Q&A with Sean Quirk discussion

Questions (Any topic) > Any writers here?

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 16, 2011 12:20PM) (new)

What books have you written and how did the ideas come about? What's your process?

message 2: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments I am merely an aspiring author as of right now. But, I am in hopes of getting my first serious novel (YA Fantasy) into publication, via the traditional route. Then, I have a second WIP that I am wanting to self publish, only because it will be a single book, and I am very specific about the cover. My ideas come about in different ways. With my first novel I did research into the fantasy world of myths and lore, to decide on a topic, and then, I went from there. But with the second one- oh, that was was special! That just came to me from no where. I just started getting these humorous first lines in my head, and I had to write them down. By the time I was done, I had a whole first chapter to a new book, before I was even done with my first. I love each book that I have ever written, but these last two were special. I put everything I had into them. As far as process goes? I would be lying if I said I just sat and wrote them out. Instead, I like to act it out. I like to pretend I am in the scene, especially when said scene is rather sticky. :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Racheal wrote: "I am merely an aspiring author as of right now. But, I am in hopes of getting my first serious novel (YA Fantasy) into publication, via the traditional route. Then, I have a second WIP that I am wa..."

What's your YA about? Are you done writing?

Traditional route is getting harder and harder. There was just a big article in Vogue I think talking about how agents hardly ever read query letters anymore. Be prepared for a lot of form letter responses, but keep plugging away. I got a top agent on my thriller a couple of years ago but it didn't go anywhere. Spent a few days weeping ... that sort of thing lol.

It's nice when the ideas come out of nowhere. I usually get an idea for an opening scene from something I experience then just start writing and see where it goes.

I kinda like the idea of acting them out. Have you always done that?

message 4: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Yeah,m I understand how ridiculous the traditional route is these days. Everyone wants to publish Snooki,and turn down the next Stephen King. It's sad. I am really determined to at least try to make one into the sea of traditional publishing.
Yes, I have always done it. It's something I learned in eighth grade actually, haha. And it stuck! I took a poetry class, my first ever writing class, and we had to act out poems that fit into a genre, but had different emotions to them. I got the best grade in my class, and found it really helpful and inspiring.
My first book is a trilogy, called Nymphs of Macedonia. The first book I actually just finished, and am doing final revisions on. It's called Essences. Basically the series is about Chrysanthe (Chrys) who is a deity, a nymph, who is unusually powerful. She goes on an hunt to find out who killed her father, and who is trying to take over their peaceful world. She falls in love with a gypsy boy, and has to flee to America with him. It's actually better than it sounds, haha.

message 5: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments My second book that I am currently working is called Just for Kicks. It's about a fourteen year old girl who is an orphan. She lives in a foster home, and is endanger of being moved to a new foster home, because she gets in so much trouble. She gets bored and pulls pranks on people. When a mysterious girl tells her that she is destined to be a super hero, she tries her best to turn her self around in order to stay with the foster mother she grew to love, and she ultimately learns just how hurtful pranks can be.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

No, it actually sounds pretty good! How many words you get to and how long did it take? Oh, and if you need a copy-editor, I know a really good (and affordable) one. She did my last book. I can give you her e-mail if you want. She also does book marketing.

I laughed out loud on the Snooki comment. It's soooo true! You just have to be (as you said) determined, and make yourself as annoying as possible lol. I hope you get their attention. Have you started querying already?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Racheal wrote: "My second book that I am currently working is called Just for Kicks. It's about a fourteen year old girl who is an orphan. She lives in a foster home, and is endanger of being moved to a new foster..."

This one sounds good too. 14 is the age of the boy in my book - must be a good age! Is this the one you're going to self-publish?

message 8: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Right now, (and I believe it will stay this number)it's 65k. It took me about three months. I would actually like that a lot! I have been doing my own editing, but have found it very tiring, with two boys at home LOL.
Yes, sadly the whole Snooki thing....ugh. I won't go there, haha.
I have not sent out any queries yet, mainly because I am so nervous. I was going to wait until I met with a friend of mine, who is a self pub author. I wanted to talk to her about my book over lunch, and get any help I could from her. She just released her third book, and is an awesome author!

message 9: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Sean wrote: "Racheal wrote: "My second book that I am currently working is called Just for Kicks. It's about a fourteen year old girl who is an orphan. She lives in a foster home, and is endanger of being moved..."

