Rock This! discussion

Whats going on > Any great shows coming up?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

That should be awesome.

\m/ \m/

Dragonforce rocks.

Uh...

My band is playing a few shows coming up during the next few months.

They might be great...(or not)?

:)

message 2: by John (new)

John (jilsao) Dates coming soon when our schedule gets a bit less "tentative".

message 3: by John (new)

John (jilsao) Well, assuming things get back on track after a three month delay, and the wife is self sufficient by then, I still plan on rolling through there on the way to Nick's place this summer. It may or may not be by bike, assuming it can still happen. If nothing else, I do need to get up to the northwest again at some point. Hell, I'd move to Oregon if i didn't have such a good job here... We shall see...

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Dino: perhaps Sigur Ros? I know they're touring these days. (Fantastic tour film out about them, and... now the name entirely eludes me. Brilliant!) I've never seen them live-- something always comes up whenever they're playing near me-- but their albums are pretty durned good.

I have a dilemma on November 12. Two of my favorite bands are playing on opposite sides of town, and both my best friend and I are torn about which one to see. Over on the east side is celtic rock band Enter the Haggis, whom I usually get to see about twice a year, but this would be Jeff (best friend)'s first time ever seeing them, and my kid is also a rabid fan and would love to go (if her mom will let her-- long story). On the west side we have Sikhara, an all-drum-and-voice act from North Carolina who can be classified as, um, industrial folk maybe? I dunno. In any case, the last time they came to town was a decade ago... and I was the only paying member of the audience! They still decided to play, and they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen. But they're playing at a place where I can't take the kid, so kid's mom is instrumental in my deciding what I'm doing next Wednesday. heh.

Also, Burning Star Core are playing at local dive (and when I say dive, I really mean it) Pat's sometime this week, but I fear I may have missed that by accident, thinking it was actually next week.

If anyone's in the vicinity of Cleveland, I'm playing with (at least) three other bands at an art gallery opening on November 29th. Oddly, the gallery owner was at our last show, so she DOES know what she's getting herself into, silly girl...

message 5: by John (new)

John (jilsao) VJ: #8 Be carefull what you offer. 'Cycles through the northwest is probably the one time I would ride on someone elses bike. We'd have to get you a "If you can read this, Johnny fell off" T shirt though.

Mine said (inverted)"If you can read this, put me back on my bike"

Tyrannical Reptillian one: Swedish Psych band? I assume we can expect a full review of said show?

message 6: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 8 comments I just saw the Australian Pink Floyd Show last night, who performed The Wall in its entirety. I must admit, it was an amazing show!Floyd fans should not miss this band.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 4 comments Three Mile Pilot in January at the Casbah (in San Diego)...I can't wait!

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 4 comments Is there a way I can add a playlist here? Help me - I am inept 8)

message 9: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Ahhh, VJ, you probably missed an awesome show. I got to see them with Rammstein, Slipknot and System of a Down

message 10: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) that's a bummer, I'm sure there will be a next time.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Had a show on the 29th. The show itself went exceptionally well, though I do wish I'd gone later in the evening (we still didn't know how far we could push the PA in this place, so I was way too quiet). Playing at the same place New Year's Eve, though, so there will be great loudness. I'm building a piece based around various version of "Auld Lang Syne." heh. I'm fucking (can you say that here?) messing with a Dan Fogelberg sample right now, bending and twisting it in various ways in Sound Forge. heh.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Vicki Jean wrote: "Cuss away big guy, 18+ remember.
Glad to hear 'bout the show, post some pics!"

Pics I do not have yet, but someone caught about the last minute and a half of my set here. Bunch of other vids up as well from the show:

Robert Turman and Aaron Dilloway (the headliners)

Jack Smiley and His Ever-Expanding Self-Taught Rubber Band (who set up and played in the bathroom right next to me, very cool)

SL Makita

Skin Graft (side project of Jesus Kills, who'd just done a nice, soft set of ambient stuff five minutes before...)

Fellahean (who didn't make AVB1 because he was in jail... you can see it, right?)

Assassin Whole Mouth Mouth

Ambivalent Resonance Organization

and this, which was the aftermath of Fellahean and Makita's sets... (that's Jeff from AmbivaRez with the mallet)

I hope all those links work the first time...

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) FLASH IS EEEEEEEEEEBIL

reinstalling doesn't work, I take it?

Grab a copy of Cucusoft YouTubeMate and you can download YouTube vids, convert them, and watch them in Winamp or Windows Media Player or whatever...

