Around the World discussion

closed topics > House of Spirits anyone?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Mikki (new)

Mikki I've got it as an alternate so I might be game because I'm all over the place with my Peru picks. Can't seem to decide.

message 2: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Leonard I will join in...it's on my list!

message 3: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Leonard Great...I have it as Chile?

message 4: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Judy wrote: "Mikki wrote: "I've got it as an alternate so I might be game because I'm all over the place with my Peru picks. Can't seem to decide."

Mikki, is it Peru or Chile?"

Sorry, I meant Chile!

message 5: by Mikki (new)

Mikki I had her book under the wrong country this whole time and now looking at Chile, I see that I have [Book: The Obscene Bird of Night] as my choice. I've been waiting to read forever. Sorry, guys. *Puts L on forehead*

message 6: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (thesevagabondshoes) | 155 comments I have House of Spirits on my list, under Chile but I don't think that Allende ever specifies the setting other than an unnamed South American country.

I'll join in, and I think July 2012 is ok.

message 7: by Mikki (new)

Mikki I know. :(

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I'm in for the group read as well.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Mikki, what does the L stand for? Lovely? Likable? Lady? Can't think of anything else that would describe you that starts with an "L."

message 10: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I have it on my list. I started listening to it on audiobook earlier this year and found it to be a lullaby. I decided I would rather read it instead. The problem is, I haven't acquired it yet and my goal is to knock off the books I already own first. But, I'll see how things are going by July.

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Please count me in! I just swapped out my Bolivia choice for this one. Thanks. :)

message 12: by Rusalka (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 1005 comments Mod
The country is Chile as even though she never mentioned the country by name. It's based on her own family's experience as her Dad's cousin was Salvador Allende who was elected as Chilean President after the Pinochet regime collapsed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvador...

However, Isabel Allende was technically born in Peru.

message 13: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter If I can get the book I may join , it is already on my TBR list .

message 14: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Rusalka wrote: "The country is Chile as even though she never mentioned the country by name. It's based on her own family's experience as her Dad's cousin was Salvador Allende who was elected as Chilean President ..."

Ah, that's why I originally had her for Peru. Hmmmmm, I might be back in.

message 15: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Anne wrote: "Mikki, what does the L stand for? Lovely? Likable? Lady? Can't think of anything else that would describe you that starts with an "L.""

Loser! :)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Mikki wrote: "Anne wrote: "Mikki, what does the L stand for? Lovely? Likable? Lady? Can't think of anything else that would describe you that starts with an "L.""

Loser! :)"

No way. Not a chance.

message 17: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Anne wrote: "Mikki wrote: "Anne wrote: "Mikki, what does the L stand for? Lovely? Likable? Lady? Can't think of anything else that would describe you that starts with an "L.""

Loser! :)"

No way. Not a ch..."

Mwah

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) "Mwah " What language is that? I don't understand it.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Judy wrote: "Anne wrote: ""Mwah " What language is that? I don't understand it."

Mikki is giving you a big smackeroo for your nice comment.... LOL!"

Oh, Ha. Like an air kiss? I get it. Right back at ya.

message 20: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter Judy wrote: "Nile daughter wrote: "If I can get the book I may join , it is already on my TBR list ."

Would love to have you, ND."

thanks , that is very nice of you to say ,:) I love being here in the group:D

message 21: by Sue (new)

Sue I'm planning to join in on this one. I thought I had this book but looks like it will be a library event for me.

(I just had a fright---just went to check my on-computer calendar and couldn't access it! Yikes!!! Well, shows how computer illiterate I am. Somehow I'd turned off the add-on status bar---Who Knew!!. Well the calendar and reminders are back and Sue is a happy camper.)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Sue, I'm worse than you. I can't even find the calendar on my computer.

message 23: by Lesley (new)

Lesley I'll be in this too.

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue Anne wrote: "Sue, I'm worse than you. I can't even find the calendar on my computer."

If I could just remember to always look in "tools" and places like that when I can't find things. There was a nice little "add-on status bar" for me to click and voila all my reminders, instantly accessible.

If you use Firefox Anne, just go into the firefox help and add-ons area and type in calendar. Google calendar is available. I'm actually using "Reminder fox" which is a reminder system. I don't know IE or other systems but you can probably just search at Google and install.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Sue wrote: "Anne wrote: "Sue, I'm worse than you. I can't even find the calendar on my computer."

