TV We've Just Watched discussion

British TV > American Remakes of British TV Series

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Look at this list, it seems us Americans have been robbing the British Television Market for decades.

It's too many to list, so click: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

message 2: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Nov 16, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments A few have been good - but mostly I wince when I hear there's one being remade for the U.S.

ETA: A few on that list are a bit of a stretch.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I get the wince-factor too. lol

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments What makes me wince is knowing what a great show The Office was and what it became once it made it to American TV. I thought the US version of Cracker was pretty good though.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments It surprises me that American remakes generally suck. We have a bigger budget. I guess more money to spend doesn't insure better quality. But it should.

I find that if I didn't see the British original, the American version is good. It's only when I see the original that the American version doesn't stand up.

I think if you're gonna do a remake you better improve on it or don't bother at all. Though, I'm sure the reason for American remakes has nothing to do with that, but with the lack of originality in screenwriters.

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 60 comments Few remakes last long in America. I cringe over the Coupling version AND the Being Human one.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments The newest of the cringe-worthy is the upcoming US remake of Misfits. You know how bad that's gonna suck?

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 60 comments Very much, I do believe.

message 9: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments The coupling remake was horrible!

I think the US what's it called....Standards and Regulations?... basically the censures and activist groups often get in the way.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments A lot of the time it's creative imagination that gets in the way. Don't just re-shoot the scripts of the other show! Take the idea and then do what you have to, to make it work for the U.S. - that's rarely the same thing as the original.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Here's a list of new remakes coming up:
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/tubetalk...

Only Fools and Horses (ABC)
Starring: John Leguizamo
The verdict: Our first reaction to this Americanisation was one of horror - how could ABC even think about remaking Britain's most beloved sitcom? Still, the casting of John Leguizamo as Del has us intrigued - we can picture the Romeo + Juliet star as a dodgy dealer and con artist. But is the image of David Jason's Derek Trotter simply too strong to erase? We reckon that this one stands a fighting chance, but that the weight of public expectation might count against it.

Mistresses (ABC)
Starring: No names announced yet.
The verdict: ABC's obviously feeling pretty confident about Mistresses - they've already ordered a season of the show (though you'll have to wait until 2013 to see it). We think this could be a hit - the original Mistresses was always fun in a camp, over-the-top kind of way, and it could translate well across the pond. Plus Gossip Girl writer KJ Steinberg is behind the script, which sounds good to us.

White Van Man (ABC)
Starring: Kyle Bornheimer, JK Simmons
The verdict: Some might be surprised that this fledgling UK comedy is getting the remake treatment, but then it was BBC Three's highest rated sitcom launch ever. Bornheimer has bad form with remakes of UK shows, with his Worst Week - a remake of the BBC's The Worst Week of My Life - running for just 16 episodes. Spider-Man actor Simmons is a solid choice for the lead's father, but with a working title of White Truck Dude - yes, really - we don't have the highest hopes for this one.

Misfits (no network attached)
Starring: No names announced yet.
The verdict: We're not sure of the status of Misfits' US remake at the moment - news about its existence emerged in October and then it all went quiet. It doesn't even seem to have a network yet. But we thought it was worth including, since we're huge Misfits fans. What we do know is that Josh Schwartz has signed up to develop the project. This could be amazing - he's behind shows like The OC, Chuck and Gossip Girl. On the other hand, will Schwartz be gritty enough for the naughty, wicked Misfits we know and love? A lot depends on whether this ends up on network or cable... and on the casting, of course.

Bad Girls (NBC)
Starring: Jurnee Smollett (Friday Night Lights)
The verdict: Much like Mistresses, Bad Girls was guilty pleasure stuff when it aired over here - we think this could be a hit over in the US if it's done well. And hey, it's got a Friday Night Lights star in it, so that's a start. And its developer John Wells has previous in turning UK hits into US successes - he worked on the Shameless adaptation (as well as little shows like ER, The West Wing and Southland.) We're hopeful about this one, as long as it doesn't lose its campy fun and become too serious.

