SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

November Discussions > The Windup Girl

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished this last night.

About a year ago I tried to read it but I just wasn't feeling it and gave up on it. It was interesting but just not what I wanted at the time. So, I just held on to it until a few days ago and started it again.

Its a densely packed book but I like the ideas behind it. It feels a little steampunk, a little biopunk ... Its a little of a lot of things. I really enjoyed it and I'd like to read more in this world.

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) Hmmm. I read 19% and just wasn't into it at all. When I went to bed last night, I read two paragraphs and realized it felt like work so I started another book. I feel guilty as I am a die-hard book finisher, but the 10 pages of unread books on the Kindle are making me not want to spend time on something I'm not enjoying.

Maybe I'll get back to it later.

message 3: by Bigal-sa (new)

Bigal-sa | 28 comments I'm with Donna here. I've had three tries at it and have now finally pushed it into the bin...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the first time I only got about 14% in before I stopped.

I don't know what's different this time .... I gave it a 4 overall afterwards because I really did enjoy it this time around.

message 5: by Tony (new)

Tony Bertauski (jadedreader) | 2 comments Glad to see this thread. I've had this book in my queue for awhile so maybe I'll wait until I can borrow it from the library.

message 6: by Robert Thompson (last edited Dec 25, 2012 04:23PM) (new)

Robert Thompson (kilevvri1) | 3 comments I have tried to read it twice, so far. Can't remember how far I had reached, before abandoning it. Started reading again a few weeks ago and found it interesting, for the first time. Just don't want to start it up again, til after New Year's. I have goals to meet and have no faith on whether I'll finish it this time around either.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (kanthr) | 165 comments I absolutely loved this one. It was surprisingly original for a SF/F book.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 7 comments Didn't enjoy this first time around. I liked the descriptions and being immersed in the world but I gave up 2/3 of the way through. Interesting to read others have come back to it and enjoyed it more the second time so perhaps I'll give it a go again.

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasstolte) | 104 comments It's on to read list. Based on comments I think I will move it to 20s. Which means sometime in 6 months.

Thanks all.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (clockwork_wings) | 12 comments This book wasn't what I expected when I got it. Some of the implications are disturbing.

Living in a world where buying food can get you killed. Brr.

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K I loved this one...the human(or not so human) backstories were probably even better than the issues with the bio-engineering needed for food...a world with no black and white