Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Kindle Fire

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 11 comments I picked up my Fire on Tuesday and enjoying it so far except for the weight.

There is so much to do on it and I haven't really had any time to go through it all.

Was just wondering what others thought about it, for those who have it. I have seen postings with members trying to decide which new Kindle to get, so maybe our comments will help them decide.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (foreverjuly) | 41 comments I've been having a great time with mine. It's very portable, handy, easy to operate and access. No complaints really, for what it is. There's always more stuff they could have added if the price had been higher, and there'll probably be some helpful software updates in the pipeline.

A great resource I've been telling people about for news and free apps is this site: http://fireapps.blogspot.com/

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments Vernessa wrote: "I picked up my Fire on Tuesday and enjoying it so far except for the weight.

There is so much to do on it and I haven't really had any time to go through it all.

Was just wondering what other..."

Yes I am considering one! Please let us know what you think. :) I was wondering if anyone knew which facebook compatible games are available. Some that I like are Zombie Lane, Gnome Town and Words with Friends. Although I want to get some others whether there is facebook or not like Angry Birds and Plants VS Zombies.

I am also excited about the apps related to cooking and was wondering if the allrecipes app lets you select dietary options like vegan to filter. I think the site does. I also love the Whole Foods app for iPod Touch and iPhone because you can do that. :) Maybe they will have a Fire app too.

message 4: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 11 comments Jason wrote: "I've been having a great time with mine. It's very portable, handy, easy to operate and access. No complaints really, for what it is. There's always more stuff they could have added if the price ha..."

Thanks for the link, will definately check it out!

message 5: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 11 comments Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: "Vernessa wrote: "I picked up my Fire on Tuesday and enjoying it so far except for the weight.

Was just wonderi..."

I have played all of my FB games on the Kindle, wet right to FB and played the games, haven't had a problem yet.

Words with Friends actually comes pre-installed, at least mines did as well as FB. I haven't explored the allrecipes as of yet, most of the apps I am still exploring, as I am finding out some are not compatible with the Fire YET. I have a lot of apps on my android phone and was hoping to be able to use them on the Fire.

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Nov 17, 2011 07:08PM) (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 89 comments I'm really enjoying mine. Posting from it right now. It's a pretty slick device. The goodreads app is much better here than on the iPhone/iPad. :) My poor K3 is sitting unused now. I wasn't planning on upgrading but was lucky enough to get the fire for my birthday. The fire is a little sluggish at times but it's an overall awesome device. It's small form is easier to maintain than my iPad, which is sometimes too cumbersome to hold. I give it a thumbs up! :)

Edit: the only thing I don't like about the goodreads app on the fire is there is no way to "edit" comments on the forums after you've submitted. I had to open up my Macbook Pro to edit the comment.

message 7: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 11 comments Ashley wrote: "I'm really enjoying mine. Posting from it right now. It's a pretty slick device. The goodreads app is much better here than on the iPhone/iPad. :) My poor K3 is sitting unused now. I wasn't planni..."

Wow, thats interesting and never noticed that you couldnt edit, as I am typing away on mines as well. :)

My Kindle 3 has been calling me for the past few days and is highly upset with me that it has been replaced. I am going to keep my Kindle 3 in the box for safekeeping, just in case ANYTHING happens to my Fire.

Enjoy

message 8: by Cindy (last edited Nov 17, 2011 07:24PM) (new)

Cindy (newtomato) I'm loving mine as well. The screen is really nice. I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the group, but the video playback (Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon video) is fantastic - really smooth. Also, a pdf scientific textbook I loaded onto the fire looks amazing. Really easy to pinch-zoom if I want detail.

