Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > question #79: Thinking Ahead

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
I was looking through the Goodreads 2011 Choice Awards and thinking that I missed out on a lot of good books this year.

My mind has wandered a few times towards the concept of reading only books published in 2012 in 2012. (Though January might be a little light.)

Is anyone else considering a new twist for next year's challenge?

message 2: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) That's a pretty cool idea!

I'm probably just going to do the same thing as this year, only less rushed since I won't be starting in July this time. Yesterday I downloaded 227 more books in the series I'm reading, so that's going to last me a good long time, especially as I'll be interspersing with classics and PNR to keep from getting bored.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 408 comments One of the things I like is the A-Z challenges. Last year I read 26 books each beginning with a different letter. This year I did it with author's last names. Next year I'm going to try to do both (but one book could be used on both lists). This has been a great way to get me to read things I might not normally pick up.

message 4: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
227 books in one series, Michelle? What are you reading?

message 5: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 766 comments Faye wrote: "227 books in one series, Michelle? What are you reading?"
Ah, "series" - one of those tricky words. Michelle could have meant 1 series or 30 different series, and it's still the same word!

message 6: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 766 comments Next year, I'm planning to participate in more challenges (other than just the total number read). I'm hoping that will help me curb my reading "randomness" and deal with more from the TBR list!

message 7: by Mekerei (new)

Mekerei | 204 comments I'm intrigued too Michelle. I had trouble reading "The Sword of Truth", just 13 books. But I do know when you have a great series you never want it to end, or you want to know more about a minor character - the joys of being lost in a great series

message 8: by X. Natasha (new)

X. Natasha (xenli) | 1 comments Wow, this actually gave me an idea. I think I might try to read one book from a different year starting with a book that is 25 years old and working my way up (and then the other 25 books would be "free choice"). I have so many books on my "to-read" list so I don't want to limit myself too much.

message 9: by Cloudedleopard (new)

Cloudedleopard | 114 comments For 2012 I'm planning to give the A-Z challenge a try, the rest of 24 books should be a mix of countries. I really would like to have more insight into japanese, australian, swiss, norwegian... literature.
So "26 books = A-Z books" and "24 books = 24 countries" is my goal.

message 10: by Faye (last edited Nov 18, 2011 07:33AM) (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Cloudedleopard wrote: "For 2012 I'm planning to give the A-Z challenge a try, the rest of 24 books should be a mix of countries. I really would like to have more insight into japanese, australian, swiss, norwegian... lit..."

That sounds like a neat goal, cloudedleopard. If you haven't already read her, you might like Natsuo Kirino. I read a few and really admired Out

message 11: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Cloudedleopard wrote: "For 2012 I'm planning to give the A-Z challenge a try, the rest of 24 books should be a mix of countries. I really would like to have more insight into japanese, australian, swiss, norwegian... lit..."

I think I'll do the same, at least in terms of countries. You can never get too much foreign literature. Hm...the A-Z may give me some of the structure that I lack and choosing my next book. I'll have to think on that.

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Faye wrote: "That sounds like a neat goal, cloudedleopard. If you haven't already read her, you might like Natsuo Kirino. I read a few and really admired Out "

Oh heyyy, just realized. It turns out I read Out already and had completely forgotten about it till now. Thank you Faye for reminding me :D

message 13: by michelle+8 (last edited Nov 18, 2011 11:35AM) (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Faye wrote: "227 books in one series, Michelle? What are you reading?"

Ann wrote: "Ah, "series" - one of those tricky words. Michelle could have meant 1 series or 30 different series, and it's still the same word!"

Mekerei wrote: "I'm intrigued too Michelle. I had trouble reading "The Sword of Truth", just 13 books. But I do know when you have a great series you never want it to end, or you want to know more about a minor character - the joys of being lost in a great series"

LOL, y'all are going to think I'm a major geek, but it's ok because I am! :D I'm reading the Doctor Who books. In total it's 469 books (not counting exclusive audio books, radio plays, spin-offs, and fan novelisations), which is technically divided into 8 different series, based on who published them and whether they are set during the classic series, the new series, or in between. I just finished my 15th book, so I have a long, long, long way to go! ;)

Honestly, there's probably a good chance that I will never finish them all (even if I read nothing but Doctor Who, at 50 books a year it would take almost 10 years!) But it's fun to try, right? :D

message 14: by Sooz (new)

Sooz personally i find it hard to do a specific challenge and keep to it. i am constantly be drawn to books that i hear mentioned, or read a review on, new publications of favourtite authors..... even the cover art or title of a random book on the library shelf. BUT .... my sister and i are visiting
Russian next summer, and so the first half of my 2012 challenge will definitely include reading lots about this country.

message 15: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments Michelle wrote: "Faye wrote: "227 books in one series, Michelle? What are you reading?"

