Mid-Continent Public Library discussion

Free Talk > Best first Romance?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (batwater115) | 25 comments I finally started reading Sweet Savage Love Sweet Savage Love (Morgan-Challenger, #1) by Rosemary Rogers . Over the past decade, at least 10 people have told me I HAD to read it because it was thier first (and favorite) romance novel. Another 5 or so swear by The Flame and the Flower The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss and I read that a few months ago.

So, my question is (and there really is one here), what was the first romance novel you remember reading AND is it still your favorite?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (batwater115) | 25 comments Beth wrote: "I finally started reading Sweet Savage LoveSweet Savage Love (Morgan-Challenger, #1) by Rosemary Rogers. Over the past decade, at least 10 people have told me I HAD to read it because it was thier first (and..."

My first was The Road to Avalon The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1) by Joan Wolf by Joan Wolf and yes, it's still my favorite.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

My first romances were Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2) by Judith McNaught Whitney, My Love and Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4) by Philippa Carr Saraband for Two Sisters.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 46 comments Mod
I think my first romance novel was Tears of Gold by Laurie McBain followed closely by The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. The first one I snuck from my mom's collection. Maybe not my favorite but I do love Laurie McBain. Flame and the Flower still one of my favorites.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Dale | 7 comments Beth wrote: "I finally started reading Sweet Savage LoveSweet Savage Love (Morgan-Challenger, #1) by Rosemary Rogers. Over the past decade, at least 10 people have told me I HAD to read it because it was thier first (and..."

Beth wrote: "I finally started reading Sweet Savage LoveSweet Savage Love (Morgan-Challenger, #1) by Rosemary Rogers. Over the past decade, at least 10 people have told me I HAD to read it because it was thier first (and..."

My first romance was also Flame and the Flower. I thought it was wonderful at the time. Now the only historical romances I like are Johanna Lindseys.

message 6: by MH (last edited Nov 23, 2011 06:14AM) (new)

MH (librarian-m) | 236 comments Mod
Sister Secret (Family Ties) (Harlequin Romance, No 3385) by Jessica Steele My first romance book was by Jessica Steele and I got it from the donated paperbacks section of the Metropolitan Library! It was Sister Secret (Family Ties) (a Harlequin) and I was just sold on her stories. I have ALL of her American releases (something like 90+) and 2 autographed copies of her British releases. :)

message 7: by Joni (new)

Joni Stevens (kcmojo22) | 5 comments Kathleen woodwiss. Is the first historical romance author I read 20 yrs ago!!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Mariah wrote: "Sister Secret (Family Ties) (Harlequin Romance, No 3385) by Jessica SteeleMy first romance book was by Jessica Steele and I got it from the donated paperbacks section of the Metropolitan Library! It was [book:Si..."

What a classic cover!

message 9: by MH (new)

MH (librarian-m) | 236 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "What a classic cover!

And I have even more classics on my Jessica Steele shelf. (Yup, got a whole mini-bookcase dedicated to this author.) I think her first was published in the late 70s... :)

The Icicle Heart The Icicle Heart (Harlequin Romance, #2297) by Jessica Steele