Books on the Nightstand discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 559 comments Mod
I'm not even finished listening to this episode and have already learned all kinds of new things. I didn't realize Jo Nesbo's Headhunters was a stand-a-lone thriller. I'm really excited to hear a film is on the way I'm in the middle of The Leopard, a Harry Hole coming out in December. Oh, it's good.

A 200th anniversary for Dickens. Where have I been? I loved the title "pick a Dickens or two" as like Ann, I, too adored the movie Oliver. This is just my favorite song from the movie. It's also good to know about the new production of Great Expectations. Sounds like it will appeal to a broad audience. I need to plan a Dickens celebration and Michael needs to read a Dickens to make it two!

Thanks for a great podcast and keeping me up to date...

message 2: by Joanne-in-Canada (last edited Nov 17, 2011 05:42AM) (new)

Joanne-in-Canada (inkling_jo) | 255 comments "Is it worth the waiting for?
If we live til eighty-four
All we ever get is gruuu-el.

Every day we say our prayer.
Will they change the bill-of-fare?
Still we get the same old gruuu-el."

We, too, had the soundtrack for the movie Oliver and the piano music. I had a picture of Mark Lester (who played Oliver) on my bedroom door (probably ripped from Tiger Beat), along with a cherubic Michael Jackson, and Danny Bonaduce from the Partridge Family. Thanks for the memories, Ann!

I read Great Expectations for a high school English course (Gr. 11?), but left it so late that I read only the first sentence in every paragraph. I heard you could get the gist of a well written book that way (how embarrassing to admit!). I have read A Tale of Two Cities and have had Bleak House on my to-read list for quite a while. Maybe BOTNS should have a Dickens challenge for 2012.

message 3: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i only recently read A Tale of Two Cities. i teach english, so i thought i should get a few more of the classics under my belt.

i haven't read much dickens, but Oliver Twist sounds like a worthy choice.

message 4: by SEY (new)

SEY (literarylovavore) | 44 comments Glad you reminded us of the Dickens anniversary. Been cleaning out the storage bins, amongst them is a collection of Dickens that my father kept.

AMAZING: The"ANNIVERSARY EDITION of the Works of CHARLES DICKENS February 7,1912!" P F Collier & Son NY

I carefully cleaned A Tale of Two Cities and started reading right away! Doable and enjoyable. Go for it Micheal! Thanks Ann!

message 5: by Jana (new)

Jana (jazziegirl2010) | 309 comments Listening to Great Expectations read by Frank Muller 10+ years ago while on a road trip to Montana is forever etched in my family's memory. What a wonderful way to hear the story! We've quoted from it ever since..."Aged P" "Those who have brought you up by hand". Audible.com has BOTH A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations unabridged read by Frank. Buy it. Trust me ;)

Just yesterday, inspired by the anniversary, I purchased Bleak House to read during 2012.

message 6: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ what would you recommend as a must read for dickens?

message 7: by Jana (new)

Jana (jazziegirl2010) | 309 comments My $0.02 worth, Elizabeth, is Great Expectations (see above post).

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky Yamarik | 73 comments I've read Oliver Twist, Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, and David Copperfield. I think the best one for a first read would be Great Expectations. . . it's humorous and also has a lot of depth and social commentary. It's an enjoyable read and the academics say (at least on wikipedia, whatever that is worth) that it's one of his "great" novels. So you can have fun while feeling good about yourself!
Becky

message 9: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 116 comments Joanne wrote: ""Is it worth the waiting for?
If we live til eighty-four
All we ever get is gruuu-el.

Every day we say our prayer.
Will they change the bill-of-fare?
Still we get the same old gruuu-el."

We, too,..."

I sing with a huge choir (usually around 200 of us) and we sang this in one of our half-yearly concerts... We put actions in it aswell - it was lots of fun :)

I love the movie, but have never read the book. The only Dickens I've read is A Christmas Carol. I own A Tale of Two Cities, but for some reason I find it a little daunting so haven't gotten around to picking it up yet. Maybe I should start with Great Expectations?

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky Yamarik | 73 comments Hi Kirsty,
I think Great Expectations is a great one to start with b/c there is action from the very first chapter when the 7 yr old Pip meets Magwich, the escaped prisoner, in the graveyard. Not those pages and pages of descriptions of scenery that I sometimes associate with Victorian literature. . . it's a real pageturner, believe it or not.

message 11: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 116 comments Sounds like the kind of book I'd love! I'm going to join Michael and commit to reading Great Expectations in 2012 :)

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky Yamarik | 73 comments great! good for you! you won't be disappointed. and if you become a real Dickens-o-phile you can even go to "dickens camp" at UCSC, a one week summer retreat for academics and the public. . . for the truly dickens obsessed. dickens.ucsc.edu. Each year they do a different book. Last year it was Great Expectations, this year will be Bleak House.

message 13: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ that sounds awesome becky!

message 14: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 116 comments As great as that sounds, I don't think I'll ever be that obsessed with Dickens :)

message 15: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments I have not even listened to this episode yet (soon). I'm not sure I want to read any Dickens in 2012 - I wrote my senior thesis on Dickens. "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Women in the Works of Charles Dickens" (LOL) - a feminist-leaning study of David Copperfield, Our Mutual Friend and something else - can't even remember which book! I think I was Dickens-ed out by that point and haven't picked up another since then. But I have read quite a bit of Dickens in my life.

message 16: by Jana (new)

Jana (jazziegirl2010) | 309 comments Victoria wrote: "I have not even listened to this episode yet (soon). I'm not sure I want to read any Dickens in 2012 - I wrote my senior thesis on Dickens. "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Women in the Works of..."

That sounds interesting! And I'd like to see the same thesis on Tolstoy (she says with a grrrrrrr....)

message 17: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 116 comments I bought a Dickens set in the Amazon Black Friday deals :) It has Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities (so now I have two copies lol), David Copperfield, Hard Times and Great Expectations. So now I really have no excuse not to read Dickens!

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate | 269 comments Earlier this year I read Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities and really enjoyed them both. I need a suggestion for 2012, as I would like to read something else by Dickens. In college I started but did not complete Bleak House; I found it dreary and was able to pass the test, but have no recollection of the story. Is it worth trying again? Thanks.

message 19: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) I always disliked Dickens and had made to failed attempts at Oliver Twist when I started to watch the older adaptation of Bleak House. I admit I was attracted because the main character is called Esther. Even though the book is a door stop I loved it and it was my gateway to Dickens.