Friday Night Dinner (NBC)
Starring: Allison Janney, Tony Shalhoub, David Koechner
The verdict: The first six-part series of this quirky Channel 4 sitcom was a little gem and we've been eagerly anticipating the second series for a while now, so had mixed feelings over news on NBC's remake. But the initial signs are good - Greg Daniels, who spearheaded the US adaptation of The Office, is once again at the helm and, unlike some adaptations, the show's format can be relocated Stateside with relatively few changes. Plus, The West Wing's Allison Janney and Monk's Tony Shalhoub are inspired choices for the roles originally played by Tamsin Greig and Paul Ritter.

Elementary (CBS)
Starring: Jonny Lee Miller
The verdict: Ah yes, the remake that isn't a remake, honest. There were a few raised eyebrows when CBS announced that it was developing this pilot, which will follow a modern-day Sherlock Holmes in New York City. The similarity to the BBC's Sherlock - which sees Conan Doyle's famous 'tec solving crimes in contemporary London - was undeniable. CBS insists that the two shows aren't linked, but Sherlock exec Sue Vertue has made it clear that she'll be keeping an eye on the project. We think the US network would be better off ditching the project to avoid any more controversy.

What other remakes have been mentioned?
MTV's working on a remake of The Inbetweeners (pro: Anthony Head likes it, con: Skins didn't work out too well for the channel)... Rescue Me star Denis Leary is apparently making a US version of paramedic dramedy Sirens... Channel 5's Suburban Shootout was linked to a remake on ABC but we haven't heard anything since... Foreign dramas we like: Borgen and Braquo have been linked to remakes, but don't seem to be moving forward.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments lol, I know.

message 14: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 60 comments *palmfaces and headdesks*

message 15: by Jackie (last edited Jun 11, 2012 09:08AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Why can't we just have the originals air here? The UK gets the best of our TV programming. Game of Thrones airs one day later there, and it's not on a pay cable channel either.

I want to move the the UK just for the TV!

I wrote to BBC/BBCA and suggested they give us quality British programming instead of Gordon Ramsey and his fifty shows for half the week of programming hours. I'd even pay for it, if it was dramas and comedies...not reality crap like GR.

message 16: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments I agree, I don't understand why they don't just air the originals. Some they do on BBC. I always find the originals better. My husband has a hard time with them because there is usually at least one character he cannot understand lol. I find the more you watch, the more the accent is not an issue.

message 17: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I really get tired of checking BBCA to see what's on and finding nothing but Top Gear! Surely the Brits don't think that their only viewers in the US are males who get turned on by cars! The only place, it seems, to get halfway decent British programming is on PBS.

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I know it, their programming sucks these days.
PBS has quality British shows but not often enough.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Myra wrote: "I really get tired of checking BBCA to see what's on and finding nothing but Top Gear! Surely the Brits don't think that their only viewers in the US are males who get turned on by cars! The only..."

Yeah, the new season of Dr. Who hasn't started yet.

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Susanna wrote: Yeah, the new season of Dr. Who hasn't started yet.

Don't I know it; my life revolves around DW. I'm just finishing up a S1 to S6 marathon.

message 21: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Any idea when it's going to start? I bought that set of all the seasons of DW that you referred me to, Jackie, and I can get a Who fix when I really need it, but I want the new stuff. One thing I discovered with the old stuff: I had forgotten how much I liked Christopher Eccleston's Doctor. Rose was tolerable when she was with him. It was only when she fell in love with David Tennant's Doctor that she became totally obnoxious!

message 22: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Did you ever watch "Blackadder"? That's a really old British comedy that still cracks me up! That's the first thing I ever recall Hugh Laurie in. Geoffrey House would cringe at the character!

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Myra, aw, I love Rose. Especially with Tennant.
DW S7 will premiere in the Fall, not official date yet. They're splitting the season again and on the Xmas special we will be introduced to the new companion.

