San Diego Feminist Book Group discussion

The Group's "To Read" List

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keely (new)

Keely Hyslop | 18 comments Mod
Hey Peoples,
I've been using the group's bookshelf to keep track of the book we're reading for the next month, but I was thinking we could also keep a running list of feminist book suggestions. Feel free to add books you want to read to the group's "to read" list. We'll keep the "read" category for books the group has read together and the "currently reading" category for the book we are reading as a group the current month.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth HI,

I can't say that my cozy mystery series is actually a 'feminist' book, I have nver thought of it that way or in any particular way, to be truthful, though the lead character that this series is built around is a young woman, very much her own keeper, and book 1 in the series: A Ghost of a Chance is set in San Diego.

Also, because it is a cozy mystery in every sense of the word, no gratuitous gimmicks related to gender/violence, language, horror, etc... are in the series. The story-line and plot are driven by character development. More info at:
www.ElizabethEaganCox.net

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments Hi ladies,
I'd like to re-recommend "How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America" by Cristina Page. Like the first two we read, this contains some very basic feminist arguments surrounding birth control, and very specifically outlines some of the wonderful contributions the feminist movement has made to our country, aside from the obvious things like voting rights.
If anyone is interested in reading another novel, I'd like to recommend "Evening is the Whole Day" by Preeta Samarasan. It is set in 1980's Malaysia. I keep picking it up in between book group reads, and it's absolutely beautiful and an interesting perspective on Malaysian history told through the story of a family's generations.