Cell Cell question

What is your favorit horror book and why?
Levi Jones Levi Nov 17, 2011 04:17PM
My favorite would have to be Cell, What about you.

carrion comfort by dan simmons. its brilliant and parts still stick with me years later.
oo and lord of the the flies. a 2 ended stick ffs!

Tad (last edited Nov 26, 2011 04:22PM ) Nov 26, 2011 04:18PM   0 votes
I loved Cell and The Stand. But the most disturbing book I've read is The Ruins. That book still creeps me out.

Licha I enjoyed reading it. I don't know that i would consider it scary enough. ...more
Feb 15, 2012 10:50AM · flag

Really? Read the sick comments in "Rules of prey" and that by far is one of the most disturbing things i have ever read. but i loved Cell as a book and was mad when i was forced by the parental overlords to sell it.

My favorite book by King (like many of you) is "IT". The whole premise caught and held me. I also like most of Poe's works. Three books I think you will find very good reading are: Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon, Hell House by Richard Matheson and Ghosts by Noel Hynd. The last one "Ghosts" has been sadly over looked.

Mine is a three way tie with Cell, The Stand, and The Shining. Each one really creeps me out. Each one keeps me on the edge of my seat.

For me it comes down to 3 books, The Shining, It and The Taking by Dean Koontz. Can't decide which on gives me the heebee jeebies more.

The Mist by Stephen King is probably my all time favorite in Horror. Stephen King was at his best when he wrote that one. The amount of suspense and creepiness were well balanced. I felt completely transported to where the characters were and how they felt as the unseen was about to catch up with them.

Violin by Anne Rice <---- Scared the crap out of me. I was afraid to go to sleep at night because, I would hear a faint sound of a violin playing in the dark. So, I began to read during the daylight hours and figured this would help. Nope. When I figured I had forgotten about the novel at bedtime I would wake up in the middle of the night to hearing a violin in the distance.

REALLY surprised to see so much love for Cell. I was pretty disappointed by it. The Stand is obviously incredible and epic. I also love it's often counterpart Swan Song. But if we're talking ALL TIME FAVORITE, there's no doubt about it; we're talking I Am Legend.

I agree with almost all of the King books but I'm sort of surprised "Misery" and "Cujo" are left out. They were much more apt to be real situations and I thought very scary. Glad some had recommended "The Ruins" too. Very scary. I would like to add "The Descent" by Jeff Long.

I think you like to read horror

Okay just going to ask, What about Pet Sematary? I don't know about anyone else but that book horrified me in ways i didn't even know existed. The dead kid facing off with the old man gave me nightmares for weeks after finishing the book.

It is by far the scariest book in my opinion, closely followed by Salem's Lot & Desperation. No prizes for guessing who my favourite author is! Also Shrine by James Herbert is pretty creepy too.

Nancy (The Avid Reader) (last edited Dec 11, 2011 10:14AM ) Dec 11, 2011 10:10AM   0 votes
The Stand by Stephen King has always been my favorite book of all time. Actually I love anything written by Stephen King. Why? Because I believe that Stephen King is trying to tell the constant reader more in his books than just the story themselves.

I also love the House Of Night Novels by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast. Why? Well they just might be trying to do the same thing.
The Stand by Stephen King
House of Night Books Collection Untamed, Tempted, Burned , Betrayed , Marked , Chosen and Hunted by P.C. Cast

Wouldn't say I'm a fan of horror, but then I've read a lot of SK...Cell was pretty damn good and of course The Stand, though I don't know if that qualifies as horror...

I only read part of the book, so no spoils please

There is a novel by L. Ron Hubbard I read back when I was a pre teen that scared the holy hell out of me. It is called "fear" and it was good and scary. Defiantly worth a read

I've read most of the books mentioned here except for Cell, though I've read pretty much everything else by Stephen King. I'll always think The Stand is one of the best books ever, but for scary I'd go with The Shining or 'Salems Lot ... I agree with Zac's mention of Swan Song and I Am Legend, which is one of my all time favorites -- but I'll add to this list The Haunting of Hill House which when read for the first time at about 12 or 13 kept me up for nights listening for breathing walls ......

The Stand was great. However, IT was by FAR the scariest book I've ever read...and no I don't have a fear of clowns ~well after that book I look twice. The book too closely mimicked the town and circumstances I grew up in and around....luckily, I never have to go back~

Most of my favorite horror books were authored by either Stephen King, Brian Lumley, or F. Paul Wilson. The book that scared me the most, however, was Darkfall by Dean Koontz. My Mom read parts of it as a bedtime story when I was really little and the memory of that still haunts me.