Yes! That one will be self published! I am very picky about that one, so I don't want anyone swooping in and messing it up! LOL. I found that there aren't too many books that feature fourteen year olds. I actually had a lot of first experiences at fourteen, and that's when the teen world really opened up for me. I guess we're just the smart ones, haha.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 04, 2011 12:05AM) (new)

Her name is Kris and she found so many issues in my book that I never would have seen and totally made the book flow. She has a really good eye. Her e-mail is mypromarketers@gmail.com. She's on Goodreads but I have no idea how to add her page into this message. Besides, no matter how many times you go through it you just won't see those things - we're too close to our own work.

I'm still laughing at the Snooki thing ... and trying to hold back the tears at the same time lol.

Querying sucks. It was harder for me to write query letters than it was writing the book! Just don't give up. Stephen King had a railroad spike filled with rejections and the only reason he became published was because his wife pulled Carrie out of the trash after he'd given up and made him keep going.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 04, 2011 12:09AM) (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/22...

Okay, maybe I can figure it out. That's the link to her page.

Oh, and just out of random curiosity ... is that mask you're wearing for something or part of a costume? : ))

message 12: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Yes, I believe that is true. The whole, being too close to our own work thing. I have tried to look at it like I was seeing it for the first time. A reader, not the author, but it really is hard. Thank you so much for her e-mail!
Haha, I did not know that about Stephen King. Wow. How awesome though. so, if he had never had that woman in his life, he would most likely never have been published. You, know, this is another good reason why we are lucky in this day and age to have self publishing now.

message 13: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Sean wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/22...

Oh, and just out of random curiosity ... is that mask you're wearing for somethi..."

Haha, it's all for fun. I have always been rather creative when it comes to making my siblings laugh. Plus, they are a good audience to practice my acting on.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I've tried that too. Doesn't work. At all!

Vince Flynne was rejected so many times that he decided to self publish. He couldn't find an agent, and now the CIA actually suggests to all their agents that they read his books for insight into special operations. Plus he's a NY Times bestseller. There are a lot of stories like that.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Racheal wrote: "Sean wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/22...

Oh, and just out of random curiosity ... is that mask you're wearing fo..."

lol, got it!

message 16: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Sean wrote: "I've tried that too. Doesn't work. At all!

Vince Flynne was rejected so many times that he decided to self publish. He couldn't find an agent, and now the CIA actually suggests to all their a..."

So I have noticed! I have been talking about self published authors who really made a name for themselves, because traditional publishers turned them down. And they are still doing it, the publishers. They think the money lies in selling horrible books by celebrities who don't even know how to spell their own name. What ever happened to the time when books were magical getaways for the mind? Where publishers jumped at the chance to snatch up the next brilliant book, by the next brilliant mind? But, you know what? Self publishing is just wonderful, and I have found so many great books from indie authors. It's good to know that there will always be a way to read those magical books, whether a publisher wants it or not.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

So you're saying you're not a fan of any of Paris Hilton's books lol? They were classics! Yeah, don't even get me started. She probably thinks a thesaurus is some type of dinosaur! If you can't write your own book you shouldn't be published - simple as that.

Things have changed, but I still hold out hope the current trend is just a little wobble and things will get back on track when the fad has run it's course.

message 18: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Oh my god! now you have me in tears! No, I will never be a fan! And yes, I agree, if you can't write it yourself, then you shouldn't be published.

I just have this feeling that it will get worse instead. But, who knows, maybe publishers will pull their heads out of the sand and realize how well all these indie authors are doing, and how much money,(not to mention customers) they have lost due to their ignorance.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Is it bad that I'm laughing at my own joke lol?

I hope it doesn't get too much worse; but I guess it has to before it can get any better.

message 20: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments No way, totally funny! And sadly, I can see it getting much much worse before it gets better. They have to exhaust it first. Who will be next?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm cringing at the thought ....

Did you see the whole 'boycott the KArdashians' thing on Facebook? Was Yahoo front page news a few days ago. How do you get famous for not doing anything?!?!?!

message 22: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments No I didn't see that. I don't know. I am so sick of the Kardashian sisters. Especially the last thing, with Kim getting married. Oh God! That's the book that will end it all! If Kim Kardashian "wrote" a book, it will end it all.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

You mean the whole sham of a marriage for ratings thing? Oye!

