Authors, readers, bloggers, reviewers, publisher group discussion

42 views
Tell us about yourself

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Authors introduce your books to the group members,
readers tell us about what kind of books you like to read most. Tell us about your hobbies or anything you like.
I am a new author of fantasy novels and an "old" author of Alternative Medicine related books. I am an avid reader, although since I started writing Ilona's story, I'm so immersed in her world that I leave very little time for myself to read. I have to admit though that I sneak in couple of pages here and there at work at the Hospital, thanks to my smart phone's ability to hold full size books.
Birthright: ILONA the HUN series, Book One
Passion: Ilona the Hun series, Book two
Keep Your Body Healthy: Achieve good health and keep it too.
Herbal remedies for respiratory & digestive ailments: Healing Herbs
Detox and protect Your Body
Bizarre symptoms


message 2: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) I'm Jex. I run the blog Everything and Nothing. I started the blog as a hobby to waste time at work becauses well, being a security guard gets a bit boring sometimes. Now the blog has gotten bigger and I absolutely love putting up that new post, or talking to another great author. I think I'm addicted. When I'm not blogging or at work I'm avidly searching for a start up job in the event industries or volunteering at the latest geek con. Some that I've worked include GeekGirlCon, Emerald City Comicon, and the Penny Arcade Expo. Such great fun! As for reading, my favorite genres are dystopian/post apocalyptic and paranormal stories, although I branch out to almost any kind of sci-fi or fantasy. Just because a genre isn't on my favorites list doesn't mean I don't read it, I just read less of it :-P


message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (littlekate1) | 10 comments Hi I'm Kate and I am an avid reader. Unsurprisingly I am chasing a career in academia (research more than teaching) which satisfied my thirst for knowledge. It also means that when I get chance I love to read for fun. I will read most sorts of books although particular favourites are historical fiction, classics and books writen by authors in other cultures (or that are based within other cultures). I like some fantasy, crime,some biographical work, as well as my geeky psychological, socilogical and philosophical. Some books I have no idea what genre to class as other than fiction. Maybe I should change my name to geek girl? ;b


message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (littlekate1) | 10 comments Jex wrote: "I'm Jex. I run the blog Everything and Nothing. I started the blog as a hobby to waste time at work becauses well, being a security guard gets a bit boring sometimes. Now the blog has gotten bigger..."

Jex, I've never understood blogs. How do I find them in general? I'm going to have a peek at yours now, hope you don't mind


message 5: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) @Kate - You can search using google for book blogs, but I find the best and easiest way to find blogs is to start with one blog and branch out. Look at what that person is following, or find a hop (a bunch of blogs linked to one post) and dig around until you find what you're looking for. There are also blog networks that a lot of bloggers will join. Also they recently started a searchable database for to link up authors to reviewers. It's in beta so still buggy but check it out at Author EMS


message 6: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments My name is Gladys Quintal, I am 45, have fibromyalgia and am a stay at home mum of 4 kids( 2 of which have left home but I have a 6yr old and 8month old baby at home). Hubby works away 2weeks at a time in the mines so I am home alone a lot. I love writing although it can bit a bit of a challenge with the pain and brain fog associated with FMS and my kids take up a lot of my time! I am an Indie author and published my first novel in September - a total newbie! I have not had any training in being a writer and it just is not feasible at the moment to do any and I cannot afford an editor. I hope readers forgive me my mistakes and enjoy the stories I write.
http://www.amazon.com/Man-my-Dreams-G...


message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Gladys wrote: "My name is Gladys Quintal, I am 45, have fibromyalgia and am a stay at home mum of 4 kids( 2 of which have left home but I have a 6yr old and 8month old baby at home). Hubby works away 2weeks at a ..."
Sorry to hear that you suffer with FMS, it can be very painful and debilitating. There are some useful herbs such as Skullcap or Willow bark to reduce inflammation and Valerian or Chamomile to promote sleep. Acupuncture is successful in most cases to reduce the symptoms as well as daily tai-chi exercises. Adding extra vit. D (up to 800 IU a day), E (400-800 IU)and B complex as well as omega 3 fatty acids are helpful as well. If you're taking medications but would like to try the herbs, message me first. There could be interactions if you're on any medication.


message 8: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Erika wrote: "Gladys wrote: "My name is Gladys Quintal, I am 45, have fibromyalgia and am a stay at home mum of 4 kids( 2 of which have left home but I have a 6yr old and 8month old baby at home). Hubby works aw..."

