dahl - Sept 13
Jennifer Crusie - Sept 17
Diana Gabaldon - Jan 9
Sue Grafton - April 24

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments Some authors I found on my TBR:

Nicholas Sparks- 12/31
Frewin Jones- 4/30
Scott Westerfeld- 5/5
Jodi Picoult- 5/19
Stephenie Meyer- 12/24
Victoria Laurie- 12/29
Sarah Mlynowski- 1/4

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7582 comments if the authors GR page (and they are a GR author) has a specific date are we good to go with that - T.J. Klune - has his listed as May 20 which is right on the cusp, so wanted to check...thanks!

message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Dee wrote: "if the authors GR page (and they are a GR author) has a specific date are we good to go with that - T.J. Klune - has his listed as May 20 which is right on the cusp, so wanted to c..."

Yep, specific dates work and so does May 20th. You're good!

message 28: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) | 12 comments Jeffery Deaver was born 6th May

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7582 comments thanks! I actually read the book for another task and then saw his birthday and it was too good of an opportunity to pass up

message 30: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1731 comments for the life of me, I can't find out Avi Steinberg's birthdate. I have tried everywhere! Every site wants to tell me WHERE he was born (Jerusalem), just not the date!! Any suggestions??

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments J.R.R. Tolkien, born Jan 3rd should work, right?

message 32: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindie wrote: "for the life of me, I can't find out Avi Steinberg's birthdate. I have tried everywhere! Every site wants to tell me WHERE he was born (Jerusalem), just not the date!! Any suggestions??"

Sorry, Cindie, I can't find it either. Anyone else?

message 33: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sarah wrote: "J.R.R. Tolkien, born Jan 3rd should work, right?"

January 3rd works.