Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive - Games > 12 Books of Christmas - Official Rules

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8765 comments Mod
The game will officially start 1 December however will not have an official end date because it's December, it's the holiday season and I'm sure everybody will be super busy! That being said however, the first to finish the challenge will receive a little prize (a late Christmas present from me – late because I don’t think I can get it to you before Christmas).

As the name of the game hinted, you will be required to read 12 books for this challenge. More details of rules / criterias coming soon...

message 2: by Tien (new)

The criterias for books to be read will be books with titles starting with certain letters. The letters when strung together will spell out a 'phrase'.

Anyone would like to guess what this 'phrase' is?

message 3: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments Love this idea!
I'll take a stab: Happy Holiday

message 4: by Melody (new)

Melody | 12 comments How about Merry Christmas

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Feliz navidad? :)

message 6: by Tien (new)

Melody, there are 14 letters in Merry Christmas ;)

Jamie, what language would that be? does that mean Merry Christmas?

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) Karen, Feliz Navidad is Spanish for Merry Christmas. :-)

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) Happy Holiday? Thats what I came up with.

message 9: by Tien (new)

Thanks, Mel... I was too lazy to google it meself, ha ha ha

Lynlee & Andrew - very close (there are 12 letters in Happy Holiday) but unfortunately it's not the one I've got in mind :)

message 10: by Tien (new)

There is One Book you MUST read for this challenge and it is the first book of the challenge: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

Another rule is that ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ at the beginning of titles do not count (for example ‘A Christmas Carol’ counts as a C titled book)

message 11: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 0 comments Christmas Day?

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-somanybooks) Chris Kringle?

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-somanybooks) Christmas Eve?

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) Awesome! I've been looking for an excuse to read A Christmas Carol.

message 15: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments Me too! I just needed a little push :)

message 16: by Tien (new)

Mel & Lynlee, I'm glad you guys are excited about A Christmas Carol! woo hoo!

Okay, the secret is out... it's CHRISTMAS DAY

Officially the rules are as follows:

1. The first book you read must be ‘A Christmas Carol’ by Charles Dickens
2. In order to spell ‘Christmas Day’ – the books have to be read in order (that is you cannot read a book with a ‘S’ title after the ‘C’ title, you must read ‘H’ title after ‘C’ to spell ‘Ch…’)
3. ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ at the beginning of titles do not count (for example ‘A Christmas Carol’ counts as a C titled book)
4. You must read unique books for each letter (noting there are doubling up of A & S letters) so the total number of books read for this challenge is 12.
5. I'll set up a separate thread for the participants to share their reading plans & to update the rest of us on how they're going as well (non-participants, please feel free to encourage the participants)
6. When you have completed the challenge, make sure you send me a message to let me know - remember the first one to finish will receive a little Chrissy pressie from me. Include your address with your message please.
7. Official starting date: 1 December 2008. And as I said before, there is no official end date (it's a mini relax kinda game it being holiday season & all).

message 17: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 0 comments yehey!!! i got Christmas Day!

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) I'm in, especially since I was going to read A Christmas Carol anyhoo.

message 19: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Karen, when we read Christmas Carol, can the rest be anything particular or has it got to do with Christmas?

C= Christmas Carol
H= Harry Potter book (any)
R= Revelations - C.J Sansom
I= Infidelity Chain - Tess Stimson
S= Save Karyn - Karyn Bosak
T= Time Bomb - Jonathan Kellerman
M= Midas - Russell Andrews
A= Addition - Toni Jordan
S= Shopaholic series (any)

D= Death Message - Mark Billingam
A= Associate - John Grisham
Y= Yesterday's Shadows - Rosie Goodwin

These are just suggestions of the letters of the word CHRISTMAS DAY.

message 20: by Tien (new)

Fiona, the rest of the books you can gather from your TBR :) not necessarily christmas theme so you can even overlap with the official winter challenge if you want

message 21: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Karen, I added mine on the other thread once I read what u meant hun xx