I can't take Vit D at mo even though I am very low in it as have hyperparathyroidism as well and more vit D will make my calcium increase. On waiting list to get it sorted:) I am on high blood pressure medication too (atacand) and losec for GORD - prob side effects from the HPT but have to take it till they sort the other so there are a lot of things I have to be careful about taking. I used to take valerian years ago before having bp probs and it worked well but am a bit scared now to take anything with a little baby and it sometimes make brain fog worse so I can't write :(


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Gladys wrote: "Erika wrote: "Gladys wrote: "My name is Gladys Quintal, I am 45, have fibromyalgia and am a stay at home mum of 4 kids( 2 of which have left home but I have a 6yr old and 8month old baby at home). ..."

Yes, this is why it's so important to consider everything before using herbs or supplements. With your conditions and medications I would definitely not recommend any, accept the acupuncture and the Tai-chi exercises.Unfortunately, so many people are taking herbs without considering everything first, that is my reason for writing health related books to point out the potential dangers.


message 10: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments I have looked into acupuncture but a bit expensive and I am a bit of a chicken! Chiro helps but I end up a bit sore for a few days after. At the moment I am just dealing - not great but luckily the kids are good:)


message 11: by Literary (new)

Literary | 8 comments Hello I'm Margaret. I am an avid reader. I do not have a blog at present but often read books and review for authors who are members on various online websites such as goodreads. So glad to have found this group. There's some interesting discussions here.


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Margaret wrote: "Hello I'm Margaret. I am an avid reader. I do not have a blog at present but often read books and review for authors who are members on various online websites such as goodreads. So glad to have..."
Welcome Margaret, it is so nice to read that you found our little group interesting. I created the group so we can learn about each other, writers, readers, reviewers and I'm so happy that an editor joined us as well to give us her point of view about the publishing business. Author, including myself are happy for reviews, I personally offer my debut novel for free to those readers who love to read and review. Let me know if you would like to read it, and I'll message you the code.

Birthright: ILONA the HUN series, Book One


message 13: by C.S. (last edited Nov 21, 2011 12:48PM) (new)

C.S. Yelle (csyelle) | 3 comments Hello everyone. I found you all thanks to Margaret who generously read and then reviewed my novel on goodreads. My novel is 7 months out of the gate and I feel doing alright for an unknown author. I am currently working on my second novel in the series and have 3 other completed novels all book 1 in a series. I am more than happy to share ideas here and am anxiously waiting all of your input into what it takes to make it in this world.
I also write screenplays and have had a little success in international competitions.
Sorry to hear about Gladys's fibromyalgia and hope she finds some relief soon.
I enjoy working with a couple of local bookstores here in MN and have done several events with them.
One area I am very proud of is the "Journey of a Book" presentation that I do with a local publisher and the event's planner, a bookstore owner. We talk to kids about the journey of the book from idea to store shelf and try to show them the basics.
Our first event was to a Mentor program and the enthusiasm and excitement in these kids, troubled and in a tough spot as they are, it was definitely inspiring.
I look forward to all your posts in the future.
C.S.Yelle


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

C.S. wrote: "Hello everyone. I found you all thanks to Margaret who generously read and then reviewed my novel on goodreads. My novel is 7 months out of the gate and I feel doing alright for an unknown author...."

Welcome to our group, sounds like you're doing some great things and enjoying it. Feel free to add your books to our bookshelf, so everyone can take a closer look.


message 15: by Literary (new)

Literary | 8 comments Erika wrote: "Margaret wrote: "Hello I'm Margaret. I am an avid reader. I do not have a blog at present but often read books and review for authors who are members on various online websites such as goodreads...."

Thank you Erica I would love to read it!


message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Great, sending the code in message, hope you will enjoy my story


message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Johns | 8 comments Hi all, nice to "meet" you. My name is Rebecca Johns, and I am a second-time author, both novels. My first, Icebergs, was a 2007 PEN/Hemingway finalist. The second, The Countess: A Novel of Elizabeth Bathory, was just released in paperback from Broadway Books and on Audible.com as an audiobook and has been translated into eight languages. I teach creative writing at DePaul University in Chicago.

I'm currently writing an article for the American Society of Journalists and Authors about using social media to promote your work. If anyone has any stories or insights they'd like to share for this article, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!


message 18: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Rebecca wrote: "Hi all, nice to "meet" you. My name is Rebecca Johns, and I am a second-time author, both novels. My first, Icebergs, was a 2007 PEN/Hemingway finalist. The second, The Countess: A Novel of Eliz..."