Blackadder was awesome. That's where I know Hugh Laurie from. I found it quite an adjustment seeing him as House. It was hard to take him seriously at first, I just wanted to laugh at the Prince Regent.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Jackie wrote: "Susanna wrote: Yeah, the new season of Dr. Who hasn't started yet.

Don't I know it; my life revolves around DW. I'm just finishing up a S1 to S6 marathon."

Been a fan since '74.

message 25: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Jun 15, 2012 02:56PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I liked Eccleston's Doctor a lot; a pity he only did it one season. Rose was tolerable with him.

Think the first half of the new series (with Christmas special) will air in the UK in the fall; don't know about delay time to the US and other territories.

I'm told we can expect one set in the Old West, and that the Daleks and Weeping Angels will be back. I believe this is the last season with Amy Pond and Rory.

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments DW airs at the same time here. We used to be 2 weeks behind but they stopped that when they did Torchwood: Children of Earth. I'm so happy we get it the same day now! No waiting!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments This discussion and the thread title remind me: the American attempt at Dr. Who was truly, truly dire.

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I didn't even know about it. Have no desire to see it.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments FOX tried it in '96.

It featured Paul McGann as Eight and Eric Roberts as the Master, was set in San Francisco, featured the Doctor's second regeneration in a hospital (and escape therefrom), and was pretty bad. The 2-hour debut movie did so poorly in the US it didn't get any further (though it won its week in its UK broadcast).

Among other weird moments, we learned the Doctor is "half British."

message 30: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments It sounds bad. Eric Roberts as The Master! Oh stop, my sides are hurting from laughing so hard!

Wow, half British? Hummm, how does that work?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Yeah, that's what the existing fans wanted to know, too!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments McGann was actually pretty good; the rest of it, though. Oy.

message 33: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I remember that, Susanna. It was truly horrible. I've been a DW fan since the 70s, too. My Doctor was Tom Baker. Everyone has their favorite Doctor. I recall when David Tennant said his Doctor was Peter Davison. And I never really cared for Davison and his celery stalk in his pocket. The current Doctor's first episode where he was trying to determine what foods he liked reminded me a lot of Tom Baker's first episode where he was trying to decide what clothing he liked. Both were very funny sequences.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Yeah, I started watching at the cusp of Pertwee turning into Tom Baker, who is still my favorite doctor.

I was OK on Peter Davison, hated Colin Baker.

message 35: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Hate to admit it, but I totally swore off Doctor Who when Colin Baker was the Doctor. I didn't really pick it up again until the new series.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Sylvester McCoy was better than Colin Baker (not that the bar was high), and tended toward the clown side character-wise. He had a companion who liked to throw explosives around.

message 37: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I have a co-worker who really liked Sylvester McCoy. I told her I had never even seen a McCoy Who and she couldn't believe it. Glad to hear more about him.

message 38: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Jun 19, 2012 11:37AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments McCoy would only rank for me about the middle, but after Colin Baker that was quite a relief, and Ace (the explosives fan) was an improvement as a companion, as well. (Colin Baker having one who is one of my least favorites of all time: Melanie Bush. She was not as dire as Adric. I guess.)

message 39: by Mike Briggs (new)

Mike Briggs (mikebriggs) heh. Interesting. This lead me to look up British remakes of American shows (which, in a way, is the only reason I reply in this thread, that and no British remakes of American shows thread).

Anyone see In with the Flynns? Based on Grounded for Life, which I liked when it was over here. Surprised it would be the inspiration for a British show.

It's interesting that That '70s Show was remade in Britian. Pulled after 10 of its 13 episodes.

Who's the Boss?, though, lasted 7 seasons/series over there as Upper Hand. hmm. Honor Blackman was in that one.

By the way, there's a ton of British shows I've liked. I just toss that out there. Probably not the thread for any of this, so I'll hold off on mentioning them.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Mike, why don't you start a new thread for British favs? I'd join in.

message 41: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 41 comments Couldn't believe how terrible the U.S The Inbetweeners was. Excuse the weirdness of this phrase but I felt like I'd been ass-fucked in the funny bone.