Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Encouraging readership

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 40 comments I noticed that my novel "Once in Every Generation" is marked as a "to-be-read" by a couple hundred Goodreads members. Is there a way to find out when they have begun it? or even a good way to light a fire under them to get them to start reading it?
Thank you

message 2: by Peter "PJ" (new)

Peter  "PJ" Jackson | 1 comments http://roadtonow.blogspot.com/2009/11...

It's all about a ghost we actually saw in rural England!

message 3: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments Check your dashboard. If anyone is reading your book, under "to-read" and the number of people, you'll see another tag "currently-reading" with a number. The tag only appears when people have your book marked as currently reading.

message 4: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments Check your dashboard. If anyone is reading your book, under "to-read" and the number of people, you'll see another tag "currently-reading" with a number. The tag only appears when people have your book marked as currently reading.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 40 comments Reena wrote: "Check your dashboard. If anyone is reading your book, under "to-read" and the number of people, you'll see another tag "currently-reading" with a number. The tag only appears when people have your ..."

Got it< reena. Apparently, I am on 191 shelves, but am only on 1 "currently-reading" list. What would you suggest I do to get the other 191 people to read mine. I know that everyone has stacks of books lined up. I was thinking of offering a discount through Smashwords.
Good idea?
I would love your thoughts.
Thanks.
Lauren

message 6: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments Once I went through those who had copies of my book on their shelves and selected a few for free copies. I sent them emails asking if they'd be interested in reviewing within the next 30 days for a few digital copy. I received a few yeses.

A Smashwords coupon could be effective if you have a way of promoting it.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 40 comments Reena wrote: "Once I went through those who had copies of my book on their shelves and selected a few for free copies. I sent them emails asking if they'd be interested in reviewing within the next 30 days for a..."

Thanks, Reena.
Would you be interested in reviewing for a free copy through Smashwords (within the next 30 days)?

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 40 comments Lauren wrote: "Reena wrote: "Once I went through those who had copies of my book on their shelves and selected a few for free copies. I sent them emails asking if they'd be interested in reviewing within the next..."

It's a fast read.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 40 comments Lauren wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Reena wrote: "Once I went through those who had copies of my book on their shelves and selected a few for free copies. I sent them emails asking if they'd be interested in reviewing..."

Sorry to bother you, but how to you identify those people who have marked your books to be read?
Lauren

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 40 comments Lauren wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Reena wrote: "Once I went through those who had copies of my book on their shelves and selected a few for free copies. I sent them emails asking if they'd be interes..."

Please ignore the last question, I just saw how it's done.

message 11: by Suki (new)

Suki Michelle (sukimichelle) | 3 comments Lauren wrote: "I noticed that my novel "Once in Every Generation" is marked as a "to-be-read" by a couple hundred Goodreads members. Is there a way to find out when they have begun it? or even a good way to light..."

Hi Lauren. We have 660 people with our co-written novel on to-read shelves and 3 currently reading. I've wondered the same thing myself and poked around the forums for an answer.

The consensus among readers here is that there is a very low tolerance for author contact. Check the thread I started in the Apocalypse Whenever group entitled What Exactly is Considered Spam.

At first, I was a little frustrated because I, like all authors, want to shout to the world about my novel, but I've learned that GR is not the place to do it, and so, when I come here, I take off my author-hat and wear my reader-hat in all places other than forums specifically set up for authors.

It's been great fun interacting on the forums and making new friends. Eventually, I hope my book will catch on and become a hot topic, but for now, I'm just enjoying the company. That last thing I want to do is be annoying, and around these parts, it doesn't take much.

Best of luck. I hear ya.

Suki

message 12: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hornby (goodreadscomuser_jeanettehornby) | 8 comments If you have a giveaway it is suggested to mark as to-read when you enter the comp. I'm guessing not many people actually have the books.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 40 comments Suki wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I noticed that my novel "Once in Every Generation" is marked as a "to-be-read" by a couple hundred Goodreads members. Is there a way to find out when they have begun it? or even a g..."

Thanks, Suki.
Good advice.

message 14: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments I'm not at all suggesting anyone spam readers here. However, if you have a giveaway going and the individuals are marking your book at "to-read," there's a good chance they'd like to have a copy.

Offering readers who didn't win a digital copy is a nice consolation prize.

You're book does little good on 1002 reading lists, if the readers never gets to it.

message 15: by Suki (new)

Suki Michelle (sukimichelle) | 3 comments Reena wrote: "I'm not at all suggesting anyone spam readers here. However, if you have a giveaway going and the individuals are marking your book at "to-read," there's a good chance they'd like to have a copy.

..."

Ideally, it would be wonderful to find a reader who loves our book and will champion it on our behalf, but I'm TERRIFIED of contacting readers directly, even to offer a free copy.

Am I being paranoid or careful? Who knows!!???

message 16: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments :) I'm apprehensive also. Every time I send an email. Every time I send a newsletter. Every time I send a query. Every time send a friend's request. Will they reject me?

Sometimes you have to take chances. If a reader adds your book to their reading list, that's my clue they want to read it. But if they're reading list is like mine, only a few of the books will actually get read. And if yours doesn't stand out as unique to the 400-3000 other books they have on their list, yours will be forgotten.

Sending a message is a way to get noticed. I've had some readers after receiving an offer of a complimentary copy say they've already purchased a copy, and they'll review within 30 days or 2 months or give a time frame. Just by mentioning the copy is on their reading list is a reminder and can increase the chance of your work being moved closer to the top.

Keep a spreadsheet of those who are more responsive to free offers and emails. That way the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time around, you can concentrate your efforts and avoid annoying those who'd prefer to opt out of solicitations.

message 17: by Suki (new)

Suki Michelle (sukimichelle) | 3 comments Excellent advice, Reena. Thank you !!