The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2011: EARTH > 10.2 - As You Like It

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10779 comments Mod
10.2 As You Like It: Goodreads is now providing recommendations based on the books that appear on your shelves. Let's see how well they pick books! At the top of your Goodreads home page, click on the label that says "Recommendations." Choose a shelf listed under the heading "Recommendations by Shelf" and read a book that has been recommended to you. Required: Identify the shelf you used when you post. Optional: How did Goodreads do picking a book for you? Did you like it?

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 21, 2011 07:42PM) (new)

placeholder

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I used my 1001-books-read shelf and it had The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson but the version I have is The Incredible Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson Would this still work? Thanks!

chucklesthescot I don't actually get any new goodreads recommendations now that I've stopped adding books to my tbr. As I don't have any immediate plans to buy something new, this leaves me with a bit of a problem for this task!

message 5: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "I don't actually get any new goodreads recommendations now that I've stopped adding books to my tbr. As I don't have any immediate plans to buy something new, this leaves me with a bit of a problem..."

I haven't added anything to my TBR list for awhile, but there are still recommendations there. Just click on the "Recommendations" on the grey bar between "Groups" and "Explore".
The other option is to use the challenge to dip into some other types of books. That's how I discovered Steampunk, which I mostly love.

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

☆Rebecca G. wrote: "I used my 1001-books-read shelf and it had The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson but the version I have is The Incredible Shrinking Man by [author:Richard M..."

It looks like it's the same story, just marketed with a different cover (and slightly different title) so, yes, it will work.

chucklesthescot Donna Jo wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "I don't actually get any new goodreads recommendations now that I've stopped adding books to my tbr. As I don't have any immediate plans to buy something new, this leaves me..."

I've been using the feature since it started so I do know where to find them but there is nothing there. In the last two weeks the only recommendations that have turned up are books in german for some insane reason and books I've already read and rated. No new recommendations are there to choose from.

message 8: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "I don't actually get any new goodreads recommendations now that I've stopped adding books to my tbr. As I don't have any immediate plans to buy something ne..."

Have you added any books at all to your TBR from using the recommendations thing? If you know what shelf you used perhaps you could use one of them. I've gone ahead and added the recommendation I found to my tbr already. It's obviously no longer being recommended to me, but I don't see why that would prevent me from reading it for this task.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15608 comments Mod
Katrina wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "I don't actually get any new goodreads recommendations now that I've stopped adding books to my tbr. As I don't have any immediate p..."

Yes, it seems as if once you click the box that says you'd like to read it, it moves it out of your recommendations.

Kristi, will a book be okay for this task if we found it in recommendations and then added it to the tbr after the task was posted?

message 10: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments Sandy wrote: "Katrina wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "I don't actually get any new goodreads recommendations now that I've stopped adding books to my tbr. As I don't have..."

As no one can see your recommendations but you, I'd think there's no point keeping something in your recommendations until you get around to reading it for the task.

message 11: by April (new)

April I should have started a bookshelf that specifies that I found in Recommendations.

message 12: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sandy wrote: "Kristi, will a book be okay for this task if we found it in recommendations and then added it to the tbr after the task was posted?"

As long as you found it in your Recommendations at some point (before or after the task was posted), the book will work. The intent behind the task is to get people familiar with the fact that GRs is now making recommendations.

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

April wrote: "I should have started a bookshelf that specifies that I found in Recommendations."

That's not required for this task, but I like the idea! I'm kind of curious about how good the recommendation tool is. I think I'll set up a shelf in My Books so I can keep track of the books I liked and which ones I didn't.

message 14: by Sandy (last edited Nov 23, 2011 04:08AM) (new)

Sandy | 15608 comments Mod
Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "April wrote: "I should have started a bookshelf that specifies that I found in Recommendations."

That's not required for this task, but I like the idea! I'm kind of curious about how good the reco..."

I thought this would be interesting, so I set up a shelf yesterday for GR recommendations - added the 1 book that I had noted that I think I'll read for this task - needless to say, it's not rated, just a "to read." This morning, I had 18 recommendations, based on that shelf, LOL!

message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sandy wrote: "I thought this would be interesting, so I set up a shelf yesterday for GR recommendations - added the 1 book that I had noted that I think I'll read for this task - needless to say, it's not rated, just a "to read." This morning, I had 18 recommendations, based on that shelf, LOL!"

