Holocaust and genocide discussion

Favorite Hoocaust Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelab) I am 15 and have read over 75 holocaust books. I could never choose a favourite, but I am wondering what everyone elses favourite or recommended holocaust books are.

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenmarylesshankman) Have you read "The Last of the Just?"

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelab) No but I will be sure to read it thanks Helen

message 4: by Mariloli (new)

Mariloli OS | 7 comments NIGHT! no doubt

message 5: by Nithya (new)

Nithya  (Zuana) | 3 comments Rachel wrote: "I am 15 and have read over 75 holocaust books. I could never choose a favourite, but I am wondering what everyone elses favourite or recommended holocaust books are."

Hi Rachel,
Can you post a list of Holocaust related books that you have read? I've read around 15 of them and would like to read more :-) Thanks!

message 6: by Roma (new)

Roma | 5 comments Hi, Nithya,

If you like, you can check out my listing of (some of) the Shoa-related books I've read, here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Some of the titles are in Dutch, however, some of those are translations from different languages, or may have been translated into English.

Good readin'!

message 7: by Nithya (new)

Nithya  (Zuana) | 3 comments Roma wrote: "Hi, Nithya,

If you like, you can check out my listing of (some of) the Shoa-related books I've read, here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Some of the ti..."

Thanks so much Roma! :-) Will check out the list, I hope to find the English Translations of the books that are in your list!

message 8: by Roma (new)

Roma | 5 comments You're very welcome!

message 9: by Missy (new)

Missy (lina1631) Over the past few years, I have been reading many books about WWII and the Holocaust. I can't read enough of them! Two that have stood out for me are "All But My Life" by Gerda Weissman Klein and "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom.

message 10: by Rosenkavalier (last edited Dec 12, 2011 02:57AM) (new)

Rosenkavalier | 4 comments Being Italian, I have to mention Primo Levi's "Se questo è un uomo" (If This Is a Man).

Se questo è un uomo by Primo Levi

message 11: by Roma (new)

Roma | 5 comments Rosenkavalier wrote: "Being Italian, I have to mention Primo Levi's "Se questo è un uomo" (If This Is a Man).

Se questo è un uomo by Primo Levi"

Yes!!! Absolutely. I read it for the first time nigh on 50 years ago, in the Dutch translation. Definitely one of the greats.

message 12: by Helen (last edited Dec 12, 2011 05:09AM) (new)

Helen (helenmarylesshankman) In America, this book is called Survival in Auschwitz, and I agree with you, it's incredible. For me, his gentle observations and his good humor color the horror with humanity.

message 13: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (elspethgordie) | 3 comments I'm not sure if the Book Thief is included? but i loved it...

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Shank (learnincolor) | 16 comments I Will Plant You A Lilac Tree and Because of Romek are among my top favorites.

message 15: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (elspethgordie) | 3 comments Anna wrote: "I Will Plant You A Lilac Tree and Because of Romek are among my top favorites."

i read I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree- it was really good. Schindler's list is brilliant, too.

message 16: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 11 comments The Wooden Horse maybe?
Also, does anyone know the name of a book of a male survivor of a concentration camp brothel? I can't remember the name, I know he was very young and the title is only one word. I also heard it is very graphic. It would be wonderful if anyone could give me the title!

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim Are you thinking of Sherman's play Bent? It was based on a memoir called The Men With the Pink Triangle and was eventually made into a film as well. I don't remember a scene with a brothel though.

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Shank (learnincolor) | 16 comments I was thinking of "Bent" as well.

"Night Song" and "From Dust and Ashes" by Tricia Goyer are AWESOME!!

message 19: by Yeny (new)

Yeny (yestfl) | 2 comments Do you guys have any books in PDF you would like to share? I am enjoy reading about this topic so, so much!

