The World's Literature: Chile discussion

Brazil > Your Fave 2011 Brazil-Peru books...

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3612 comments After reviewing TWL's Brazil and Peru bookshelves, I think my best-remembered, best-enjoyed titles in 2011 so far are

Brazil:
Brazil or Agotime: Her Legend

Peru:
A World for Julius: A Novel

message 2: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 155 comments oh gosh, i'm still reading! :D

but "A World for Julius" was probably my favorite for Peru.

Agotime is a really special book for me, but i need to re-read it, which i haven't been able to do yet. i hope to finish "Brazil" this year...

so perhaps then, so far, my favorite finished Brazil book is Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands.

message 3: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3612 comments Marieke wrote: "oh gosh, i'm still reading! :D

but "A World for Julius" was probably my favorite for Peru.

Agotime is a really special book for me, but i need to re-read it, which i haven't been able to do yet. ..."

Definitely, Marieke. Quietly sitting here thinking about parts of the Dona Flor story: the life of Flor's neighborhood, the cooking school, the polar opposite personalities of her two husbands, the charming songs and the wondrous spirituality surrounding the orishas. Yes, yes.

message 4: by Mikki (last edited Dec 11, 2011 10:55AM) (new)

Mikki | 89 comments I've added [Book: A World for Julius] to my 52 list as another option.

message 5: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3612 comments Mikki wrote: "I've added [Book: A World for Julius] to my 52 list as another option."

Deep Rivers might be an option as well as "A World for Julius". Both focus on a youth; are, of course, from Peru; and are the tops.