Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Malazan Book of the Fallen > Toll the Hounds -Prologue and Book One- Vow to the Sun

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Nov 17, 2011 03:32PM) (new)

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
Wow! Here we are back in Darujhistan! I dont know about you guys, but I got all excited just reading the Dramatis Personae....
We have:
Karsa
Kruppe, Coll, Murillo and an awakened Rallick
The Bridgeburners (What's left of them anyway)
Kallor
Draconus and K'rul
Nimander and his 'siblings'
Lady Envy, Orfantal and Korlat, along with....
Anomander Rake!

These are the great ingredients for a tantalizing brew!

Anyway...Right away in the Prologue we see that even though the Bridgeburners are all 'retired', that doesnt mean that folks aren't trying to kill them. Geesh, will they ever get a break????

and it looks like there is trouble brewing inside Rake's sword. I used to feel sorry for anything he killed, but now I see that it's really imperative to keep feeding souls, and strong souls at that, to the sword in order to hold off Chaos....

Seems like things are gonna need to change!

message 2: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments It's a great Dramatis Personae. I look at that first thing every time I start a new book just to see who gets to be in this and also to start wondering how in the world they are all going to come together and interact somehow.

I was really surprised by how many people are trapped in Dragnipur. Not really surprised by the quanity actually, more so by who was in it. (I knew about Draconis already.)

Isn't Toll the Hounds your favorite book Maggie? I think I remember you saying that sometime.

message 3: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Nov 25, 2011 07:10PM) (new)

You know Amelia...they are all my favorites when I am reading them! I usually say Memories is though, so maybe it wasn't me....lol It's way up there though. The only issue I have with this one is that sometimes SE seems to channel Kruppe, and start talking like him....lol
Although I love Kruppe he is one of those characters that are great in small doses but annoying in any larger ones.

There is a lot going on here...as the threads SE is planning to use are picked up and begun to be knotted together.

How many of you are thinking Clip has more issues than we even thought before??? lol I think he has seriously underestimated these Drift Avilii 'young ones', but we'll see!

and WOW about what's going on in Black Coral. Can you imagine? I do have a lot of sympathy for Endest Sillan. When I first read Memories of Ice, my big issue with the ending was about Moon's Spawn, and why Rake would submerge it in the lake with no protection, to it's ruin. However, we see an explanation here. I wonder how old Endest is? and to burnout on all his power? Geeesh

message 4: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I've noticed a few places where it seems like the narrator is talking to the reader. Maybe those are the passages you're meaning. I thought that was a little different.

Clip is a wild card. He seems a little bend on some sore of vengence or revenge.

I think I couldn't live in Black Coral, not with it being night all of the time. I need my sun. I don't think I'd like to hand around the burial mound either and be one of those pilgrims.

message 5: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Nope-especially not come the next little bit! lolol

Also...Murillo! Dang but I liked him and felt bad for him here...

message 6: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "Wow! Here we are back in Darujhistan! I dont know about you guys, but I got all excited just reading the Dramatis Personae....
We have:
Karsa
Kruppe, Coll, Murillo and an awakened Rallick
The..."

Sorry I haven't been around, shhh I was reading a couple books I had started and needed to finish!

Okay, ok I was the one who said I love love LOVE this book!! I think it is the most beautifully writen books of the series, just pure poetry at times. I love that SE does seem to talk straight to the reader but also that he goes back to a theme he used in the first book, that of Kruppe's dreams to tell part of the story!!

Which at this point a SERIOUS discussion of just WHO Kruppe really is needs to be had here!! :) Just who do you guys think he is?? I'm not going to say my thoughts just yet, of course I have my theories having had time to think on him for some time, but I want to see what you all say, I don't influence anyone!!! :)

As Maggie already said allllllll the strings are starting the be weaved together and since you guys read RotCG you know how Traveler ends up in the middle of this book!! When I read Toll the Hounds, Return had not been released yet but a friend in England sent it too me as soon as it came out....sweet right!! Except the whole time I was reading Return I keep thinking I wish I had had this book before I had read Tolls! :)

message 7: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Nov 26, 2011 07:55AM) (new)

There are a couple scenes here, where we should pay close attention!