Oh I so have to get that book - I am fascinated with Elizabeth!!!!! Bit morbid of me I know but I saw a really good documentary on her and actually mentioned her in my book :)


message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Johns | 8 comments Which was the good documentary? The ones I saw were all horrible. Would love a rec for a good one!


message 20: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Rebecca wrote: "Which was the good documentary? The ones I saw were all horrible. Would love a rec for a good one!"

Someone sent it to me on Youtube - I thought it was ok, but then I hadn't heard that much about her before except for a little write up in a vampire book I had. I will see if I can find it but it is prob one of the ones you think are horrible!


message 21: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Gladys wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Which was the good documentary? The ones I saw were all horrible. Would love a rec for a good one!"

Someone sent it to me on Youtube - I thought it was ok, but then I hadn't he..."


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHHpr0...


message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 11 comments Hello!
I'm Elizabeth J. Kolodziej and I am an author. I write the Last Witch Series (PNR) which as two books out, Vampyre Kisses (1) and Werewolf Descent (2). Witch Devotions (3) should be out next year. I also write short stories for anthology contests. One of which is in I Believe in Werewolves and the other should be coming out soon for the christmas season, with Sascha Illyvich as the editor! Sorry But I'm so psyched about him. He's a FAB editor. Anyways, I blog when I can, I help every new author with free advice. Problem is it's up to you to take that advice. :) I am blunt and honest so my critiques may sound a little harsh but I try to say it the best I can. You can find me at:
www.vampyrekisses.com
www.facebook.com/ejkolodziej
@ejkolodziej

Book trailers:
VK: http://youtu.be/vRR08B3xed8
WD: http://youtu.be/gCzQEqKy0x0

I'm always here to help so message me if you ever need anything!

<3's and fangs,
Liz ^_^


message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Johns | 8 comments Gladys wrote: "Gladys wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Which was the good documentary? The ones I saw were all horrible. Would love a rec for a good one!"

Someone sent it to me on Youtube - I thought it was ok, but t..."


Thanks Gladys...no, this one is pretty good, actually includes some of the authors I used in my book. Tru and History channel pieces were the awful ones.


message 24: by Gladys (new)

Gladys Quintal | 26 comments Rebecca wrote: "Gladys wrote: "Gladys wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Which was the good documentary? The ones I saw were all horrible. Would love a rec for a good one!"

Someone sent it to me on Youtube - I thought it ..."


Oh good cos I thought it was pretty good. If you see any others please let me know, I mentioned her in my first book just a little but she is mentioned more in the one I am writing at the moment:)


☕️Kimberly   (kimbacaffeinate) Hi, I am an avid book reader and have a book review blog.
My blog page:
http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewe...
my facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kimbathecaff...
My twitter account: @kimbacaffeinate.
I love all genres, but am partial to paranormal, mystery and any type of romance.


message 26: by Candy (new)

Candy Little (candy-ann) | 5 comments Hi, I'm Candy I write Christian romance and some general mysteries. My historical romance "The Unwilling Bride" is out in both e-book and paperback. I have a mystery novella "Death By Broken Heart" coming out next month. I'm excited to learn about other authors, promotions, and reviews.


message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan Hira Hi, I'm Susan and I write for young adult / middle grade. My book "The Werwolf on Eagle's Nest Mountain" is a story about a group of teens who go on a skiing and snowboarding trip only to find themselves in the midst of a World War II mystery. I'm writing the sequel now.

My book is available on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

Book trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za9zQz...

Blog: http://susan-hira.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @SusanHira

Current Goodreads giveaway:
http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

Nice to meet everyone!


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Candy wrote: "Hi, I'm Candy I write Christian romance and some general mysteries. My historical romance "The Unwilling Bride" is out in both e-book and paperback. I have a mystery novella "Death By Broken Heart"..."

Welcome in the group Candy, feel free to start new topics, meet other authors and readers


message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan wrote: "Hi, I'm Susan and I write for young adult / middle grade. My book "The Werwolf on Eagle's Nest Mountain" is a story about a group of teens who go on a skiing and snowboarding trip only to find the..."

Hi Susan, welcome in the group, join us in the conversation and if you have new things to add, feel free to start new topics


message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Hira Erika wrote: "Susan wrote: "Hi, I'm Susan and I write for young adult / middle grade. My book "The Werwolf on Eagle's Nest Mountain" is a story about a group of teens who go on a skiing and snowboarding trip on..."

Thanks, Erika!


message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments C.S. wrote: "Hello everyone. I found you all thanks to Margaret who generously read and then reviewed my novel on goodreads. My novel is 7 months out of the gate and I feel doing alright for an unknown author...."

