Feminist Science Fiction & Fantasy discussion

Who has been to WisCon?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jes3ica) | 3 comments Hi! I'm thinking of attending WisCon (the world's leading feminist sci fi convention) in May, and I'm wondering if anyone has been, and if so, wants to share what it's like.

http://www.wiscon.info/

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinelundoff) | 3 comments Hi there,
You should definitely check out WisCon - I've been going every year or the past 15 or so and it's always a terrific experience. There's a very wide range of programming and lots of interesting discussion and reading suggestions. I go to a number of sf conventions and it remains my favorite. :-)

message 3: by Stasa (new)

Stasa | 8 comments Mod
Oh, you should totally go, if you can afford it and the travel's not ridiculous. I've not been, but my best friend and her partner stayed with us several times on their road trip to and from, and their tales filled me with envy. From what they and other friends of mine say, it sounds like a wonderful experience, and much more personal than many big "traditional" cons.

We can't go in '09, but I'm hoping to go in '10.

message 4: by Stasa (new)

Stasa | 8 comments Mod
We're in Seattle for a year, which is why we can't go in '09. Maybe in '10!

message 5: by Stasa (new)

Stasa | 8 comments Mod
Hooray! *waves back*

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jes3ica) | 3 comments Ha! I'm going AND I've convinced my grad program to give me credit for interviewing con-goers and producing an audio documentary about female sf fandom.

Thanks for getting me so excited about it!

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinelundoff) | 3 comments YAY!!! :-)

message 8: by Stasa (new)

Stasa | 8 comments Mod
That's so cool. Hooray!

What's your field?

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jes3ica) | 3 comments I'm doing an interdisciplinary masters combining science fiction and feminist theory. So, it fits pretty well :).

message 10: by Stasa (new)

Stasa | 8 comments Mod
Jessica, that sounds awesome. Good for you!!