College Students! discussion

Life (Non-college/book talk) > Holiday Causes

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I know we have a thread for causes we all support, but thought this would be a fun one.

Do any of you support a cause that only happens during the holiday season? Is there certain volunteer experiences that are tradition for you?

message 2: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
We had some kids come to our door last night on a Scavenger Hunt. This hunt was for a list of food items for Thanksgiving Dinner. Totally cool twist on a can food drive. It made it fun for the kids. We tried to give them the most unusual thing on their list so they could "win".

We have a local boys home that does Thanksgiving Dinner for whoever wants to come. It started out just for the homeless but a lot of people that don't have family in the area or at all, and those that have made it a tradition to help out there have made it grow huge.

This year, my nephew who is 9, told his mom that a kid in his class doesn’t have any money. He says that he always wears the same pants to school, and asked if he could give him some of his. Problem, the other kid is bigger than my nephew. So totally out of character for this nephew, but it gave us the idea. We are going to try to buy a coat and a pair of jeans for each kid in the household. There are 11 kids that live in that house.

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker The year I was president of the English Club, I got a person off of the Angel Tree and organized the club to support her. I felt really good doing that.

message 4: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Just saw this on Facebook: It is encouraging those that send out Christmas Cards to add one to their list and mail it to a wounded soldier.

A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Fort Belvoir Community Hospital
9300 DeWitt Loop
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060