Winchester Journal discussion

Supernatural Novels

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

J-Lynn Van Pelt | 23 comments I just read Supernatural: Nevermore! I am such a nerd, but I loved it. I thought weaving the Edgar Allan Poe stories into a supernatural plotline was brilliant. I thought the writer really had Sammy's voice down, but I didn't really get into Dean's head until the end of the story. But, overall, it fed my Supernatural obsession which is all I needed. What did you think?

message 2: by Vampire Lady (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Vampire Lady (VampireLady) | 2 comments The author did a much better job with Nevermore than he did with the novelization of the movie Serenity. I almost didn't read Nevermore because Serenity was so bad, but in the end I'm glad I did.

I'm kind of opposite in my opinions from yours. I thought he had Dean nice, got in his head easily. I think that's 'cause he put a part of himself in Dean (or saw himself in Dean) 'cause he's said that him and Dean are very similar with music choices amongst a few other things.

Overall I enjoyed it, was pleasantly surprised by it, and may actually re-read it one day.

message 3: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

J-Lynn Van Pelt | 23 comments Vampire Lady,

I think he had Dean's sarcasm down, but I was interested to get more into Dean's inner thoughts. I thought the character was too guarded even when we were seeing the story through his eyes. I want more juicy details!

Thanks for the heads up with the Serenity novelization. I love that show and would be heartbroken if the book disappointed me.

Are you planning on reading Witch's Canyon? It's written by Jeff Mariotte. It just arrived yesterday from Amazon and I am trying to find some time to start it.

I just love the world that is Supernatural and the great characters that make it seem realistic.

message 4: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) | 3 comments Heck, I didn't know there were novels. WHere have I been? I knew about the magazines and some of the comics and stuff, but not the novels.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I'll have to check these out. :)

message 6: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (lilytiger) | 3 comments I've got Nevermore and Witch's Canyon. I plan on reading them both over the summer.

message 7: by Dini (new)

Dini I thought Witch's Canyon was more action-packed, but it focused too much on secondary characters. Nevermore is kinda laid back, less action, but has more humor and brotherly moments.

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) | 3 comments Glad to get some feedback on them! :-)

message 9: by Jody (last edited Oct 19, 2009 11:12PM) (new)

Jody | 13 comments 3 new novels are coming out in 2010!

I took the liberty of adding them to the reading list for everyone to check out, and I hope no one minds that I also cleaned up the look and layout of the book shelves. :) Everything is now under "Read," (anything added will now show up on the main page) but I also created other shelves to make finding a certain book easier.

"The Heart of the Dragon"
"The Unholy Cause" and
"The War of the Sons"

message 10: by Josh (new)

Josh (jminhk) | 2 comments I just bought "The Heart of the Dragon" at Barnes and Noble this morning. I thought it was coming out Feb. 16th, so I was overjoyed to see it shiny and new on the shelves. I may just put aside the book I am reading now, so I can read this book. I'm a complete Supernatural fanatic.

M (aka DarkBeauty73) (darkbeauty73) | 12 comments Planning on picking up all the novels when I can. I have Nevermore already. Thanks for the info on the books makes me want to read them more. Glad I wont be disappointed.

message 12: by Jody (new)

Jody | 13 comments Added a few new books to the bottom of the group page. :) Check it out.

M (aka DarkBeauty73) (darkbeauty73) | 12 comments I have all the novels now and the season companions. Looking forward to the next novel War of the Sons and companion 4 and 5.

Jody will do.

message 14: by Jody (new)

Jody | 13 comments I have The Heart of the Dragon, but I'm really sorry to say that I'm having a hard time getting through it. :( Someone please tell me the last two new books are better ...

M (aka DarkBeauty73) (darkbeauty73) | 12 comments Jody wrote: "I have The Heart of the Dragon, but I'm really sorry to say that I'm having a hard time getting through it. :( Someone please tell me the last two new books are better ..."

I am reading Witches Canyon and I am finding it good.

message 16: by Jody (new)

Jody | 13 comments Witches Canyon was probably the best out of the first three.

M (aka DarkBeauty73) (darkbeauty73) | 12 comments Jody wrote: "Witches Canyon was probably the best out of the first three."

thanks for the info. Ment to read them in order but I picked up witches canyon one day as I was going out the door not realizing it wasn't the first one. But oh well.

message 18: by Jody (new)

Jody | 13 comments I finally got my hands on the last two novels. My Borders never seems to have anything in stock, but this last trip I was pleasantly surprised. :D

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) Do you have to read these in order? Or are they just stand alones?

message 20: by Jody (new)

Jody | 13 comments There like episodes. You can watch them outta order, but in order is better.

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) Jody wrote: "There like episodes. You can watch them outta order, but in order is better."

Ok. That is what I was wondering. I'll have to buy the first one then.. Because I just bought the second & third, not thinking.

message 22: by Jody (new)

Jody | 13 comments Some of the small things are mentioned in other books and they fit into places between actual episodes.

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) Thank you for letting me know Jody!

message 24: by Jody (new)

Jody | 13 comments New Supernatural novel coming out in May. I've also added it to the bookshelves. :)

One Year Gone by Rebecca Dessertine

message 25: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 2 comments I'm about 2/3rd of the way thru Nevermore and am really enjoying it. I just finished a difficult, but excellent novel Stars in My Pocket Like Grain of Sand which left my brain exhausted and I needed some vegetating reading.

Now, I want to re-watch the entire series so for. AM impatiently awaiting S6 on DVD. I miss the guys.

message 26: by Jody (last edited May 16, 2011 02:45AM) (new)

Jody | 13 comments Two new novels coming up! :D

Coyote's Kiss by Christa Faust
Release date: July 12th.

Night Terror by John Passarella
Release date: Sept. 13th

message 27: by Pagetranquility (new)

Pagetranquility | 5 comments Definitely looking forward to Coyote's Kiss, thanks for the reminder, Jody. :)

message 28: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 2 comments I have 'em pre-ordered.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Atomic27) | 2 comments I just finished Nevermore last night, and I thought it was great in the way that there is far more attention to detail in the book when compared against an episode. You can really get inside the different character's heads, as opposed to watching from an outsider's perspective.

I also have a copy of Witch's Canyon, and I picked up Bone Key yesterday, so I'll be excited to read those soon.

message 30: by Jody (new)

Jody | 13 comments I had a terrible time getting through "Bone Key" and "The Hearth of the Dragon." I guess I'm just not a fan of Keith R.A DeCandido. Thank God he did "Nevermore" some justice, or I probably never would of bothered picking up any of the continuing novels. :/

Happy to say that after "Heart of the Dragon," he's not set to write any of the following five. *sigh of relief*