Well, C.S. I review books and have been helping out with this group a lot, so if you need help with reviewing let me know! :)


message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Hello to everyone here! Most of you already know me :) I'm Stephanie and I am a new reviewer. I work part-time for Hobby Lobby and volunteer at my local library to help them choose which books they should buy! If anyone needs a book reviewed or knows anyone else who might, just let me know and I'm on it. I'm currently reading about 6 books right now and have a semi-full docket but still let know because your book just might be one I can't live without reading! :)


message 33: by Candy (new)

Candy Little (candy-ann) | 5 comments Would you be interested in a Christian, historical romance? "The Unwilling Bride." I also have a general mystery/romance coming out soon.


message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Candy wrote: "Would you be interested in a Christian, historical romance? "The Unwilling Bride." I also have a general mystery/romance coming out soon."

Sure! That's sounds great. I read a lot of historical romances, as well as mysteries too.


message 35: by Candy (new)

Candy Little (candy-ann) | 5 comments Great!! Where do you want me to send the info?


message 36: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Candy wrote: "Great!! Where do you want me to send the info?"

Is it an e-book or a hard copy? If it's an e-book, then to sweetheart8181@yahoo.com and if it's a hard copy then to:
Stephanie Cook
1418 SW Armagh St
Topeka, KS 66611


message 37: by Candy (new)

Candy Little (candy-ann) | 5 comments Thanks!! I just emailed the smashword link and free code.


message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 14 comments Thank you so much Candy!


message 39: by Candy (new)

Candy Little (candy-ann) | 5 comments Thank you!!


message 40: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Johns | 8 comments Gladys wrote: "If you see any others please let me know, I mentioned her in my first book just a little but she is mentioned more in the one I am writing at the moment:)

What ARE you writing at the moment? Inquiring minds want to know!


message 41: by Joanne (last edited Dec 14, 2011 02:41PM) (new)

Joanne Zienty | 3 comments Hi, I'm Joanne Zienty, writer, reader, librarian/teacher. I just published my first novel in late September: The Things We Save. It is available on the giveaway list. I am thinking I probably selected too long a window for the giveaway. It doesn't close until March. I got a positive review from Kirkus Review and have been getting good feedback from a few book clubs who have chosen my book for their monthly discussions. I love the reviews I read on Goodreads.

Website with blog: http://www.joannezienty.com/

Book review: http://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-rev...

Look forward to reading future posts!

Thanks


message 42: by Somanyebooks.com (new)

Somanyebooks.com | 3 comments Hello, my name is Wanda. I have a new ebook store, Somanyebooks.com. We're just starting out, trying to attract more publishers and authors. Our aim isn't to be another Amazon, but more of a neighborhood bookstore online.
Feel free to check us out! I love getting feedback.
http://www.somanyebooks.com/


message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol Cassada (carolcassada) | 8 comments Hi, my name's Carol Cassada and I've been writing for about three years. My first book Going Home Again was released by Romance Divine. But I've recently published the Westmore series through Createspace.

As a newcomer I've learned how tough the industry is, it's a pain in the neck. But I'm not giving up, I'm moving forward with my dream.

Website:http://www.carolcassada.net/


message 44: by Harold (new)

Harold Titus (haroldtitus) My name is Harold Titus. My historical novel, "Crossing the River," is about the traumatic experiences of redcoat soldiers and rebel Americans caught up in the Battles of Lexcington and Concord April 19, 1775. I just concluded a 3-book giveaway and hope to have interested readers review the book.


message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Carol wrote: "Hi, my name's Carol Cassada and I've been writing for about three years. My first book Going Home Again was released by Romance Divine. But I've recently published the Westmore series through Creat..."

Welcome to our group Carol. Never give up following your dreams, that's my motto in life too:)


message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Harold wrote: "My name is Harold Titus. My historical novel, "Crossing the River," is about the traumatic experiences of redcoat soldiers and rebel Americans caught up in the Battles of Lexcington and Concord Ap..."

Welcome to the group Harold. Post the link to your book and to the giveaway, it makes it easier for us to find it.


message 47: by Harold (new)

Harold Titus (haroldtitus) Thank you, Erika. The link to my author's page on my publisher's website is
http://booklocker.com/books/5692.html. My Goodreads profile page is http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/....


message 48: by Chris (new)

Chris Griffith (CAGriffith) | 1 comments Hi everyone. I'm Chris Griffith and I live in the metro Atlanta area. I've spent 28 years in law enforcement and recently got around to writing my first crime novel that will be released this summer. I look forward to promoting it here. The title is "Code of Misconduct". If you like sarcastic cops, you might enjoy the book :-)

Here's my site:
www.authorcagriffith.com


back to top