Listen, I gotta sign off, but will chat tomorrow if you're around : ))

message 24: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Sean wrote: "You mean the whole sham of a marriage for ratings thing? Oye!

Listen, I gotta sign off, but will chat tomorrow if you're around : ))"

Yeah Definitely! I am exhausted too! Thanks so much! It was great getting to know you!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Racheal wrote: "Sean wrote: "You mean the whole sham of a marriage for ratings thing? Oye!

Listen, I gotta sign off, but will chat tomorrow if you're around : ))"

Yeah Definitely! I am exhausted too! Thanks so ..."

Same goes here.

message 26: by Y. (new)

Y. Correa (authorycorrea) | 10 comments I'm a writer. I have two full length stories already published and a hand full of short stories that I give to the public for free. Both of my full length novels are paranormal, interracial, YA. Both are also two part to a collection. I'm working on the 3rd part now. However, I've decided to go slow on that part.

How did the ideas come about?...... Hmmm, I wish I had an answer for that question. I don't really know. They were just there. In my head. So, I put them on paper... And, done!

:-)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Y. wrote: "I'm a writer. I have two full length stories already published and a hand full of short stories that I give to the public for free. Both of my full length novels are paranormal, interracial, YA. Bo..."

It's always nice when the ideas are already there in your head. Do you find that they change at all when you put them to paper, or come out pretty much like they were when you first had the idea?

message 28: by Y. (new)

Y. Correa (authorycorrea) | 10 comments That typically depends on the day... if that makes any sense to you at all.

You see, for the most part the ideas remain the same. However, there are days were it changes. And that day may influence that path of the story. It may take a different path, but the ideas eventually finds itself back to the original road.

It's sort of seeing a movie in my head... and the movie scenery may vary from day to day, yet the end result is pretty much what I wanted it to be.

For example, when I was writing "In Love With Death", at one point I thought that the story was going to be over... mainly, I think, because my mood was down and my head couldn't visualize what could happen next or how it would happen. You see, I already knew what I wanted to accomplish in the story, yet, that day in particular, I just couldn't figure it out. Then, all of the sudden, it just came to me. Making the end result just what I wanted it to be.

Did my babbling make any sense to you? lol

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

It does lol. Sometimes I wish I could have that kind of control over my stories, but no matter what I do it always changes as it goes on. I always tell people if they were to look at the notes for my latest book and compare them to the finished product, they'd totally think someone else wrote it!

message 30: by Y. (new)

Y. Correa (authorycorrea) | 10 comments Lmao! Too funny!

But, either way you do it... If you are a control freak like me, or if your a wild child, like you... It's still super fun!

I love writing. But, my case of "Home Grown OCD" makes me want to have everything in perfect control. Lol... But, no matter, it's still fun as can be.

I can tell you this... At least you write notes, which is great. I don't! Never have! Don't think I ever will. Lol.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

lol, I'm thinking I should probably just not write notes anymore either! It's not like they're doing me any good anyway.

message 32: by Y. (new)

Y. Correa (authorycorrea) | 10 comments Lol... True, true. Very true.

message 33: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Sean wrote: "It does lol. Sometimes I wish I could have that kind of control over my stories, but no matter what I do it always changes as it goes on. I always tell people if they were to look at the notes fo..."

This is what happens to me! I have no control. My characters come alive, and decided where they want to go. Sometimes they take my advice, but mostly they are stubborn.

message 34: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments On the subject of notes, I find it good to write notes. More like summaries. Before I write for the day, I write down where I want the story to go, details, specifics. I get organized, so there is no guessing, or stopping to think. Just flowing. It will change, like I said, my characters are always stubborn, but it helps to gain my word count. And I have a direction.

message 35: by Y. (new)

Y. Correa (authorycorrea) | 10 comments Another great trick that I told a friend of mine about is using a voice recorder. You can get a miniature voice recorder, they run around $20.00, and instead of note, just talk. Then all you have to do is rewind and write. It serves the same purpose, except you're saving having a million papers roaming around your work space.

message 36: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Y. wrote: "Another great trick that I told a friend of mine about is using a voice recorder. You can get a miniature voice recorder, they run around $20.00, and instead of note, just talk. Then all you have t..."