Nimander and Skintick and crew come across a town that is surrounded by fields of dead people.....does this not stink of the Crippled God?

and the one with the Tiste Andii and Anomander Rake at Black Coral. It conveys a lot of the Andii backstory regarding Mother Dark and their lost home city of Kharkanas, and the forsaking of Anomander by Mother Dark.

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Just started this book, so almost with you all now.
Interesting beginning. I am curious to see what Humble Measure has found under the city that will guarantee that the city will not fall to invaders. Also why he has set about knocking off the K'rull pub Malazan owners. I had forgotten they would be classed as deserters.

Good to see some old names, Torvald Rell, yeah, I really enjoyed his time with Karsa.
Speaking of which, I hear that SE is contracted to write a trilogy of what Karsa gets up to next,

message 9: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Shelley wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Wow! Here we are back in Darujhistan! I dont know about you guys, but I got all excited just reading the Dramatis Personae....
We have:
Karsa
Kruppe, Coll, Murillo and an awakened ..."

Kruppe is definitely a mystery. I wonder if he is some sort of god or human with god-like powers. Somewhere I read, he just brushed past a bunch of Baruk's wards like they were cobwebs. He's got some sort of magic power as well.

message 10: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Lee wrote: "Just started this book, so almost with you all now.
Interesting beginning. I am curious to see what Humble Measure has found under the city that will guarantee that the city will not fall to invad..."

That book about Karsa must come out! It would be all sorts of awesome!

message 11: by Shelley (last edited Nov 30, 2011 06:23AM) (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Amelia wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Wow! Here we are back in Darujhistan! I dont know about you guys, but I got all excited just reading the Dramatis Personae....
We have:
Karsa
Kruppe, Coll, Murillo ..."

There's so many little things regarding Kruppe for one, how can the things in his dreams really be happening, and that he would have dreams where a God visits? Also there have been several times where he seemed to know "something" before that something happens! And as you said Amelia, he appears to have some powerful magic abilities! Hmmmmmmmmm all this points to only one thing in my mind.....

As to Karsa, you can never have too much Karsa!! :) He's one of my favorites!! My BFF and I fight over Karsa (me) and Icarium (him) all the time and I still think Karsa would have beaten Icarium!! My friend says NO WAY, Icariums rage would prevent that from happening, yeah yeah yeah I don't think so!!! And so it goes.....

message 12: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Rage vs. tenacity....it's hard to know without seeing them side by side, but I am guessing it would be an eternal battle!

message 13: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "Rage vs. tenacity....it's hard to know without seeing them side by side, but I am guessing it would be an eternal battle!"

Hahahahahahahhaahhaahahahhaahhahahahahaaaaa...I think you are right Maggie! :))

message 14: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Maggie wrote: "Rage vs. tenacity....it's hard to know without seeing them side by side, but I am guessing it would be an eternal battle!"

LOL! At least it would keep them busy for a while, delay Karsa's plan of destroying everyone.

I'm really looking forward to the confrontation between Kruppe and Iskaral Pust, because I know it's coming. (It had better happen anyway!)

message 15: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oh my
hehehehehe

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I'm really looking forward to the confrontation between Kruppe and Iskaral Pust, because I know it's coming. (It had better happen anyway!)

oh, I hadn't thought about that. What a meeting that will be. Pust is one of my favourite characters, he is just hilarious.

message 17: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL....wait, just wait!!!!!!!! Shhhh Maggie we can't say ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!Hahahahahahhaahhahaahhaahhaahhahaaaaa...Pust and Kruppe!!! :)

I just read the scene with Shadowthrown and Traveler!! So funny!! And read the bar scene with Picker, Blend and Antsy and them passing out!! *also* So funny!!! :)

message 18: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) The Picker/Blend/Antsy relationship is a lot of fun. Poor old Antsy, looks like his dreams just came true, yet he has no recollection of it.