As for why I enjoy the books I do by the authors above: the ability to get lost in a story. If I find myself wishing I could go back in time and read the book for the first time again that puts it in my favorite catagory as well.

"Salem's Lot" and "The Stand", yes - fantastic stuff, no argument. HP Lovecraft and "The Amityville Horror" may as well be cartoons as far as I'm concerned. Could never bear Lovecraft, he wrote plodding nonsense that was only good for messing with and turning into stupidly entertaining films. In fact that whole Chthulhu thing is a yawn - sorry about that. But in all the books so far mentioned, I'm surprised no one has put in a loud shout for Peter Straub's "Ghost Story".

Salem's Lot is my favorite horror book ever. It is so bloody and it hasn't the common content of most vampire books. It's delightful. :) I will read it again.

The Stand. Only because something like that could really happen.

There are 2 for me. The first is Off Season by Jack Ketchum. This book creeped me out beyond belief; grossed me out and made me cringe, all while holding me rapt and furiously turning pages. I Loved it!!!

The second one is Castaways by Brian Keene. A reality show gone wrong. A group of survivor like contestants and a small film crew are stranded on an island. They are not alone.

I loved Salems' Lot. I has to be my favorite. I have to give some mad props to Dracula, which is just really well written, and Peter Benchley for writing Beast. It is a far better book than Jaws.

Ghost Story is the scariest book I've ever read. When I first read the book in 1981, Gregory and Fenny Bate gave me nightmares. When I reread the book in 2010, they still creeped me out. Dr. Rabbitfoot freaked me out as well. It's too bad I haven't enjoyed any of Straub's other works.

But I still ask myself, what's the worst thing I've ever done....

The stand. 1. Because it' s written better than the show. 2. It has a biblical feel. 3. It's made into a graphic novel now.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "House of Leaves" yet *shudder*.

There are so many...where to start. I agree with Steve, Amityville Horror kept me up at night when I first read it. Really scary. Then Pet Cemetary..at the end of the book, when he's sitting at the table and the door opens. His wife puts her hand on his shoulder...ooohhh just totally creeped me out. The Stand was also a creeper.

Don't you just love to be scared?

The Stand. The first part of this book was awesome though.

It's always gonna be Stephen King for me. I'd find it hard to choose really but I guess 'IT' would be up there, along with 'the Tommyknockers', 'The Shining', 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' and 'Gerald's Game'.

I am always on the lookout for new horror authors if anyone can recommend any good ones. I think there are a lot of really bad ones out there so any suggestions??

There are very few of Stephen King's books that do scare me (and I am not quite sure what that says about me!). Pet Sematary scares me so much that I have never been able to finish the book. I have tried several times and failed every time. A tie with Pet Sematary is Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. I can't finish either one.

Now, my favorite horror book that I have read repeatedly is Desperation by Stephen King. The whole idea of being on a family road trip and getting caught up in a good vs. evil battle fascinates me.

Tea The regulators/Desperation are two of my fave King novels, only book ahead is the stand (minus the last two chapters which were kind of pointless)
Jul 23, 2012 11:39AM · flag

The stand. A epic story about the end of the world. This is the way the world ends, with a wimper not a bang. Good stuff.

For me the scariest book was Pet Sematary by Stephen King. Just the thought of dead things coming back to life scares the hell out of me.

Definitely, It. It is one of the most disturbing books I have ever read.

I can't tell which is my fav horror book ever...but I'm pretty sure in the list there will be "The fall of the house of Usher" and "The mask of the red death" by E.A.Poe, "The tommyknockers" and "Salem's lot" by S.King e "Let the right one in" by J.A.Lindqvist...I know I'm forgetting something, but that's it...these are the first that came up in my mind...

More like short stories but the works of H.P Lovecraft. He created a whole religion/scifi world that could be possible and the mood of his stories make you feel dread like you really do have some hidden knowledge you don't realize.

What a great question because it made me pause to really consider what and why. I could think of two. Scott Smith's THE RUINS is one. If you've read it, you can understand. If you haven't read it, then I don't want to say because I don't want to spoil it if you do decide to read it. You learn what's scary about it relatively quickly, but that's all I'll say. The number one book that scared me would have to be Benchley's JAWS. Like the movie did for the masses, that book helped scare the sh*t out of me and still keeps me out of the ocean.

The Stand wins as far as I am concerned. So many possibilities in the real world...

The scariest book that I have ever read is the Amityville Horror.. I read when I was a kid (back in the early 80's), it is the only book that has kept me up at night, probably the statement at the bottom of the book that said, "Based on a true story.." The movies were terrible..

King's IT was pretty scary.

The most recent standout horror book for me is definitely Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. It delivers on some super creep factor and has situations that are really easy to imagine happening to yourself while reading it.