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) X: Ten Years of XTerminal

XTerminal (Cleveland)/Vertonen (Chitown)/Startless (all over)/Jason Zeh (the wastelands of western OH)/ga-ne-tli-yv-s-di (FL)/SL Makita (Cleveland)/Contamination Diet (Akron)/Ambivalent Resonance Organization (Mansfield, OH)/more to be announced

June 27, 2009
Now That's Class!
112th and Lorain
Cleveland, OH
doors 6:30PM/show 8PM
$5 suggested donation (all profits go to touring bands)
(note: time and/or venue may change between now and the show)

Okay, you left coasters, you got six months notice and change, which means you have no excuse for not being here.

message 15: by Phillip (last edited Jan 12, 2009 06:07PM) (new)

Phillip i'm turing 50 on valentine's day, and celebrating with 5 concerts here in the bay area. here's the lineup:

friday february 13 - an evening with the lost trio at blue six, SF (jazz)

saturday february 14 - an evening with phillip greenlief (saxophones), tatsuya nakitani (percussion) and liz allbee (trumpet, electronics) at the fox and goose pub, sacramento (improvised music)

sunday, february 15 - 2 + 2, featuring phillip greenlief and jon raskin, saxophones; fred frith and ge stinson, guitars - at oakland school for the arts (downtown oakland in the new fox theater building) - improvised music and new music compositions by greenlief and raskin

monday february 16 - citta di vitti - music for trio by phillip greenlief, inspired by films of michelangelo antonioni - at the ivy room, berkeley (post-jazz)

tuesday february 17 - six compositions for large ensemble by pg - featuring a 26 piece orchestra, the cardew choir, dancers/movement, etc. - at the uptown, downtown oakland (17th and telegraph streets) - new music compositions

please pass the word to any of your peeps out here in the bay area and beyond.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica Robert wrote: "X: Ten Years of XTerminal

XTerminal (Cleveland)/Vertonen (Chitown)/Startless (all over)/Jason Zeh (the wastelands of western OH)/ga-ne-tli-yv-s-di (FL)/SL Makita (Cleveland)/Contamination Diet (Ak..."

Robert if these Puget people come this way, let me know. I'm in the Motor Ciry. Cleveland is a bit of a haul but, Rock This! they should spend a day at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I spent 7 glorious hours there last May and could spent another 7, no problem!!

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Monica wrote: "Cleveland is a bit of a haul"

Pfft. Three hours! (Two and a half if you drive like my wife.) I've gone four times that for shows. Recently! (And, if one of my current job interviews pans out, I'll probably be traveling longer than that myself to get here.) I've already got one band confirmed that will be coming a whole lot longer, and a second I've been in talks with since I started putting the show together who will be coming from Frisco. (It'll be the third time in eight years I've convinced him to fly out and tour the midwest, if he does-- and he always sells out a venue.)

I've considered asking a guy from Melbourne, but even I'm not crazy enough to ask someone to pay that kind of a plane ticket for an almost-guaranteed pittance. heh.

You know, I've been here fifteen years come Memorial Day and I have never been to the Rock Hall. They have overcome half my objection to their existence when the Ramones were inducted. Now they just have to put in, arguably, the four most influential acts since the Beatles: Boyd Rice (eligible in 2000), Merzbow (eligible in 2004), Whitehouse, and Einsturzende Neubauten (both eligible in 2005). Once they get past the bullshit politics and start recognizing who really influenced modern music, we'll get somewhere...

message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica Aha!

Yes, the Stooges should've been admitted before the Ramones. I don't mind the Ramones. They're nice boys from Queens!

Speaking of 'nice' boys from Queens...what about Al Kooper? Why hasn't he been inducted? He has an incomparable R&R resume.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/69...

Boyd Rice (eligible in 2000), Merzbow (eligible in 2004), Whitehouse, and Einsturzende Neubauten (both eligible in 2005).

Never heard on any of them!!! That means I've got lots to learn:-)

message 19: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia Ludlow (lavinialudlow) | 8 comments anybody a dropkick fan? flogging molly?

I know dropkick's coming to the west coast soon...

message 20: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia Ludlow (lavinialudlow) | 8 comments hehe you're funny Vicki Jean. Maybe I'm just not saying anything interesting...I'll have to work on that.

message 21: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia Ludlow (lavinialudlow) | 8 comments oh I love face-melting and skull-crushing.

message 22: by t o n y (new)

t o n y (iam_tony) | 1 comments Errr... anyone in London?
I'm putting on a free show - Saturday 21st November at Notting Hill Arts Club >

BLACK ELK (Portland, Oregon, US)
HAMMERS (Manchester, UK)
HAG (London, UK)
VOLTAGE PLAYERS (London, UK)

This is an afternoon show (Rough Trades RoTa club) starts at 4pm. For fans of Jesus Lizard / Karp / Black Flag / Fu Manchu / Fudge Tunnel...