Amazon Kindle discussion

Kindle Touch

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments I just received my Kindle Touch yesterday, and am getting used to it now. Still have my Kindle Keyboard, haven't decided to keep it or not, but probably will. The Touch is nice, I need to spend some more time with it before I can make a decision about whether I like it better than the K3 or not. I'm having a hard time getting used to paying attention and not accidentally touching the screen, need to put it to sleep when I'm done reading and I've never done that before.

There is no progress bar across the bottom of the screen when you are reading. The Location number is to the far left, the % has been moved to the bottom right corner. The "pinching" feature to make text larger or smaller is awesome. Dictionary feature is great, just touch the word and the description comes up.

I sure do miss having my lighted cover though. Might have to break down and get one of those after the holidays.

Anybody else just received their Touch? What do you think? All the excitement seems to be over the Fire!

message 2: by Mahlon (new)

Mahlon (mahlon32) | 14 comments Mine will be here at some point today :)

I ordered a lighted cover, and am very disappointed that it won't be arriving at the same time as my Kindle, does anyone have any idea when these might ship?

--Mahlon--

MsBDiamondDiva1 | 2 comments Everyone is saying that it isn't as bad as "we" think. That it will take some time to get use to. I am trying to make a choice between the Touch or the Fire:-)

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciawf) My Kindle Touch came on Tuesday and I really love it. My favorite feature of the KT is that pinch thing that lets you change font size without going into the menu. The voice for the text-to-speech seems improved. It sounds less mechanical. My K2 will be passed on to a friend. I am not sad to see it go! Have not been tempted by the Fire since I want a device for reading only. For my part, the Kindle Touch is altogether lovely!!

MsBDiamondDiva1 | 2 comments Thanks for the info...I will try to make a choice soon:-) Whatever choice I make it will be for Christmas:-) Happy Reading!!!

message 6: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) Patricia, so happy for you. I'm jealous. ENJOY!

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 267 comments i want a kindle touch

message 8: by Helen (new)

Helen Pinching for size sounds good as does the dictionary. Don't think it's available in the UK. They seem to be flogging the cheap model though.

message 9: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 84 comments I love my Kindle keyboard but if Kindle Fire gets 3G then I will get that too.

message 10: by Karen M (new)

Karen M My Kindle Touch is charging as I type. It arrived about 2 hours ago. So far it seems pretty straight forward but I did print out the User Guide.

message 11: by Vernessa (new)

Vernessa Fernandes (wetmokakisses) | 11 comments I actually picked up the fire on Tuesday....one downside is that it is much heavier than the Kindle 3. I love the color and the touch features. Kind of disappointed that most of the apps that Amazon has is not compatible with the Fire. I guess eventually they will be. I am still playing with it, so the reviews for those still trying to decide on which one to get will be coming.....it is a beautiful little thing though. I have to buy all new accessories as the Kindle 3 cover fits with just a little hang over, dont want to chance having any accidents.

Everyone enjoy your new Kindles, and for those still waiting, the Kindle elves are set to deliver on December 25. :)

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 243 comments Mahlon wrote: "Mine will be here at some point today :)

I ordered a lighted cover, and am very disappointed that it won't be arriving at the same time as my Kindle, does anyone have any idea when these might shi..."

I think I saw on Kindleboards where the lighted covers aren't expected until some time mid-December.

message 13: by Loren (new)

Loren | 40 comments i have my kindle touch 3G and its an absolute pleasure to use. A few points

1) Maybe its just me going from a covered K2Int to an uncovered KT but its hard to get a good grip on it
2) I am a little upset that the little progress bar doesn't give me a final location for where the book ends. I know I have a percentage but I feel a bit of disconnect regarding how far I have to go
3) I'm rather upset i can't highlight past the current page and have to spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out how to get it on a page so I can highlight what I want
4) Does anyone else notice a poor refresh rate? When I flip pages a number of times i can still read the previous page from the new page (its faint but I can still see it). Also even shutting my kindle down from the menu page I can read the menu still. It's off but the screen is still a little odd - does anyone else have that problem?

