What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Egyptian
This topic is about The Egyptian
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Fiction about a doctor in Ancien Egypt [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deanna (last edited Nov 17, 2011 12:50AM) (new) - added it

Deanna | 16 comments I started reading this book a while ago somewhere that I couldn't take it with me to finish it - ugh! Since I was only a few chapters in, I don't have much to go on (sorry) but would love to read the whole book. It is set in Ancient Egypt and centers on a doctor/healer/medicine man who is of the lower class. He is brought to a royal or rich family to either deliver a baby or care for a sick child. He becomes more involved with the family, going between his lower class roots and spending time with the upper class. He develops a close relationship with the child who I felt like, later in the book, would turn out to be someone well known or important. It was within the last couple of years that I picked this up, but have no idea how old it would be.
thanks!

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 17, 2011 06:50AM) (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 197 comments Possibly The Egyptian by Mika Waltari.

Pulled from a review on Amazon:
"Mika Waltari's "The Egyptian" tells us the story of one physician of ancient Egypt, Sinuhe, set against the background of the reign of the fourth pharaoh Amenhotep, whose attempt to impose monotheism on his polytheistic country was one of the strangest and most fascinating experiments of early civilization. Sinuhe is a foundling, adopted by a lowly physician, and in the tradition of ancient times, trained to follow in his adopted father's footsteps, coming of age at the same time a decisive event is about to take place: the death of the reigning pharaoh, Amenhotep III, around 1380 BC, and the accession of his son, Amenhotep IV, who styled himself Akhenaton."

And from the book description on Amazon:
This epic tale encompasses the whole of the then-known world, from Babylon to Crete, from Thebes to Jerusalem, while centering around one unforgettable figure: Sinuhe, a man of mysterious origins who rises from the depths of degradation to become personal physician to Pharaoh Akhnaton.

message 3: by Deanna (last edited Nov 23, 2011 11:47PM) (new) - added it

Deanna | 16 comments Thanks Rebecca!
That sounds like it, I'll have to find a copy and see how it all turns out...

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Deanna wrote: "Thanks Rebecca!
That sounds like it, I'll have to find a copy and see how it all turns out..."

I'll shelve it. We can always remove the book if it turns out it's not the right one.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 197 comments You're very welcome! Hope it turns out for you!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Egyptian (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mika Waltari (other topics)