Bright Young Things discussion

Hot books/small group reads > "Bright Young People" by D.J. Taylor

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. | 2 comments This is a wealth of information for our period here; just finished reading & posted a review, here :
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 2: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1526 comments I'm pretty sure this was a group read last year.

Of course, I didn't finish it yet.

message 3: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 651 comments I think it was too, Jan. I have it and haven't read it yet. One day... ;) :)

message 4: by J. (new)

J. | 2 comments Almost hate to say it but I think the reading list--- rather than the reading-along-with-the-group -may be the most valuable thing about book groups.

Many have schedules that just don't permit reading the group choice of the moment, fair enough. For some they're engaged on a heavily planned-out reading schedule already, with books coming and going on thematic or chronological grounds, either as a course of study or research, or whatever.

For me, I've generally got a "next-up" list of my own, that comprises about a dozen books, alongside two or three I'm actively reading at the moment, and two or three on reserve Holds at the library, that have to be read within a certain deadline once they arrive. So group-reading isn't really an option unless one is willing to suspend everything else in order to synchronize with a specific group...

But the great & valuable thing of the book group is that you can put your future titles in place by glancing down the book lists here....

message 5: by Ally (last edited Nov 19, 2011 02:15AM) (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
J. - Our book discussions always remain open in the archive so that members can pop back at any time and add their comments if they read the choice 'out of sync' - I'd encourage anyone to do this.

We also have a system whereby group members nominate the books they want to read and then vote on the final chosen book, which I hope means that members see their choices coming up at least some of the time!

Jennifer is excellent at ensuring our nominations and polls give people enough time to get hold of a copy of the book and factor it into their reading schedules but there is no obligation on any member to read along with all choices - just join in when you want to and sit on the sidelines if you don't. The group belongs to everyone and needs to reflect that.

If anyone has any comments on how group reads should work they should check out Jennifers feedback thread...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 6: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kelleyls) | 6 comments I agree. The shelves in this group are a great resource for book shopping! I read along with the group when it works out, but it often does not as I'm in other groups as well and a face to face book club.