message 14: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 267 comments Heard this on NPR today: amazon is losing money on kindle fire, since it costs 200.00 to make, but they are hoping to recover the cost through book sales.

message 15: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 15 comments I purchased my kindle touch a few days ago and I LOVE it. It is my first Kindle purchase and I am very pleased with it. My husband got the Fire and it is very awesome also. My thing is I wanted the battery life. I just want to be able to read on mine since I use my laptop for everything else. I am busy downloading books now and can't wait to get reading.

message 16: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 15 comments Loren wrote: "i have my kindle touch 3G and its an absolute pleasure to use. A few points

1) Maybe its just me going from a covered K2Int to an uncovered KT but its hard to get a good grip on it
2) I am a littl..."

Yes, I definately understand what you are talking about. This is my first Kindle, but I thought is was strange that you could see the previous screen.

message 17: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Sonya wrote: "Heard this on NPR today: amazon is losing money on kindle fire, since it costs 200.00 to make, but they are hoping to recover the cost through book sales."

Amazon loses money on all of their devices. They make all of their profit on book sales for their kindles.

message 18: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 2 comments Is getting the Kindle Touch worth it? I'm getting that and I'm hoping it's going to be good. I've always been partial to reading actual book so this is a huge transition for me.

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen | 60 comments Those cost breakdowns don't take into account economy of scale. Amazon can get better prices for the components. Also it is worth loosing a little bit of money to gain new customers. I believe BN and Kobo will be out of business at some point and Apple and Amazon will be the last ones standing in the tablet market. Amazon's books and Magazines beat Apple and it is nice to have 48 hours to watch videos.

Karen

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina Boscha (tinaboscha) | 19 comments I really want to play with the Touch and the Fire. I don't think I'll end up with a Fire but the Touch intrigues me. When I first messed around with a Kindle, my instinct was to use it as a touch screen device. I have the keyboard version, and I must admit now that I have it, I think I'd miss being able to type and keep notes, etc.

message 21: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) I wouldn't count BN out just yet. I love my kindle and own over a hundred kindle books so I don't plan on switching. But the nook touch is a really nice device, if I could read all of my amazon content on it easily with nice syncing I'd be tempted. We just need to get to a point where content from all of the companies can be read on all of the devices (like how music works)

message 22: by Granna (new)

Granna  (grannareads) | 7 comments I got the Fire as soon as it was released and I'm in love with it! I had the original Kindle for a little over a year before that. It is a little heavier, enough to notice, but I'm getting used to that. I've never had a touch screen, never cared for them with phones so never had one, but I'm getting to really like the touch screen features on the fire. And I love the dictionary feature with just a touch! It still has a keyboard you can pull up with a touch and type notes, etc. And of course all the other extras-the music, the movies, the color magazines, surfing the web in color, the apps, it's just awesome. I've been glued to it since it got here! I do have to charge it every night and with my original I could go weeks without charging. But that's not an issue, I would expect to need to do that with all the things it's doing. I still turn off the wireless when I'm not online and don't care to keep up with my emails. That was another pleasant surprise to me-I didn't know I could set up my email account and facebook on it! It really is like a mini computer and I'm having a ball with it.

message 23: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 59 comments B's wrote: "I got the Fire as soon as it was released and I'm in love with it! I had the original Kindle for a little over a year before that. It is a little heavier, enough to notice, but I'm getting used to ..."

I don't have a Fire as I had already purchased the ipad2 before the Fire came out. While I love the tablet computer I don't use it as a reader often because it is a little heavy and I love my K3 for reading. What I have found since owning the iPad is that I tend to spend more time with email, Facebook, Goodreads and surfing the Internet than I did when I had to sit at a desk where I had my laptop set up. It sort of annoys me that I now have to discipline myself to get back to my book and turn away from all of the distractions available to me on the tablet. At least I am not much of a gamer or I would lose hours.

