A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Hodor?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments I was wondering what everyone thought about our favourite monosyllabic giant. Do you think that there may be more to him? Or is he just a simpleton stableboy? Are there any theories among ASOIAF fandom, given Martin's fondness of hiding clues unobtrusively in plain sight.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I love Hodor. Yes he is developmentally challenged but I think he has proven his worth as Bran's protector. one thing I learned is you can never know who someone truly is. You think you know a character and then they do something uncharacteristic. I don't think we seen the last of Hodor.

message 3: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments You think he turn out to be some royal bastard or something or have a spell placed on him so he only says one word, or is that reading too much?:p

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I don't think it is any spell. However, he could be heir to some lost royal family.

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) Or maybe some SUPER giant child of the forest? Or some kinda guardian... Cos he is Old Nans grandson right? & she has been around since waaaaayyyyy back.

message 6: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Yeah how Old is Old Nan anyhow, wasn't she Old when Eddard was young?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments No one knows how old Old Nan is.

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) Think she has always been old but came around when a Brandon was young. (Don't think it's Ned's brother & don't think it's Bran the Builder. So, somewhere in between)

message 9: by Woolfie (last edited Nov 23, 2011 04:21PM) (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Is it a Brandon, or could it possibly be Brynden, maybe Brynden was an old spelling for Brandon? And that Hoster was feeling nostalgic when he named the Blackfish!( probably not)

message 10: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) Maggie wrote: "Or maybe some SUPER giant child of the forest? Or some kinda guardian... Cos he is Old Nans grandson right? & she has been around since waaaaayyyyy back."

Agree. but does that mean that Old Nan is also descended from Children of the Forest?

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) Ohhhh. That's a neat theory Arianne. Did she die during the sack of Winterfell? Or is it just assumed? I forget.

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) Woolfie wrote: "Is it a Brandon, or could it possibly be Brynden, maybe Brynden was an old spelling for Brandon? And that Hoster was feeling nostalgic when he named the Blackfish!( probably not)"

I thought Hoster Tully was the Blackfish's brother? Man, there are SOOOO many characters. I can't image reading these books w/ out the wiki. :P

message 13: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments I don't recall reading that Nan was killed at Winterfell, but she certainly hasn't turned up since the fall of the North, and you're right the Wiki is dead useful if you miss something or need to refresher.
And yes Hoster was Brynden the Blackfish's brother, but I was wondering if he was named after the '3-eyed crow'or whether Brynden was a variation of Brandon.

message 14: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) Oh man, I forgot that!! Prolly cos we got so little of Bran in Dance. This sounds like a job for http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/... WIKI!!! lol.

message 15: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments I have a feeling I'll need to refer to that when Winds of Winter comes out:p And speaking of which is anyone slightly put of by the use of 'The' as opposed to 'A'?
It's probably really, really picky, but I like the fact that all the books so far has followed the formula 'A something of/with something'

message 16: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) Woolfie wrote: "And speaking of which is anyone slightly put of by the use of 'The' as opposed to 'A'?
It's probably really, really picky, but I like the fact that all the books so far has followed the formula 'A something of/with something "

It does seem a bit off. The series is titled "A" Song of Ice and Fire after all. *chuckles

message 17: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments But I suppose if A Dance with Dragons departs from the 'A something of something' formula, then The Winds of Winter is OK:P

message 18: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) & a feast FOR crows... if it was of that would be gross. :P

message 19: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) A wind of winter? doesn't sound right.

message 20: by Woolfie (last edited Nov 28, 2011 06:47AM) (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Maggie and Jax, I agree with you both:)
Though I wouldn't mind reading a book titled 'A Feast of Crows' lol could be a dark retelling of a famous rhyme:p

message 21: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) What I do think is that it's sounding pretty final, so he's moving from A..which is non specific indefinite article to THE which is a definite article. I don't know where I'm going with this... but I like the finality of it, even though I know there are more books. What are the next ones called again?

message 22: by Woolfie (last edited Nov 28, 2011 07:13AM) (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Yes you're right about the sounding final bit, Are the other book titles finalised or out yet? I only know of TWOW:)

Speaking of which it would be interesting to see if Hodor had any backstory relevant to the overall plot, because I doubt very much if MArtin includes characters just to fill up pages!

message 23: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) A Dream of Spring is the 7th ...and final book.

Originally titled "A Time For Wolves", as GoodReads tells me...that's actually saying a lot for the Stark fans.

message 24: by Woolfie (last edited Nov 28, 2011 07:20AM) (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Given the nature of the books it'd feel a bit strange to finally see 'the End' since you get the feeling that the events that are chronicled are ongoing and will continue to go on, even after the books are done.

message 25: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Or it could go the way of The Wheel of Time, or The Malazan Book of the Fallen, but it'd have to remain as interesting as it is, or if possible, get better, a lull in between would not be good.

message 26: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) I really hope it doesn't do either of those things. What sacrilege. The only time I think that's okay is when the author dies before finishing the series.

message 27: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Indeed, and I'm pretty sure Martin will give the series a more than satisfying climax with shocking revelations aplenty!

message 28: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) Everybody dies. THE END.

message 29: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Aww thanks Jax for spoiling it for everybody else! Haha

message 30: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) That's actually going to be the entire books of A Dream of Spring. It will only be 10 pages, most of those pages being Title Page, Copyright, Acknowledgments and About the Author and one page that just says "everybody dies"

message 31: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Thank the Stranger it isn't!

message 32: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) lol. So, it'll be like Hamlet? ps G-d save us from fanfiction!!

message 33: by Arianne (last edited Nov 30, 2011 12:10AM) (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) just for kicks. if everybody dies, who do you suppose will be the last one to go out?

message 34: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Hodor! Who else?

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael (surfermikel) Elizabeth wrote: "That's true. Even when Martin finally ends the series, I think it's a safe bet that the series will be continued in some way, whether through fanfiction on the internet or those novels you see some..."

Martin has said he is opposed to fan fiction. Doesn't want anyone else messing with his characters.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Well hew can't control that and it will hbappen if the fans want to do it.

message 37: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) No way! Tyrion will be the last.

message 38: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments And a good thing he is, too, but as long as it is unpublished fan fiction there's little he can actually do to stop it really, unless he hires internet trolls to rove the fansites or something.

Naah Hodor will see the Iron Throne, think it's a chair, and sit on it not seeing Tyrion and squish him before leaning back and being impaled by the blades and barbs. Last words of the book; 'Hooooddddooooor!!!' Poor fella :(

message 39: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) Bwahahahaha!!

message 40: by Woolfie (last edited Dec 01, 2011 05:45PM) (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Absolutely right Elizabeth, but it'll probably happen though, if it hasn't already.

message 41: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Aye, as suspected I daresay.

message 42: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Yes, it's not the easiest to write fan fiction for, you'd need an in depth knowledge of heraldry, lineage and history for starters, to even think of doing a halfway decent job of it.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I am not opposed to there being fanfiction.

message 44: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Neither am I, just that it would probably pale in comparison to the complexity of the originals.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments So what, it's the fanfic author's interpretation of the books.

message 46: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Yes I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but it won't be considered official or canonical, but there'd be not much wrong if you were inspired to write fanfic because you loved the book:)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I'm not saying it has to be official. Just for fun. I wrote a book and it was originally a fanfic.

message 48: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 392 comments Oh really, a fanfic of what? Any way I'd be able to give it a look?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I wrote a fantasy book in a medival society with a Greek pantheon.

« previous 1 3