One Crazy Summer (Gaither Sisters, #1) One Crazy Summer discussion

The Breadwinner

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Wow! Great choice everyone! So far I am really enjoying the book! The story is so captivating; I felt like I couldn't put the book down. Right away I was feeling very connected to the characters and the storyline. At chapter 2 and 3 I felt like I wanted to cry. I feel very touched by this family and their story, and the author made me really feel the connection between Parvana and her father. The family seems to have so much courage. I am especially impressed with Parvana. She seems like such a brave little girl. I have a hard time even imagining myself in a situation like this family. Having to move over and over again because of bombings, being so restricted by extreme laws, and being afraid that family members will be taken from you.
Lastly, I like where this story is taking place. I am having a hard time remembering other stories I have read that are about Afghanistan. It is interesting to hear a story about a family from here and learn more about their life.

message 2: by Charlotte (last edited Nov 20, 2011 12:37PM) (new) - added it

Charlotte Trisha wrote: "Wow! Great choice everyone! So far I am really enjoying the book! The story is so captivating; I felt like I couldn't put the book down. Right away I was feeling very connected to the characters an..."

Trisha, I'm so glad you are enjoying the book, I sure did. I cannot believe how much the two girls' story have in common. I agree with you, I have not read many books about the Middle East. This one provides great insight.Just reading it informs me of just how much we all have in common as human beings, even though we may live worlds apart. This teaches a great lesson to children.

message 3: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Charlotte wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Wow! Great choice everyone! So far I am really enjoying the book! The story is so captivating; I felt like I couldn't put the book down. Right away I was feeling very connected to th..."

I finished the book and I thought it was amazing! I noticed that this book is part of a trilogy and I am interested to know what happens next. The story ended somewhat abruptly and I am very curious to read the next part of Parvana's journey. I want to know what happened with her mother and siblings!

I was surprised at certain parts of this book because I felt like it got dark and touched on some sensitive and violent issues. However, I think this book was beautiful and painted a real picture of what Parava's life was like. Since I loved this book I feel like I would want to read it to students, yet as I have wondered with other books, I wonder what is appropriate. I think this book would be good for maybe fifth grade?

Charlotte, I agree that the girls from One Crazy Summer and the Breadwinner have a lot in common. I would say both are coming of age stories where the characters are learning about themselves, their families, and the world. Also, as we said before, both girls have to take care of their family and they are the same age. Additionally,as Fatma explained, both characters have family struggles and their stories illustrate how lucky we are and what we might take for granted.