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Shank (learnincolor) | 16 comments I downloaded a PDF Of "Night" to my iBooks. You can also to worldcat.org to find libraries near you that have the desired book.

message 21: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 11 comments Thank you for your response, but it is not Bent. I know that the book is graphic enough that the librarian kept it in his office, but I didn't write the title down and forgot. If anyone comes across it, I would be grateful.

message 22: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 11 comments Also, has anyone read Pierre Seel's book? He was a homosexual that was deported, I have become more interested in the other oppressed groups accounts of the Holocaust as I have spent a semester and a half studying the Jewish people in the Holocaust. Thank you!:)

message 23: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 11 comments Has anyone read The Wave?

message 24: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Shank (learnincolor) | 16 comments Nope, never heard of it. As for others persecuted..hmm..I'm not sure. I'm just interested in Jewish culture LOL

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmafofemma) | 3 comments I loved The Book Thief! I also really liked I Have Lived A Thousand Years although as far as I know you can only order it, not buy it in a book store. There was also an interesting one I read called The Girl in the Red Coat. It's written by a survivor who had a red jacket just like the girl in Schindler's List and she writes about her experiences.

message 26: by Denise (new)

Denise (deniseg53) | 2 comments All But My Life is probably my favorite Holocaust memoir.

message 27: by Ebb (new)

Ebb (ebbsbooks) The Seamstress by Sara Tuvel Bernstein. It was the first book I ever read about the Holocaust. I was 11 yrs old (I'm almost 22 now) and the story has stuck with me ever since. Its one of two of my all-time favorite books because it sparked my interest in history and Holocaust and Genocide studies, which I'm now majoring in college.

message 28: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (kuffwin) | 1 comments Castles Burning is my favourite. I think it's the way she's able to use humour to describe it that really gets me.

message 29: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Shank (learnincolor) | 16 comments Things We Couldn't Say by Diet Eman is really good. It's about a Dutch Christian's resistance work.
26 Women Heroes of WWII by Kathryn Atwood...the title says it all
After Daybreak by Ben Shepherd is really interesting. It profiles the Belsen liberation...poor Brits went through hell trying to help those people.

I'm currently reading The Boy Who Dared and its REALLY good.

message 30: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) Rosenkavalier wrote: "Being Italian, I have to mention Primo Levi's "Se questo è un uomo" (If This Is a Man).

Se questo è un uomo  by Primo Levi"

The books has been recently reprinted in Hollands as a book magazine as a very cheap edition.
This is a book I want to have on my shelves forever, so I ordered it immediately.
Great book and a must read for anyone who want to know what is really was in a labor camp under the nazi-regime.

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jgraff1307) | 2 comments Alicia, is my favorite memoir.
Fires in the Dark, is also one of my favorites, providing and interesting look at the holocaust and the effect of European gypsy culture.
It's hard to pick my favorite novel of the holocaust...there are so many great ones.

message 32: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hultman "Night" by Elie Wieael-no competition! I've been teaching it since 1989 & I am humbled and instructed every single year.

message 33: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hultman *Wiesel

message 34: by Novall (last edited Jan 06, 2013 08:18PM) (new)

Novall | 12 comments For a child's perspective on the Shoah, please read Ragdolls by Henry Golde. Henry, born same year as Anne Frank, now relates his memories for school groups, university settings, and public gatherings.

message 35: by Fliss (new)

Fliss Blanch | 5 comments I remember when I first bought Night by Elie Wiesel and I thought to myself this will be a quick read because it's so short but I have to say that it's one of the hardest books I've ever read - not because of the vocabulary but because it's such a raw and heart wrenching read. A book of that length doesn't take me long to read but with Night I had to put it down for a while and walk away for a break to get away from the images that was in my mind. That being said it is one of my favourite books.

message 36: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (kbgalle) | 2 comments Novall, In the 80's there was a man who traveled to my jr highschool in California to talk about his time in concentration camps during the holocaust and promote his book. I wonder if it is the same guy. In his presentation or book does he mention anything about being near Anne Frank?

message 37: by Novall (new)

