The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #82 - On Fire

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1665 comments Mod
http://www.swordandlaser.com/home/201...

Definitely some Reamde spoilers, but not until after we mention the wrap-up.

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments YAY! Now I get something to listen to either tonight or tomorrow morning. :)

message 3: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 17, 2011 09:31PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6092 comments Audible has been doing exclusive scifi releases for a while. Recently a Kristine Kathryn Rusch Retrieval Artist novel came out on Audible before print (Anniversary Day).

Oh I listened to the beginning of one of Neil Gaiman's audible picks, Light by M. John Harrison. It has really unpleasant characters and situations.

Hey I think audible is having some kind of semiannual sale.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (kovaelin) | 30 comments I know what I'll be listening to for my morning run tomorrow!

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments I don't know why, but I was a little surprised that V liked Reamde so much. Tom sounded like he was a little too. It wasn't a great book for me. I agree the characters were good, but as a whole I didn't love it. The events and timing the brought characters together were just a bit of a stretch for me, and the T'Rain as a plot device just didn't go anywhere which was a letdown. I think my feelings echo many others in the group though I do know there were some who rather enjoyed it.

Also it's good to have some extra time for the next book as I'm rather tied up this month so it is much appreciated. Need to find some time for IQ84 too.

Anyway another enjoyable podcast guys.

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Wow. I can't believe Veronica liked Reamde as much as she did. I consider myself to be kind of the ideal audience for this book, like Veronica, but it really didn't work for me. The characters were great, but nothing else worked for me...

It was good to hear Tom's opinions of the Fire. Sounds like his feelings are about the same as mine on the device in general.

I like the idea of having an end date for books. I also like that the end date for this one is so far out. I'm making good progress through Elantris but haven't had much time in my car (and due to injury haven't been going to the gym) so my audio time (where I'm listening to 1Q84) has been severely limited. I'm hoping to get some good quality time with that one over the Thanksgiving holiday, as I'll be doing quite a bit of driving around.

Great show as usual. Now back to my regularly-scheduled music listening... ;)

message 7: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Yeah, I don't know! I found myself pretty riveted by the second half of the book. Maybe I'm just a sucker for an action sequence.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) I agree with everything terkristin said. Pretty much my thoughts on the show this week. Always enjoyable...Will you guys have a show next week with Thanksgiving being next week or skip that week? Just wondering...

message 9: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (last edited Nov 18, 2011 10:07AM) (new)

Hey everyone, apparently Archive.org is down for the moment, and so the opdcast isn't live on the site at the moment. Just wanted to give an FYI in case you were wondering!

Damn free hosting service I can't complain about :(

message 10: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Aaaaaand it's back!

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Veronica wrote: "Aaaaaand it's back!"

Felt like I was one of the lucky few who got to listen to the lost edition for awhile there.

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter Hansen (ptrhansen) | 56 comments I listed to the book and it was said with a hard CH (Chong-gor) like chalk. I agree with Veronica about the action at the end, I listened to the last five hours in two days.

message 13: by Otto (last edited Nov 18, 2011 05:02PM) (new)

Otto | 24 comments Wow. No love for Inheritance? We had one of the biggest commercial fantasy releases 10 days ago and not so much as a brief mention in the podcasts.

It's not like Tom & Veronica are fantasy snobs; elitist hipsters that dismissively blow off commercial juggernauts for more underground indie stuff. Maybe they didn't care for the other books in the series. Maybe the Eragon movie was so appalling that it left them emotionally so scarred that discussion of the upcoming book in the series would dredge up too many horrible memories.

I don't consider myself a Paulini fanboi, but the avoidance of such a major genre release in the podcast has me baffled.

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments @Otto: I'm sure it wasn't a deliberate oversight, more likely just hasn't grabbed V&T's attention. If you feel they were missing mentioning it you are obviously welcome to email them so they could have/can add it to the calendar.

I likewise have never read/gotten into the series even though it seemed to have some pretty heavy marketing behind it. Do you like the series? it always looked a little meh to me, and having read some of the goodread reviews I still haven't felt compelled to pick up anytime soon.

message 15: by Otto (last edited Nov 18, 2011 05:12PM) (new)

Otto | 24 comments Yes, meh. I think the heavy marketing comes from the fact that the author was so young.

I only bring it up because I completely missed the release date. It was totally off my radar. So I went back and listened to the last 3 podcasts and realized it was never mentioned in any of the upcoming release calendar announcements. It just seems like a pretty big oversight.

Don't get me wrong, I completely adore T&V and don't have any weirdo conspiracy theories. I'm just very curious because it's, like, the 2nd biggest fantasy release this year.

I guess I can send an email.

message 16: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Well they do rely on others to prompt them for books coming up beyond those they identify, and the calendar is now available for all to see and contribute to if they wish.

Considering no one did maybe says something about the general interest by this group for this subjectively big release. That being said I have seen some people mentioning it in next reads, what are you reading threads so a few seem interested.

message 17: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Andrew wrote: "Do you like the series? it always looked a little meh to me, and having read some of the goodread reviews I still haven't felt compelled to pick up anytime soon. "

My opinion of the series is that it's kind of "meh" but it DOES improve as the series goes on. The first book mostly seems that Paolini took Star Wars and replaced:
Luke with Eragon
Obi-wan with Brom
Tatoonie (???) with Alegasia

Granted, Paolini wrote Eragon when he was 15 years old or so...it definitely reads like it. Eldest is better and my recollection is that Brisingr was also better. I haven't read Inheritance yet though I intend to get to it once I finish Elantris and 1Q84.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Otto wrote: "Don't get me wrong, I completely adore T&V and don't have any weirdo conspiracy theories. I'm just very curious because it's, like, the 2nd biggest fantasy release this year."

second biggest release?