Ann wrote: "Ah, "series" - one of those tricky words. Michelle could have meant 1 series or 30 different series, and it's sti..."

Awesome...One of my jobs is working in a used book store and I am in a constant battle to keep the Dr Who books in their own section.

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments There are some very good ideas here. I've been trying to figure out "the goal" for 2012. I think that I have decided on number of pages rather than number of books. I have wanted to read some of the larger books on my list after getting through Les Miserables this year. When you have a number of books based goal though this can be a sacrifice towards that because they can take so much longer. I think the pages aspect would mitigate that.

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments Hey all . . . I hadn't planned to put a twist on my challenge (it too me three years to make it to 50 . .. it's not yet Turkey Day and I"m on 46!!) but I LOVE Natasha's idea! I think I'll try to read one from each year, too . . . and fill in 25 others along the way. Thanks for the idea, Natasha!

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments The idea of the "Alphabet of Author's names" sounded fun as well.

message 19: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Tim wrote: "Awesome...One of my jobs is working in a used book store and I am in a constant battle to keep the Dr Who books in their own section."

LOL, I bet that's a big job! ;)

Tim wrote: "There are some very good ideas here. I've been trying to figure out "the goal" for 2012. I think that I have decided on number of pages rather than number of books. I have wanted to read some of the larger books on my list after getting through Les Miserables this year. When you have a number of books based goal though this can be a sacrifice towards that because they can take so much longer. I think the pages aspect would mitigate that. "

That's a very good idea, and I seriously considered doing the same myself. If Goodreads made it an option for their official Reading Challenge, I would so jump on it! But, I'm lazy, and prefer to let them keep track for me -- without having to make sure the page numbers are correct on all the books I read, LOL!

Anyway, I figured that since I have pretty much read 50 books in six months this year (I'd only read 5 before July, and I'm almost done!), I'm sure I'll have enough extra time to read a few nice, long classics next year. :)

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments Michelle wrote: "Tim wrote: "Awesome...One of my jobs is working in a used book store and I am in a constant battle to keep the Dr Who books in their own section."

LOL, I bet that's a big job! ;)

Tim wrote: "Ther..."

How are you managing to get all of the books? I know the BBC sells a lot of them but they are not common here. You mentioned downloading them...are they easily found?

message 21: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Tim wrote: "How are you managing to get all of the books? I know the BBC sells a lot of them but they are not common here. You mentioned downloading them...are they easily found?"

I found them here.

message 22: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments Bookmarked! And thank you.

message 23: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments I've been thinking that I have to read all the unread books I actually own. That's 50 easily. But then something new & shiny will come out and - look a chicken!
I'm sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, so I'm thinking only books I own. Until the last Guardian book comes out. And the next Elder Races. And the next IAD. And the next Guild Hunter... wait, I bet I could get to 50 just reading the next book in the multitude of series I'm following.

message 24: by Mekerei (new)

Mekerei | 204 comments Donna I know exactly how you feel LOL

message 25: by Mekerei (last edited Dec 29, 2011 07:00PM) (new)

Mekerei | 204 comments I'll like to have a theme for my 50 Challenge in 2012; I’m going to read mainly series, the exception will be the books for groups I belong to.

My favourite Christmas present is my Kindle. This will make it my twist easier to achieve (I don’t like to read a series if I can’t get all the titles).

I've downloaded the first book for 2012 - A for Alibi by Sue Grafton (that’s 22 of my 50 books for 2012 LOL).

The dilemma is which series to start first, Game of Thrones ; or an old favourite of Moties by Larry Niven.

The choices are endless!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Out (other topics)
Out (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Natsuo Kirino (other topics)