I just recycle, LOL. But, no, seriously, I just use one page a day. Basically, I am writing out what I will type out, only in not so many words. Like a summary with some details thrown in. I just find it easier for myself. I wouldn't be able to do a recorder.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 05, 2011 12:22AM) (new)

Racheal wrote: "Sean wrote: "It does lol. Sometimes I wish I could have that kind of control over my stories, but no matter what I do it always changes as it goes on. I always tell people if they were to look at..."

Yes! No control whatsoever! I'm beginning to think they're defying me on purpose lol. I think one thing, they do another; I think they should go here, they go there. It is a wild ride though.

The voice recorder idea is a good one. You should see my desk! Well ... actually, you can't see it at all - it's somewhere under there ...

message 38: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Sean wrote: "Racheal wrote: "Sean wrote: "It does lol. Sometimes I wish I could have that kind of control over my stories, but no matter what I do it always changes as it goes on. I always tell people if they..."

LOL. Yes, the character can be a bit much sometimes.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, fellow authors! I'm Alexandra, and I have two published novels. I write YA fiction, and I love to dabble in all different genres. I also have a blog where I do interviews, reviews, giveaways, etc. Check it out if you'd like: http://www.wordsoftheworlds.blogspot.com

I agree! Characters never seem to listen to what you have to say, and I think they do defy you on purpose (nice turn of phrase, Sean!). During NaNo this year, my characters were completely unruly. One of them I actually ended up not being able to stand, which was bad...since she was the main character (she got better after a little while).

Nice to see some more writers!

@Sean: I've recently started Grim's, and I really like it so far. :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Alexandra wrote: "Hello, fellow authors! I'm Alexandra, and I have two published novels. I write YA fiction, and I love to dabble in all different genres. I also have a blog where I do interviews, reviews, giveaways..."

Hi Alexandra,

Happy to hear you're not hating it lol! I hope you saw my review of your book - finished it yesterday. A lot of fun, like I said in the review. And it took no time at all to read it.

It's really wierd. I was actually right in the middle of recommending it to my friends here when I saw your post here...

message 41: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Sean wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "Hello, fellow authors! I'm Alexandra, and I have two published novels. I write YA fiction, and I love to dabble in all different genres. I also have a blog where I do interviews, ..."

What is the book called? I will add it to my to-read list.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

message 43: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Renwick (Racheal_Renwick) | 59 comments Sean wrote: "Clara Claus"

Thanks

message 44: by Y. (new)

Y. Correa (authorycorrea) | 10 comments Hello everyone. Hi Alexandra! I will take a look at your book and add it to my "to read" list also. If Sean likes it I'm sure I will as well.

I always say, "We were Readers before we were Writers"... :-)

Y.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Y. wrote: "Hello everyone. Hi Alexandra! I will take a look at your book and add it to my "to read" list also. If Sean likes it I'm sure I will as well.

I always say, "We were Readers before we were Writers"..."

This is very true! I was definitely reading before writing, though I still read now. I'm reading Sean's book, in fact. :)

Thanks for adding my book, everyone. And thanks Sean for the review! I'm very glad that you liked it! And I doubt I could hate your book. It has a very interesting plot so far, and I'm really enjoying reading it. Thanks for the copy.

message 46: by Pia Cathrin (last edited Dec 27, 2011 03:28PM) (new)

Pia Cathrin (cathy1967) | 2 comments I'm also an aspiring author. :) I've written fan-fic for years without end and published most of it online (never paid, though). Now I'm trying my hand at original fiction and I'm liking it so far. Whether this sci-fi/horror tale I'm working on will ever become something more than just a fic posted on my website I don't know. But I aim at finishing it and I hope others like it. :)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Pia Cathrin wrote: "I'm also an aspiring author. :) I've written fan-fic for years without end and published most of it online (never paid, though). Now I'm trying my hand at original fiction and I'm liking it so far...."

Great! I wish you the best. I personally would be happy to see more sci-fi/horror published. Keep shooting for the stars! :D

message 48: by Pia Cathrin (new)

Pia Cathrin (cathy1967) | 2 comments Alexandra wrote: "Pia Cathrin wrote: "I'm also an aspiring author. :) I've written fan-fic for years without end and published most of it online (never paid, though). Now I'm trying my hand at original fiction and I..."

Thank you, Alexandra. :)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Pia Cathrin wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "Pia Cathrin wrote: "I'm also an aspiring author. :) I've written fan-fic for years without end and published most of it online (never paid, though). Now I'm trying my hand at orig..."

You're welcome. :D