If I could just remember to always look in "tools" and places like that when I can't find things. There was a..."

Sue, thanks for trying to help. I have a mac and use Safari. I tried variations of your suggestions but nothing happened. I will call my local Apple dealer. They've been really nice about offering help. I'm sure it's really simple, but I don't know where to look.

message 26: by Sue (new)

Sue Anne wrote: "Sue wrote: "Anne wrote: "Sue, I'm worse than you. I can't even find the calendar on my computer."

If I could just remember to always look in "tools" and places like that when I can't find things...."

Good luck Anne. I don't know anything about Macs.

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 311 comments I just finished this one a month or so ago, so I'll chat with you guys when you get to it!

message 28: by Lesli (new)

Lesli (lesmel) | 6 comments @Anne -- are you wanting to use iCal? If so, just type ical in the upper right search on the toolbar (searchlight) and one of the first choices will be the calendar app for Mac. if you want something from Safari (like an add-on), hmm...not sure about that!

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Lesli wrote: "@Anne -- are you wanting to use iCal? If so, just type ical in the upper right search on the toolbar (searchlight) and one of the first choices will be the calendar app for Mac. if you want someth..."

I typed in ical in mail, but it isn't searchlight. Got nothing. Typed it in a google search and found downloads. The thing is, my mac is only about 6 months old. You'd think it would be there, right? Now that I know the name, I'll look around. Thanks, Lesli.

message 30: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Judy wrote: "Anne wrote: ""Mwah " What language is that? I don't understand it."

MWAH! YES!

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Mikki wrote: "Judy wrote: "Anne wrote: ""Mwah " What language is that? I don't understand it."

MWAH! YES!"

Mikki, thanks for the smackeroo.

message 32: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 182 comments Oh this is a good book...

message 33: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 182 comments I might. I'll think about it. By the way, if you haven't read Allende's memoir about her daughter, Paula, it's quite reminiscent of House of the Spirits. It's also worth reading.

message 34: by Daisy (new)

Daisy  | 182 comments I envy the discovery you have ahead of you, if you know what I mean.

message 35: by Lara (new)

Lara (laradyane) I'd love to join in on the group read as well--it will also be my first time reading Isabel Allende. Magical realism is a fairly new genre for me as well, so I'm very much looking forward to this!

message 36: by Parsa (new)

Parsa | 101 comments I;ll be reading it with the group too. What dates are we to read it?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1309 comments Mod
Me!

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) July is wide open for me at present.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Judy wrote: "Its lookin' good.... for the second week...."

Meaning starting July 7th?

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Is that for reading and discussion or just discussion? Some of the group reads are set up for two weeks (I think) to include both. I don't mind which way we do it. I can have the book read by the 8th.

message 41: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 253 comments Maybe..

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Pragya wrote: "Maybe.."

Why maybe? Pragya needs to study textbooks?

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Judy wrote: "Let's say discussion on the 8th and then people can have as long as they like to read the book before the discussion. Sound good?"

That sounds good. Maybe we could write on the calendar that discussion starts on the 8th.

message 44: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 253 comments Ha ha! Yes, Anne, I guess July would be a busy month.

message 45: by Anne (On semi-hiatus) (last edited Dec 11, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Pragya wrote: "Ha ha! Yes, Anne, I guess July would be a busy month."

Does Pragya (need to study textbooks) have a less busy month? (I think I know the answer to this question)

message 46: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 253 comments :D I think those less busy months would be March and April. :)

message 47: by Anne (On semi-hiatus) (last edited Dec 11, 2011 10:01AM) (new)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Do others feel that there is enough room in the schedule to have HoS in March or April? We'll just have two group reads in one month. That's not so bad, right? We are supposed to be reading one books per week (cough cough).

message 48: by Sharon L. (new)

Sharon L. Sherman (slsherman) | 5 comments Judy wrote: "Mikki wrote: "I've got it as an alternate so I might be game because I'm all over the place with my Peru picks. Can't seem to decide."

Mikki, is it Peru or Chile?"

House of Spirits takes place in Chile, but is written by Isabel Allende who was born in Peru and considers herself a Chilean. She lives in the US now, and has become a citizen, I think. He uncle was Salvador Allende, the former Chilean prez who died after a coup.

message 49: by Parsa (new)

Parsa | 101 comments I prefer March or April but if not, july seems good too.

message 50: by Krittika (new)

Krittika | 17 comments Count me in... cannot wait to get started!

« previous 1 3 4