My only complaint so far is that it's not seamlessly integrated to the Amazon cloud. I think if we put documents, pictures, etc into the amazon cloud drive, we should easily be able to access them. So far this is only the case with music. Books in the cloud are only accessible if you email them to yourself, which seems a bit silly. (I can't seem to download them if I navigate to the cloud webpage.) But I have hope Amazon will fix this with a software update. :)

Oh, and the dirt-cheap neoprene sleeve I ordered fits just fine. A touch snug, but nothing to worry about.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments Vernessa, to play the facebook games on your Fire are you going through the facebook app or the browser? That is awesome that they have worked well for you. :) I want one more and more the more I learn about it. Goodreads on it seems awesome and appropriate. Shame you can't edit the comments. It will be great for quick comments but to do the challenge posts I will just use my laptop. One of my favorite cafes has free wifi so I can play while waiting for food or sipping a drink. :) I will have to see if any others I like have the free wifi. I have heard McDonalds does but that doesn't help me much... being a vegan and all LOL.

message 10: by Luna (new)

Luna Martin (fusedshadow) | 9 comments I got mine Wednesday (I think) and it's everything I thought it would be. I especially bought it for the lighting so I wouldn't need a book light, and I really like the touch screen, which I've always liked on the iPhone app. It's really nice, too, to have a larger screen since at night I have to make the print larger so I can see it and now there's a little less page turning.

I don't really like how the bookmarking and history are on the same page in the internet browser. Since I just got it, there are probably some things I need to learn or get used to, but, really, you don't have to read the directions to get started. It was a great price deal and I highly recommend it.

message 11: by Aliraluna (new)

Aliraluna I'm so sad!!!! the kindle fire it was supposed to arrive in nov.15 and here in P.R it hasb't arrive yet!!! and I got a TONS of books to read D:. Hope you enjoy them ;)

message 12: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: " free wifi. I have heard McDonalds does but that doesn't help me much... being a vegan and all LOL. "

Burger King does a veggie burger ... and has free wifi.

message 13: by Ashley (last edited Nov 18, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 89 comments Still enjoying my fire thought I have run into some non-responsiveness. I'll touch a link on a page in the browser and it will just not load the page, even if I tell it to open in a new tab or page. This has happened on the amazon page no less. Very weird.

I've also noticed sometimes it's a bit sluggish. I'll touch the arrow button to go back and it won't register until the 2nd or 3rd time. For someone who is used to an iPad and iPhone, it's pretty frustrating. I've never had that happen on my iOS products touch screens.

Does anyone here manually load books from other places to their Kindles via Calibre? I have discovered I've been able to do it, after finding an article with a workaround since Calibre didn't have support for the fire until today. I haven't downloaded the Calibre update yet, but I do plan on side-loading more books onto the device eventually. :) I like to have so much to choose from that it's almost ridiculous.

My K3 has over 1,000 books on it. :) I do have to say it will be really odd not to be able to have folders like on my K3. I don't know how you can keep a library that large organized on the fire without folders.

message 14: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments I do not have a kindle fire, but how do I create folders on my K3?

message 15: by Betsy (new)

Betsy The fire doesn't have collections? Bummer!

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) Not yet, but at least it's something that can be added with a software update.

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Hinze (vickihinze) My fire's arrived! I haven't opened the box yet--on deadline and know I won't want to stop to get back to the book. Loving reading all the comments here!

Vicki

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments stormhawk wrote: "Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) wrote: " free wifi. I have heard McDonalds does but that doesn't help me much... being a vegan and all LOL. "

Burger King does a veggie burger ... and has free wifi."

They also have some interesting slushy flavors in the summer. I don't know if the veggie burger is vegan (no eggs or milk) but I could probably get a salad if I was ever in a crunch like traveling or something. It is good to know they have wifi. I didn't know that.

message 19: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 11 comments Aliraluna wrote: "I'm so sad!!!! the kindle fire it was supposed to arrive in nov.15 and here in P.R it hasb't arrive yet!!! and I got a TONS of books to read D:. Hope you enjoy them ;)"

I am so sorry you are waiting longer than you wanted to, just know that when it does arrive, you will not want to put it down :)

message 20: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 11 comments Ashley wrote: "Still enjoying my fire thought I have run into some non-responsiveness. I'll touch a link on a page in the browser and it will just not load the page, even if I tell it to open in a new tab or page..."

You brought up a good point, I have been noticing the sluggish movements as well, it's a big pain when I am playing sudoku. And as far as the folders are concerned, I thought I was missing something. I kept looking through the manual to figure out how to do it, but the Fire does not have that feature :(

message 21: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 11 comments Sonya wrote: "I do not have a kindle fire, but how do I create folders on my K3?"