Novall | 12 comments Henry has lived in Wisconsin since the 1970s and presently resides there. He speaks in schools and public settings in the state and has traveled to Iowa and Illinois to present his narrative to the public. Although the same age, Henry and Anne did not meet; whereas Anne was first arrested in August 1944 and died in March 1945, Henry survived 6 years, i.e. the entire war, under Nazi-orchestrated incarceration. Beginning 1939, at 11, he was held in a Jewish ghetto and spent the war in various labor camps, ghettos, concentration camps in Poland, then Germany, and finally Czechoslovakia.

message 38: by Marvin (new)

Marvin | 5 comments A very nice review from The Netherlands of a new Canadian book by the child of Holocaust survivors. The book is called Peril: From Jackboots to Jack Benny by Pearl Goodman. The review is at http://ditissuzanneleest.blogspot.nl/...

Bookpleasures.com said "a powerfully moving book that deals with the lingering intergenerational effects of the horrific history of the holocaust.."Peril: From Jackboots To Jack Benny

message 39: by E. (new)

E. Wood | 1 comments One of the most powerful Holocaust books I have ever read is Christopher Browning's "Ordinary Men" (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64...).

Browning shows how a force as banal as peer pressure can turn otherwise seemingly decent human beings into mass-murderers. The lesson's of one group of Hamburg cops who are transformed into Einsatzgruppen killers has chilling lessons for all of us.

message 40: by LindaD (new)

LindaD (freedom333) | 1 comments Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli is a good one I just finished

message 41: by Olleh (new)

Olleh | 2 comments Once by Morris Gleitzman, The Promise by Eva Schloss, A time to speak by Helen Lewis, What if they find us? by Cathy Clark. Are some of my favourites without mentioning the obvious ones. I'm a teenager and I've read dozens too.

message 42: by Olleh (new)

Olleh | 2 comments By the way Linda, Milkweed sounds good and I just bought it on kindle.

message 43: by Alexa (new)

Alexa I Have Lived A Thousand Years is definitely a great Holocaust book. The Book Thief and even The Devil's Arithmetic are other good ones, although it starts out a little childish-sounding but it has a good story line.

message 44: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmafofemma) | 3 comments ^ You are honestly the first person I've ever heard to have known of/read I Have Lived A Thousand Years.

Hitler's Empire: How the Nazis Ruled Europe by Mark Mazower is good too. I only just remembered that now... I read it years ago but it's very informative. It's not a "story", but yes.

message 45: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Shank (learnincolor) | 16 comments I love I Have Lived a Thousand Years and my library has one of the sequels.

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments I, too, love I Have Lived a Thousand Years. I am teaching 7th grade for the first time this year. We have a class set of this book. A group of 7th grade girls read it as their pick for literature circles. For a few of them it was a little graphic. I really enjoyed it.

I read Alicia: My Story; By Appleman-Jurman Alicia last year. I remember being very intrigued by all of the things Alicia experienced and survived just by her teen years.

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Corbett Ummm I haven't read very many but I'd have to say, "thirty six" or "night." The boy in the striped pyjamas was good but I'd seen the movie before hand so I new the ending:( the same with Schindler's list, the book was great but a lot more powerful on film. The pianist was great too, both the book and the film

message 48: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmafofemma) | 3 comments I liked Schindler's List movie better as well.

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura Tremblay | 3 comments E. wrote: "One of the most powerful Holocaust books I have ever read is Christopher Browning's "Ordinary Men" (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64...).

Browning shows how a force as bana..."

E. wrote: "One of the most powerful Holocaust books I have ever read is Christopher Browning's "Ordinary Men" (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64...).

Browning shows how a force as bana..."

I completely agree very powerful book.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura Tremblay | 3 comments A train in winter by Caroline Moorhead, Five Chimneys by Olga Lengyl, The Heroic Journey of Private Galione by Mary Nahas, Quiet Heroes by Andre Stein, I could could go on forever but try these out.

« previous 1