Come on, son.

message 19: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments @terpkristin: those I'd spoken to had expressed that that it was rather derivative to the extreme with some pretty clear illusions from other works; including the Starwars you mention, but also Tolkien's Lotr. The icing for me however was that they didn't feel the writing itself was all that stellar, so I must admit I baulked somewhat when I saw it invading every bookstore with its marketing blitzes. Obviously I haven't read it so I can't critique it myself, but I did get the impression of meh. :)

It's kind of a shame because there are so many worthy works that are deserving of some promotion. All that said writing a book at 15 and getting it published is pretty impressive, but I do wonder if it was the novelty of such that overrode the works underlying worth.

message 20: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments I'm left wondering what is Tom's least favorite Neal Stephenson book?

message 21: by Walter (new)

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments I've never read a Stephenson book...where do I start?

message 22: by JRush (last edited Nov 19, 2011 11:42AM) (new)

JRush | 64 comments I haven't read any of his books yet either, but on the advise of quite a few people I picked up Snow Crash.

I'm actually sitting on my couch deliberating on finishing The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series To Green Angel Tower or starting snow crash... So many good books to read!

message 23: by Walter (new)

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments Jonathan wrote: "So many good books to read!"

Too many books and not enough time.

message 24: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Walter wrote: "I've never read a Stephenson book...where do I start?"

I'd also recommend Snow Crash, and get it on Audible if you're inclined towards audiobooks. It's weird, quirky, goofy, action packed and awesome. A fun book with some crazy ideas.

I was pleased that Veronica like it as much as I did. The characters really did it for me, and the whole strong family vibe was cool. The Forthrasts and their re-u really connected me to the story.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Great show

message 26: by Otto (new)

Otto | 24 comments "Come on, son. "

LoL. I said biggest, not best.

I'm just reveling in the irony that a fantasy book that broke Amazon's top 3 hardbacks, a book that you see in stacks at Costco and pushed so heavily in massive endcap displays at Barnes & Noble doesn't even get so much as a mention on a fantasy podcast...even in the segment devoted to current releases.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

So it's like Twilight?

I don't even know what this book is.

message 28: by Otto (new)

Otto | 24 comments "So it's like Twilight?"

Getting warmer. The two series share do an abominable movie adaptation catered to teens. Fortunately Eragon failed so miserably that they cancelled the rest of the movies.

The books in the series are a bit derivative and slow, yet passable and sometimes enjoyable fantasy. I think much of the marketing fervor stems from the author's young age and the fact that it reaches a more general audience.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh. That series.

Meh.

message 30: by toria (vikz writes) (last edited Nov 21, 2011 11:23AM) (new)

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Two questions

1) How much of 1Q84 do we have to read? Kindle has it as three books.

2) Can we have the same length of time to read this book, or longer, as Elantris?

message 31: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Hmmm...my Kindle store has it as only 1 book (which is a combination of the three). I only see it available as 3 books in Japanese hardcover?

message 32: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments terpkristin wrote: "Hmmm...my Kindle store has it as only 1 book (which is a combination of the three). I only see it available as 3 books in Japanese hardcover?"

Really? I get offered one book which is book 1 & 2, and a second which is just book 3. Rather odd setup I thought. Same at other ebooks stores for me too.

Curious how much the single book (1,2,3) is for you as I don't doubt I'm paying more again because of my region.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Andrew wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "Hmmm...my Kindle store has it as only 1 book (which is a combination of the three). I only see it available as 3 books in Japanese hardcover?"

Really? I get offered one book wh..."

I Got the same. 1+2 in one vol and 3 in another.

message 34: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments You in the US Victoria?

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Andrew wrote: "You in the US Victoria?"

nope UK

message 36: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments ah. Well there you go. Must be a regional thing for the likes of us. Different distribution/publisher deal. Odd setup combining just the first two books into one though.

message 37: by Ryan (last edited Nov 23, 2011 03:34AM) (new)

Ryan Poole | 3 comments Andrew wrote: "ah. Well there you go. Must be a regional thing for the likes of us. Different distribution/publisher deal. Odd setup combining just the first two books into one though."

I'd think it be so they can charge people twice. Once to catch up and once to read. Buyers will be less inclined to buy three separate books.

Also odd considering one of the ASOIAF books were split into two.

message 38: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Otto wrote: "Wow. No love for Inheritance? We had one of the biggest commercial fantasy releases 10 days ago and not so much as a brief mention in the podcasts."

I thought Inheritance was talked about in one of the recent podcasts? I think it came out on the same day as The Alloy of Law and I thought it was mentioned at the same time. There was definitely a thread in the forums about it.

message 39: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments Alloy of Law rocked by the way. Kind of like The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. meets Mistborn.

And great show naturally.

message 40: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments I just picked The Alloy of Law up yesterday, I'm glad to hear you liked it, I've been looking forward to reading it.