At the very top of the menu on your home screen, you will notice that when you highlight a book, there will be an arrow on the far left of the book, move the curser to the right and on that page it will give you an option to add it to a collection/remove it, etc....

Hope this helps.

message 22: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments how do u create a collection?

message 23: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 11 comments Sonya wrote: "how do u create a collection?"

After going to the page I was telling you about, when you scroll down, it will ask you if you want to create a collection, click yes, then name it what you want

message 24: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) I agree that the fire needs collections. Also, collections should sync across devices. If I move a book from my to be read collection to my currently reading collection it should do that on all of my devices! I'm a little device crazy so I have 2 PCs, an Android phone, a Fire, a K3, and a K4 that I try to keep managed. The Android and Fire don't have collections which makes them an extra pain.

message 25: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Rose | 3 comments Im so jealous of all of the new Fire owners. A definite Xmas present Wish List. My bday is on Dec. 7th. Doubtful but we will see.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments I ordered a Fire! A birthday (Dec 9th) and Xmas present from my parents. :) I hope that I get to have it on my birthday or sooner. I touched one at Best Buy and played a bit. I bought mine from Amazon though.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments I would like collections too but I still like the way it seems to be organized from briefly playing with one at Best Buy. I can't wait to use mine. :)

message 28: by Tiffany (last edited Nov 28, 2011 06:56PM) (new)

Tiffany this might not sound right or weird but i have the amazon kindle the regular one the first one that got out and if i buy the kindle fire can i take the books i have in my first kindle and translate them into the kindle fire?

message 29: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) Tiffany wrote: "this might not sound right or weird but i have the amazon kindle the regular one the first one that got out and if i buy the kindle fire can i take the books i have in my first kindle and translate..."

Any kindle books, amazon mp3s, amazon videos, amazon apps you have already purchased will show up on your fire. You can choose to leave them in the cloud where you can access them anytime you have wifi or you can download them to your device and access them even when outside of wifi.

message 30: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments Has anyone read magazines on the Kindle fire, is so is there a setting to make the letters bigger? Thanks!!

message 31: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Shaina wrote: "Tiffany wrote: "this might not sound right or weird but i have the amazon kindle the regular one the first one that got out and if i buy the kindle fire can i take the books i have in my first kind..."

Thanx for replying, i just learned something!

message 32: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 11 comments Shaina wrote: "Tiffany wrote: "this might not sound right or weird but i have the amazon kindle the regular one the first one that got out and if i buy the kindle fire can i take the books i have in my first kind..."

I subscribed to a magazine and while I am reading a page, I either tap it or finger pinch it to zoom in on a particular part.

message 33: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments Shaina, once I registered my Kindle fire all my books appeared on the Cloud. I love the Kindle fire but would like for the magazine font to stay at a certain size.

message 34: by Granna (new)

Granna  (grannareads) | 7 comments There's a feature at the top when you're reading a magazine where you can change the page views and text becomes larger, like reading a book. One of the reasons I bought the Fire was the ability to get magazines-I hate having magazines stacked up all over the house but I hate to throw them away too. LOL So I downloaded one immediately to see how easy it was to read and I was very pleased. And it will stay there forever if I want it to, no mess, no fuss, and I'll always know where to find it-just like my books. Man, I love this thing!!

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee | 13 comments How is reading on the fire?? I'm worried about eye strain - like on a computer.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) I get a headache when I read for long periods of time on the computer. I haven't had that problem with the Fire. Some people are complaining that it's not easy to read out in full daylight. I haven't had a chance to test that yet. I do know I love not needing a light to read in the evenings.

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Now that I've had my kindle fire for a few weeks, I'll put my two cents in. Love the Fire, but prefer the K3 for reading. The Fire's screen does reflect a lot of light, even with the anti-glare screen protector.I prefer the page buttons to the touch screen, I also get distracted by the games, and don't read a much. We haven't had much of the bone chilling cold in New England this year as we usually do, and my other touch screen devices don't do well below freezing, I was going to sell my kindle keyboard, but glad I didn't.

message 38: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I haven't been able to let go of any of my old Kindles. When I got the KDXg, I decided to keep the K1 because it was more convenient to stow in my purse, even if PDFs displayed better on the DX. Then about a week after I got the DX, the K3 premiered, and zoom, it was in my hands. And THEN the K'Fire. I love the Fire for it's versatility, but it HURTS when I drop it on my face when I'm in bed reading and falling asleep ...

message 39: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I've been debating about the fire. I have a K3, which I prefer for reading, and a K1 for backup. I also have a big desktop PC. I've been wanting something for more portable browsing, maybe some movies and videos, but also want to be able to type on it and I hate typing more than a word or two on a touchscreen. So do I get a laptop? or a fire? or both.