Oh, that's funny. I hadn't even thought about the fact that you'd then get recommendations on that shelf! Off to set one up now.....

message 16: by April (new)

April Well I haven't checked my recommendations from the Recommendations bookshelf, jut it might turn into Funny non-fiction. FOr the 50 point question in Fall, I read CakeWrecks. Now I've recieved recommendations for a host of others like this. The one I'm using for this challenge is Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send

message 17: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I am torn between Mudbound and The Winter Sea for this task.

message 18: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3815 comments April wrote: "Well I haven't checked my recommendations from the Recommendations bookshelf, jut it might turn into Funny non-fiction. FOr the 50 point question in Fall, I read CakeWrecks. Now I've recieved recom..."

Oh! That sounds funny. Onto my TBR it goes.

message 19: by Kristina Simon (new)

April wrote: "Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send"

LOLOLOL......

message 20: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Has anyone else noticed anything strange about the recommendations feature lately? When this task was posted, I could see recommendations for my 'favourite-ya' shelf, and made a choice accordingly. Now, when I click on the 'recommendations' feature, I see that some shelves are missing, including my 'favourite-ya' shelf! I do see the message that goodreads is 'working' on some of the shelves and it is no big deal (I can always use another shelf) but I just wanted to check if it was just me...

message 21: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3815 comments I edited my shelves and unclicked the recommendations box for most of them. Thus, I only get reccommends on the books I have read, rather than on books I have listed on other shelves but not yet read.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments there is apparently a bug in some ppl's shelves - if you let the developers know in the GR Feedback group they can fix your recommendations

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments Meghan - I read The Winter Sea this past challenge and really enjoyed it

message 24: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Dee, I will have to do that as all I can see is recommendations for my currently reading and read shelves...

message 25: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Dee - thanks. I have just joined the GR Feedback group and put up a post about this. Now awaiting a reply...

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

mstan wrote: "Dee - thanks. I have just joined the GR Feedback group and put up a post about this. Now awaiting a reply..."

If you've already picked a book that appeared on your 'favourite-ya' shelf (when it was there), it will still work. The only criteria needed is that it be recommended to you by GRs and you tell us which shelf it was recommended based on (since we all like recommendations ;-)).
But good luck getting your recommendations restored, nonetheless....

message 27: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I have seen that too mstan... I am missing at least a whole set of shelves in my recommendations too.

message 28: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Kristi, will a book be okay for this task if we found it in recommendations and then added it to the tbr after the task was posted?"

As long as you found it in your Recommendations a..."

Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Kristi, will a book be okay for this task if we found it in recommendations and then added it to the tbr after the task was posted?"

As long as you found it in your Recommendations a..."

Excellent! This does give me a few options that I didn't think I would have. Thanks for the clarification.

message 29: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Sorry to bug you again. I'm unsure on the rules for graphic novels in these tasks so would I be able to use The Walking Dead, Book One for this task?

message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

chucklesthescot wrote: "Sorry to bug you again. I'm unsure on the rules for graphic novels in these tasks so would I be able to use The Walking Dead, Book One for this task?"

Graphic novels will work. Enjoy ;-).

message 31: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Thanks!

message 32: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Pringle I had a shelf called children's/young adults. the book Tortall and Other Lands A Collection of Tales by Tamora Pierce by Tamora Pierce was sitting there for the longest time. I finally checked it our from the library intent on reading it for this task. Then I foolishly changed my shelves around and it is not there anymore.

all that to say: Can I still use it for this task cause I knew it was there? please! :) thanks

message 33: by Kristina Simon (new)

Suzanne wrote: "I had a shelf called children's/young adults. the book Tortall and Other Lands A Collection of Tales by Tamora Pierce by Tamora Pierce was sitting there for the longest time. I fi..."

If that book showed up in your Goodreads Recommendations based on that shelf when you chose the book, you can use it.