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 58 comments I pre-ordered the 3G Touch and have been loving it. It took a little bit to get used to the features because I was jumping from a K1 (which is now being kept as my backup reader), but I think I have it down now. I got the lighted leather cover, and it is serviceable and protects it, but I'm not totally in love with it. Might have to change that at some point.

I'd looked at the Fire, but decided against it mainly because it was only wi-fi and I really wanted the 3G option, and also because I was really looking for an e-reader. One of the things I've loved about Kindles is the e-ink page, which is very easy on the eyes, especially if you spend all day on a computer for work.

I have grabbed a couple of games and have had fun with them, but I'm having more fun with the fact that I an now organize my books into folders and keep things nice and neat (something that was not an option on the K1).

I only turn the wireless connection on when I'm looking for a book, so the battery is holding pretty well. The light drains it a bit, but depending on where I'm sitting, I don't always have to use it, so it isn't too much of an issue.

message 25: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Stack (destack) | 1 comments Loren wrote: "i have my kindle touch 3G and its an absolute pleasure to use. A few points

2) I am a littl..."

If you go into settings and change your screen refresh rate, you can make it refresh on every page turn, as opposed to every five turns, which is the default. That might help a little with shadow text.

When I want to highlight between pages, I just pinch the text down a size, highlight the section I need, and then pinch the text back up!

message 26: by Loren (new)

Loren | 40 comments So quick update, two weeks ago I finally called Amazon because the screen had gotten worse not better (I literally could read the previous page through the new page). They replaced it, no questions, no problems, and my new kindle works perfectly. I'm very happy with it and I highly recommend it. And once you get used to how to work it, its done without a second thought. Ironically I'm now doing kindle touch commands on my iPad

Kristine (fezabel) (fezabel) | 4 comments I have a Kindle 3G Touch & love it. I've never had a Kindle before so I have nothing for comparison. I love having lots of books with me everywhere in a small cover. So much fun!

message 28: by Lan (new)

Lan (cloudsmaker) | 2 comments i just ordered my Kindle Touch,but I'm worried about the lack of the landscape mode view for pdf reading...
Convince me, please that it's still nonetheless a good choice...:c

see the drawback here - http://youtu.be/okPW9eD4K2U

message 29: by Cassie (last edited Dec 19, 2011 07:00PM) (new)

Cassie | 2 comments I'm really loving my Kindle Touch. It is admittedly the first Kindle I've had, so I can't say how it compares to the others, but it sure beats carrying around 3 books in my purse. I have accidentally clicked to go to a different page a time or two, and so it does require a bit of care in that sense. Otherwise no issues.

message 30: by Lan (new)

Lan (cloudsmaker) | 2 comments Mandee wrote: "@Lan, you can email yourself the PDF files at your kindle email address, however email it to @free.kindle.com, and enter Convert into the subject bar. Then you can adjust the font and read it like ..."

i will see how this is gonna work when it's gonna be delivered to me :) but thanks for the response.

message 31: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 58 comments The only thing I've noticed about my new Touch is that the indexing can be a little wonky. I ended up having to take it out of the lighted cover (the one sold by Amazon) and plug it in to get my books to finish indexing. Not sure if there's a glitch somewhere or if it's just a quirk with my Kindle. CS at Amazon said they hadn't heard anything about it, but thought I'd pass that along in case anyone else has problems.

message 32: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 2 comments I was so against the Kindle in general but I decided to try it. I got this for Christmas and I absolutely love it so far. It is still like reading a book minus the great feel of a book. I was really surprised at how much I liked it...now, I'm going to be reading A Game of Thrones without having to drag the heavy books everywhere with me :-)

message 33: by Ida (new)

Ida Davis | 3 comments I got a Kindle Touch and i love it . i also have a literati ereader and i love both

message 34: by Carla (new)

Carla (theremightbecupcakes) I received a Touch for Christmas, and I am in love with it. I've even looked at the e-ink under the microscope. :D

I've pillaged the free classics on Amazon--I've only had it since Christmas Day, and it has ~ 170 books on it, all but 2 being free!