Then I found the Asus Transformer. It's a tablet, a little bigger than a fire. With a docking station keyboard. Runs Android. And I can connect to Amazon Prime for movies and videos.

Just got it today; still figuring out how to work everything.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) Can someone give me a formula or guide for how many words = how many pages on the Fire? I've never had an ereader, so I'm not sure how to calculate back and forth when only the number of words is listed.

message 41: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) I don't know that there is any exact formula. If publishers want to put them in they can have the normal page numbers included.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments The Asus Transformer sounds cool. I have an Asus laptop and I really like it. It is very fast. I use it for everything but I love my Fire for apps, portability, gaming and keeping track of reading challenges and lists. I also read on it a bit.

message 43: by Randie (new)

Randie D. Camp, M.S. (randie87) I love my Kindle Fire but I will use my Kindle Keyboard for reading...I cannot read on a lighted screen for too long, sensitive eyes. My five-year-old prefers his picture books on the Fire because of the brilliant color.

To Carol: I find the percentage of the book read to be more handy than the number of pages read. But some books on the Kindle do have "real" page numbers, if you press the Menu key. I think there is a tutorial for it in the Kindle forum on Amazon.

message 44: by Helen (new)

Helen You can work out the pages by comparing the 'bytes' given for a book to the actual page count of a paperback. Compare one that you already own. HOw many pages you have on aan e-reader screen will vary anyway as it depends on the print size you use, so one actual page could last for 10 page turns.

message 45: by Readingcureall (new)

Readingcureall | 19 comments I am so thrilled I got my fire!! I LOVE it!! Wow talk about an improvement. I think it is easy on the eyes personally but then I felt like the other was a strain. I love... well everything about it. I am seriously considering rereading books just to experience them on it lol Is that wrong? I love being able to check reviews or on here before I buy a book so easy. With out having to jump off the couch. LAZY!! I know. lol I am going to check back on http://www.womensliterarycafe.com/ and buy a few more books. I know they are having a buy3 get 1 free sale still and I feel I need to stock up a bit more now that I am loving e-reading oh that much more. My kids are now getting my old kindle for good.
BTW I can so see myself dropping it on my face too who ever posted that. lol

message 46: by Susan (last edited Dec 25, 2011 05:50PM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 7 comments I have my late mother's Kindle. I was thinking of trading it in for a Fire (Target is offering a coupon) for my husband. He likes the idea of storing PDF documents on it. Thoughts? (I have my own Kindle 3.)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) I don't change the font size so it's just the default. I figured I'd just time myself and that would give me a rough idea.

Not sure if anyone on here complained about the power button, but I read elsewhere that people were complaining that it was too easy to bump it and put it in sleep mode while reading. Um...turn the thing 180º and the power button will be on the top. It's what I do. Why hasn't anyone else thought of that?

I like the PDF capability because I get books from indie authors to review and some only have PDF.

message 48: by Gina (new)

Gina Ashley wrote: "I'm really enjoying mine. Posting from it right now. It's a pretty slick device. The goodreads app is much better here than on the iPhone/iPad. :) My poor K3 is sitting unused now. I wasn't planni..."

I just got mine for Christmas and I have been on Goodreads all day and there are edit buttons for your comments and challenges. I just added books to my December challenges. The edit button is the same place it is when u r on the computer. Just wanted to add that so people know u can do that.

By the way....how do u do cut / paste and highlight on the fire?

Diamond (kindle lover) (quirkysecrets) | 15 comments I got to open mines on Christmas the best present I got in my life

message 50: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) Just got word that mine is sitting on my counter waiting to be opened. So excited!

« previous 1